PDA

View Full Version : hi quick question amps and stuff

Pikachu
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
My audio system consist of these items:

Subwoofer--> just one 12'' Memphis PR12S4------250RMS & 500max
Amplifier---> Kicker 120.2 im guessing it will support 120watts to 2 subs :thinking:

Question is: How many watts is my sub getting 120watts or 240 watts cuz im just running one subwoofer, and on the part where u put your speaker wire from your sub to your amp( that connecting area part) it has one connecting thing on the far left for sub #1 and to the far right it has a connecting thing for sub #2, question is, i wired the (+) on the far left and wired (-) to the far right, is this correct :thinking:

If someone asked me, how many watts do you have on your system what am i suppose to say? Do i add the RMS watts from the amp and the RMS on the subwoofer together or do u just add the amp RMS watts???

Sammich
10-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I DONT KNOW YOUR TOTAL SPECS..BUT FROM WHAT YOU ARE SAYING..THAT AMP WONT SUFFICE W/ THE BASICS THAT YOUR SUB NEEDS TO PUSH IT..U NEED AN AMP THAT WILL SUPPLY AT LEAST 250 WATTS PER SPEAKER..

YOU HAVE A TWO CHANNEL AMP..EACH CHANNEL GOES TO A SPEAKER/SUB...EACH SPEAKER/SUB WILL GET 120 WATTS..IF U WANT TO BRIDGE..U CAN HAVE 240WATTS PER SUB

BanginJimmy
10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
it is wired correctly and your sub is getting around 240wrms. That should be plenty of wattage to get the full performance of the sub.

Sammich
10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
it is wired correctly and your sub is getting around 240wrms. That should be plenty of wattage to get the full performance of the sub.

thought rms of a sub..was basically 'just to get it started':thinking:

Pikachu
10-06-2008, 02:42 PM

thanks alot and would that mean my system consist of around 240wrms or can i add the rms specs of the sub and the rms specs of the amp :thinking:

BanginJimmy
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
thought rms of a sub..was basically 'just to get it started':thinking:

RMS is the amount of CLEAN power a sub can handle or amp produce without exceding thermal or mechanical limits of the equipment.

For a sub, you can do damage with too much power by melting the voice coil, or exceding the range of movement (xmax).

For an amp, you can do damage by exceding the amount of heat that the design of the amp can dissipate. Also you run into issues with clipping the signal to the sub, causing damage to the sub.

BanginJimmy
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks alot and would that mean my system consist of around 240wrms or can i add the rms specs of the sub and the rms specs of the amp :thinking:

sub and amp are 2 seperate things. The amp will produce ~240wrms at 4ohm mono. You sub's power handling is 250wrms at 4ohms. Your sub and amp match perfectly in their present configuration.

98cvy
10-28-2008, 07:04 AM
^^^= correct i run the same sub with the mcd250 Memphis amp and its a nice setup.what do you have it car and box wise?

oh and as a side note you probably aren't getting the full wattage of your amp most amps do not run the true wattage they are rated for,hence why i went with Memphis bc all their amps are the true rating