PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Stroking worth it?

LS2ner
03-21-2005, 04:26 AM
If i were to go to the all motor route would getting a stroker kit be worth it or would be is better to just do a custom build on the bottom end?

99SI
03-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I asked Vteckidd this exact same question before we started my build. Make sure you do your headwork and valvetrain first.

Vteckidd
03-21-2005, 01:01 PM
is it worth it, yes and no. what motor do you have. if you have a B16, i could see a Eagle Crank that would stroke the motor to 1.8 being worth it. but the cost of a Eagle crank is roughly 800$. for $200 more you can sleeve it to 84.5mm and have a 1.8l that retains the B16 crank and the 1.56 rod stroke ratio= a 1.8 liter that can rev fast and reliably. A stroker crank can cause rod/stroke issues, and accelerated bearing wear isues do to the extra stroke. be sure tyo use forged internals.

I personally do not like stroker kits, i would rather sleeve the block. if you want discplacement, i would look at GE Sleeves out to 84mm before i did a stroker motor.

now if you got money, you can do TRICK setups with stroker kits like long rod to keep the pistons speed down , tall deck block, etc. but thats $$

LS2ner
03-21-2005, 05:06 PM
i think im gonna go the all motor route...id love to run boost but in the long run it doesnt seem worth it to me. I was looking around and found a eagle stroker kit on summitracing.com ..said the ratio was 11.5:1 i think...it was the piston/rod/crank combo. So i gotta reconfig my bottom end now for n/a since i was thinking on running boost.

93H22ACX
06-02-2005, 07:40 AM
why isnt boost worth it to you if you dont mind me asking :D

chuck
06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
i guess they like the glory of being the fastest slow car???

flysi00
06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
^^^^^^^^lol lol lol

Spyder
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM

so true. i wasnt going to be mean about it because everybody has their own reasons for doing things.

RiceBoy
06-02-2005, 01:44 PM

isn't the integra that you just bought still NA? :D

Spyder
06-02-2005, 01:56 PM

i think it is but it is sexy so it makes up for being slow.

93H22ACX
06-02-2005, 02:19 PM

yes but i never said i wasnt going to go turbo :) i am going turbo....

VRRRRMMMM PSSSSSSH

ash7
06-04-2005, 12:41 AM
be sure tyo use forged internals.
amen to that

I personally do not like stroker kits, i would rather sleeve the block. if you want discplacement, i would look at GE Sleeves out to 84mm before i did a stroker motor.I have had bad experiences with GE sleeves, twice they have sunk... I'm not sure whether it's the shop, or if it's how i drive, or what... so i switched to sleeves installed by Rocket Motorsports and i have had not a peep since. :)

93H22ACX
06-04-2005, 06:48 AM
amen to that

I have had bad experiences with GE sleeves, twice they have sunk... I'm not sure whether it's the shop, or if it's how i drive, or what... so i switched to sleeves installed by Rocket Motorsports and i have had not a peep since. :)

who installed the sleeves, GE?

LS2ner
06-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Well i cant actually make up my mind as to what i want to do.. Most certainly i want to turbo but the cost of building the engine then turbo'ing didnt seem realistic to me atm. I was thinking of going All motor because i can spend less money and still get good power. I may just say F'k it and Supercharge it after i build her.

Vteckidd
06-04-2005, 11:01 AM
so i switched to sleeves installed by Rocket Motorsports and i have had not a peep since. :)

Rocket uses Darton Sleeves
should have asked me, im a rocket dealer

LIKEG6
06-05-2005, 01:52 PM

It's harder to make a fast all-motor car, than to just slap on a turbo and be done with it....I would give someone with all-motor more probs than a turbo one

93H22ACX
06-05-2005, 02:55 PM
yes but not everyone who slaps on a turbo can make high hp. i understand what ur saying though. but i just cant see myself spending $1200 for 20whp anymore but its just me.

I will one day do an all motor again.

green91
06-05-2005, 10:05 PM
i stroke it every night. its definately worth it every time.

RiceBoy
06-06-2005, 11:23 AM
i stroke it every night. its definately worth it every time.

i didn't know you like to be stroked, I thought you like to be blown. :)

93H22ACX
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
nastyness...Good luck tomorrow with your test :D

ash7
06-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Rocket uses Darton Sleeves
should have asked me, im a rocket dealer
all of this was done last summer before i moved back down here. I read up on their site, saw they used Darton sleeves and decided that "enough was enough" I spent the extra money on what i KNEW was a rock solid reputation.

who installed the sleeves, GE?
nuh uh, it was a local import machine shop up in Virginia Beach. I ordered the GE sleeves and took them to the shop myself.

so true. i wasnt going to be mean about it because everybody has their own reasons for doing things.I do it for the look on some punks face when he stares at my car, revs and blows off at a stop light... and then watches in sheer horror (this can't be happening!) as i pull by him without any "assistance" from boost.
It's all worth it... every single dime ;)

RiceBoy
06-07-2005, 09:26 AM
all of this was done last summer before i moved back down here. I read up on their site, saw they used Darton sleeves and decided that "enough was enough" I spent the extra money on what i KNEW was a rock solid reputation.

nuh uh, it was a local import machine shop up in Virginia Beach. I ordered the GE sleeves and took them to the shop myself.

I do it for the look on some punks face when he stares at my car, revs and blows off at a stop light... and then watches in sheer horror (this can't be happening!) as i pull by him without any "assistance" from boost.
It's all worth it... every single dime ;)

You sure they are GE sleeves? From my understanding, GE doesn't sell their sleeves. They are only installed in house.

ash7
06-07-2005, 07:27 PM
You sure they are GE sleeves? From my understanding, GE doesn't sell their sleeves. They are only installed in house.
yes, they were GE Godzilla sleeves