PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal?

LightningSpeed
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
To signal to other drivers that there are police in the area.

Example:

2 way road, I pass a cop, cop is catching speeders with radar/laser, I see incoming vehicle, I high beam once or twice to notify other driver of police presence, and the other driver slows down and avoids a speeding ticket. (this is assuming that the other driver knows what I meant with the high beaming)

I always did this to try to save others, and I do not know why this does not catch on, like how when bikers pass each other they wave. So can't cars use some type of signaling (2-3 fast highbeams) to one another to warn of police trying to catch speeders over the ridge or bend?

Stormhammer
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes, it is illegal in certain areas.

90_ACCORD
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
To signal to other drivers that there are police in the area.

Example:

2 way road, I pass a cop, cop is catching speeders with radar/laser, I see incoming vehicle, I high beam once or twice to notify other driver of police presence, and the other driver slows down and avoids a speeding ticket. (this is assuming that the other driver knows what I meant with the high beaming)

I always did this to try to save others, and I do not know why this does not catch on, like how when bikers pass each other they wave. So can't cars use some type of signaling (2-3 fast highbeams) to one another to warn of police trying to catch speeders over the ridge or bend?

ive seen people do it and they have saved me a couple times and i try to do it when i think about it but whether or not its illegal im not sure

90_ACCORD
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes, it is illegal.

whats the charge then if you get caught?

uproot
10-07-2008, 10:12 PM

probably improper use of high beams

Z33_kid
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
well i belive you did the right thing reps !!! +1

Stormhammer
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM

For me it it fell under " Flashing High Beams "

Stormhammer
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Looking into it, its only if you flash your high beams repeatedly ( not once ) - and its based on the only vehicles allowed to have flashing lights are emergency vehicles or something like that.

Also, for me I was stated that I was interfering with police operations and was about to get hit with a pretty nice fine - I told them I didn't know there was a speed trap and accidently hit my high beam switch.

Now if you are warning of a hazard up ahead, that's actually allowable.

Truth of the matter is it varies area to area, and in the end the police will 99% have no evidence, so plead not guilty ( like I did ) and it gets dismissed.

DecoyOctopus
10-07-2008, 11:08 PM
i think youd get charged with police cockbolcking

LightningSpeed
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I will do this for the rest of my life, return the favor! :goodjob:

redrumracer
10-07-2008, 11:28 PM
i do this and if caught you were simply alerting on coming motorist of a hazard that is ahead so that they may take proper caution. also in most countries the option to flash the headlight is called flash to pass in which it is used to alert motorist in front of you to move the hell over so you can pass.

MR2DR
10-07-2008, 11:33 PM
it's illegal.. obstructing justice much??
i do it nonetheless =]

NewGen33
10-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I also do it because a lot of people will do it for me.

Stormhammer
10-07-2008, 11:57 PM
i do this and if caught you were simply alerting on coming motorist of a hazard that is ahead so that they may take proper caution. also in most countries the option to flash the headlight is called flash to pass in which it is used to alert motorist in front of you to move the hell over so you can pass.

technically you flick your light switch foward and it stays - thats high beams - the other way thats almost spring loaded? It's called Flash To Pass.

In the end it's based on what the police officer views it as unfortunately.

Shawna
10-08-2008, 12:04 AM
yes it is

slostang
10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
yes it is.

it's basically called some techinal term meaning that you blew the cops cover.

but nevertheless I do it.

LightningSpeed
10-08-2008, 12:59 AM
BUT, HOW CAN THE POLICE SEE IT IF YOU'VE ALREADY PASSSSED THEM??? I mean why would you high beam/flash while they can see you...but then at night I guess they might be able to tell, however, during the day just do it after you pass them and it should be no problem right? LOL unless the guy getting the warning snitches...

Stormhammer
10-08-2008, 01:11 AM
BUT, HOW CAN THE POLICE SEE IT IF YOU'VE ALREADY PASSSSED THEM??? I mean why would you high beam/flash while they can see you...but then at night I guess they might be able to tell, however, during the day just do it after you pass them and it should be no problem right? LOL unless the guy getting the warning snitches...

Wanna know how I got pulled over? I warned an oncoming car of the speedtrap he was about to get into. Oncoming car turned on some blue lights and white strobes.

SixSquared
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
it's illegal.. obstructing justice much??
i do it nonetheless =]

What he said. If the cop wants to be ******* of the year, he can toss you in jail for obstruction of justice. But it's hard for cops to catch people doing it, because you generally do it when you're already past the cop, and if another cop sees you, you could probably get away with saying you thought the oncoming driver had their brights on or something.

But technically, I'm pretty sure it is in fact illegal.

Ran
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Wanna know how I got pulled over? I warned an oncoming car of the speedtrap he was about to get into. Oncoming car turned on some blue lights and white strobes. :lmfao: :lmfao:

SloWRX
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
yes it is illegal but ive been saved from a speeding ticket multiple times by other drivers so i do it too to return the favor :)

nsany(atl)
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM

when you flash your light the rear night driving lights flash on and off also

Frög
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
It is illegal!! obstruction to justice!!

I do it, everytime.. Ive been saved many times..

BobbyFresco
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I do it all the time but it seems like less ppl are doing it these days. I guess they're too busy talking on their phones and texting to give a fuk.

ironchef
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Wanna know how I got pulled over? I warned an oncoming car of the speedtrap he was about to get into. Oncoming car turned on some blue lights and white strobes.Lols, that almost happened to me. I passed a cop car, saw an oncoming car, and flashed him. As he was passing me, he turned out to be a cop. I floored that *****, and got off that road as fast as possible haha.

boostedb16
10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
i used to do it until i put H.I.D's on my car and lost my high beams lol. i got caught the same way by flashing a cop t slow down and i used the "i thought your high beams were on" excuse and it worked.

C-loS109
10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
when you flash your light the rear night driving lights flash on and off also
u cant be serious? :thinking:

blaknoize
10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
We all gotta look out for one another. I do have a question bout this though. If u delay the flash, say every 3 secs or so, does it not count as a violation?

Matter a fact, I'ma ask Ohio State Patrol someday soon.

jwrape
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes, it is. My friend got a ticket for it in Lawrenceville. It was thrown out but there must be a law against it if he was issues a citation. :screwy:

I do remember hearing something else about it in the news once where the person went to court and argued that it was an infringement on their rights and got off. :thinking:

Julio
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I used to do it.. and then realize.. **** that, let people get busted for speeding..

Evil Goat
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
i was pulled over by gsp for this exact thing, as i was pulling out onto a highway in my county i saw gsp tucking himself into a well known spot in the woods, i proceeded to blink my lights several times warning the other side of the highway of what was happening, next thing i know i have gsp all over my ass.....he said the ticket would have been for "faulty equipment" or something along those lines, he was cool enough to let me go....needless to say i dont blink anymore, **** speeders, you get what you deserve just like i do

NEMO
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
BUT, HOW CAN THE POLICE SEE IT IF YOU'VE ALREADY PASSSSED THEM???

sometime they set up a trap for people who flash their lights. for ex. you pass a cop and then yo warn the on coming traffic but sitting up ahead is another cop watching for people to flash.

so yes this is illegal. i learned it in DD class

you are able to warn people of hazard ahead then the prop way is to cut lights off then back on. do not use your high beams