PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods decisions, your input

slow_hatch
09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
After about 2 years of sitting I have got my hatch back on the road. It is a 89 civic hatchback with a LS swap. The car sits pretty much stock, stock air box, stock exhaust, etc. It has been a great motor, but i'm looking to get more power, this is of course where a turbo comes in. I don't have a ton of disposable income to put into this car, but I want more out of it. Turbo parts for the b series motors are definatly more expensive, and not as plentiful as with d series motors. I have been debating on whether or not to jump back to a d series motor. I have local junkyards with HF manifolds, turbos, etc. With all this said, I just want a fast fun car without dropping lots of $$

thanks

D16Civic
09-04-2005, 03:57 PM
what kind of power are you wanting to make?
personally, if it was me, i think i would keep the LS and turbo it rather than go back to a d series.

im sure you know about homemadeturbo.com where you can find good deals on parts, cuz really, the only difference you would have to make from d to b series would be the manifold which might cost a more since there is no hf. Of course, you would probably want a little bigger turbo but you can still find those for pretty good prices.

Plus, you will be making more power, and then if you can always upgrade.
You will make less power out of a stock d series turbo than a stock LS and would have to spend more money just to get it to the stock LS's power level.

So, in conclusion, keep the LS

slow_hatch
09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
yeah, I would rather have an LS turbo than d series. I probably should just stop thinking about it. Stupid $$$

b18hb
09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
just don't get in a hurry. i cut repair costs in half for my car just by being patient. frequent this board and several others, keeping an eye out for used parts. ebay is another good place to look. do your research and buy only what is necessary for your power goal. you don't need a big turbo if you only want 200 or 250 hp, etc.