PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Drag Race claims life @ Atlanta Dragway in Commerce today

ryanh300
10-05-2008, 01:37 AM
A buddy and I were watching the NHRA drag races today at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce and all was going well for most of the races but the Funny cars came up. The first one out of the gate ran fine to the 1/4 mile mark...I don't really remember what he ran but it was @ 180 mph. After he got across the line you could hear a popping noise, as he continued down the track..not stopping. After not deploying his parachutes or pushing on the brakes, he proceeds to crash into the woods after about another 1/4 mile.

The crowd went silent and the announcer said "looks like he just ran over the sand pile down there at the end of the track, we have emergency teams on the way to help him" and nothing happened for like 45 minutes. We finally got fed up of watching nothing so we went down to the end of the track and learned that it was a 60-something year old man from up north who was test driving the 2009 Camaro funny car for someone and apparently passed out, or got knocked out, at the wheel and didn't stop. He ran into the trees probably going over 200 and died on impact.

They brought a Hurst back and everything..it was extremely sad :cry:. So they ended up cancelling the rest of the races for the night as they cleaned up the scene and investigated it. They never made it official and announced it over the speakers, but some NHRA reps came up and told us that the rest of the day was cancelled. I tried to look online to find any information about the guy but it hasn't made it online yet I guess. So if we could all pray for this man and his loved ones as they are probably going through a really tough time. :no:

AlanŽ
10-05-2008, 01:39 AM
damn dude that blows for his family

Shawna
10-05-2008, 01:40 AM
wow

IMPORTchic
10-05-2008, 01:57 AM
That sucks and is sad.... WHere are the pics???????

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-05-2008, 02:23 AM
^ You and me, tonight.

Your place.

Your bed.

Fuk a condom.

IMPORTchic
10-05-2008, 02:26 AM
^ You and me, tonight.

Your place.

Your bed.

Fuk a condom.

:thinking: I could have swore you were a chic.....

ANYWAYS.......when?!!? :D

....SIKE!! :tongue1:

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-05-2008, 02:28 AM
^ WTF?

Quit stalking me.

IMPORTchic
10-05-2008, 02:33 AM
^ WTF?

Quit stalking me.

:rolleyes: Yesss mam'm.....I mean...sir....

HeLLo iM iZzY
10-05-2008, 02:35 AM

SixSquared
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow. I'm curious to see the outcome of the investigation to see if it had anything to do with the track. I hate running on Commerce, and if it was something to do with the track, then they should be held fully responsible, as there have been complaints about that track for years.

Sucks for his family... keep us posted as you find out more info, please?

Elbow
10-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Very sad.

^Complaints from slow cars on Fast Fridays because they don't prep it.

green91
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Thats really sad to hear. If the guy didnt pop the chute, i dont see how it could be he tracks fault?

ryanh300
10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I still haven't found out anything...they usually make a bigger deal out of it when a person dies. I don't get it.

Mik2006
10-05-2008, 12:02 PM
damn.

Elbow
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Could be family request not to put it out yet? Are you SURE he died?

Motivation
10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
He said they brought the hurst back... Not really sure why they would do that though... Wouldn't they still transport him in an ambulance?

redrumracer
10-05-2008, 03:36 PM
He said they brought the hurst back... Not really sure why they would do that though... Wouldn't they still transport him in an ambulance?
yea even if the corner came out they would still have to transport in an ambulance

Could be family request not to put it out yet? Are you SURE he died?
Even if the family requested that it not be published the press could still go with the story regardless of what the family wants. its called freedom of press.

Motivation
10-05-2008, 03:42 PM
But, they wouldn't be able to give any details on the family or anything, right to privacy... They would be able to mention the death, where it was at, and investigation was still pending pretty much...

Elbow
10-05-2008, 03:43 PM
^True, but I have seen it happen before.

FasTech
10-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Damn this is crazy! I feel really bad for his family.

redrumracer
10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
But, they wouldn't be able to give any details on the family or anything, right to privacy... They would be able to mention the death, where it was at, and investigation was still pending pretty much...
yea they would have to keep the private stuff private, but to some its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

collins
10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
damn that sucks! sad to hear when racing claims a life. :(

ryanh300
10-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I'm 100% positive that he died and I was thinking the same thing about the hurst...wouldn't they have to have to prepare the body and do examinations before they put him in a hurst? But nonetheless, I saw one drive by.

SuperChicken
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Sorry, guys, but it's "hearse".

Stormhammer
10-06-2008, 01:32 AM
http://forums.dragcoverage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=122323340 7

TAFC RACER MARTINDALE FATALLY INJURED
Written by NHRA Communications
Sunday, 05 October 2008

Bobby Martindale, 65, of Glen Allen, Va., suffered fatal injuries in a high-speed racing accident Saturday during the NHRA Southeast Division Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series race. Preliminary reports are that his Top Alcohol Funny Car experienced engine failure and continued down the racetrack at a high rate of speed.

http://www.nhra.com/content/sportsman_news.asp?articleid=33158&zoneid=85

Bobby Martindale, 65, of Glen Allen, Va., suffered fatal injuries in a high-speed racing accident Saturday during the NHRA Southeast Division Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series race. Preliminary reports are that his Top Alcohol Funny Car experienced engine failure and continued down the racetrack at a high rate of speed.

Martindale, a veteran drag racer, was 11th in the Division 2 point standings. Racing was halted after the incident on Saturday and NHRA immediately began conducting an investigation. Racing was scheduled to resume on Sunday, Oct. 5.

Martindale is survived by his wife Geraldine and family.

The NHRA sends its sincerest condolences to the Martindale family and friends.

BlueHatch
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
i thought they cut the race length back to 1000 feet so this didnt happen anymore