PDA

View Full Version : Your take on earmarks

BanginJimmy
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
The question is simple. What do you think about the use of earmarks in otherwise unrelated bills.

Are they simple bribery to garner votes for bills that would otherwise be shot down?

Are they a necessary part of the way in which our federal govt helps fund important state projects without the hassell of an independant bill?

Not nearly as big of a deal as some would like you to think.

And I made this public. I would like to know your reasoning also.

I say bribery. How many people changed their vote for this bailout plan when the Senate added in extra money, totalling nearly $1B, for individual pet projects that ahd no federal significance.

4dmin
10-03-2008, 01:33 PM
It is an easy way to get things done in your home state w/ such. does there need more regulation? yes.

i do find this funny coming from a republican b/c palin is poster child for such and McCain is completely against it. :rolleyes:

i think the total $ in earmarks was around 18 Billion - though a lot of money it isn't compared to lots of other gov spending.

let me clarify i think they are fine when used for greater good (infrastructure), but i think it is pork spending when it is to study sea crab mating (see palins earmarks and you will find sh!t just like this)

BanginJimmy
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
It is an easy way to get things done in your home state w/ such. does there need more regulation? yes.

i do find this funny coming from a republican b/c palin is poster child for such and McCain is completely against it. :rolleyes:

i think the total $ in earmarks was around 18 Billion - though a lot of money it isn't compared to lots of other gov spending.

let me clarify i think they are fine when used for greater good (infrastructure), but i think it is pork spending when it is to study sea crab mating (see palins earmarks and you will find sh!t just like this)

Govt funding for state projects is fine by me when it is introduced as a seperate bill, or a large group of individual projects are grouped together as a single bill. When it is added to a completely unrelated bill, such as those posted in the thread about the bailout, it is nothing more than simple bribery.

As far as earmarks for Alaska go, Alaska has always been at the forefront of earmarks. Part of that is the lack of industry there, so fewer tax dollars. Part of that is the abuse that infastrusture takes in that climate. Part of that is learned behavior. Does that excuse it, no, but the reasoning for many of the projects are different than some others.

2turbo4u
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
When did they come up with this term earmarks? I don't recall hearing it before all this mess with Palin and the government.

BanginJimmy
10-05-2008, 09:09 PM
earmarks have changed names a few times, but they have been around forever. They havent been an issue in an election before because McCain is one of a very few who dont use them and talks out against them. Other conidaes dont mention them because they used them also.