PDA

View Full Version : IT field....

SLOWR/T
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I have been looking at getting into the IT field for the past year. Im to the point of starting a school sometime next year. I was just wondering if anyone here is in the IT field and If they can give me any good advice or point me to a good school. I have spoke with computer training and they seem pretty good but like I said I have only been looking into this for about a year. TIA

SLOWR/T
10-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I know theres some people here in the IT field.

HyPer50
10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
supposedly computer training is pretty good, but i honestly just don't have 10k sitting around at the moment and they are a tech school so they don't accept any sort of financial aid or anything. right now i'm just doing the ghetto way and studying by myself and hopefully I can get a few certifications that way.

guinness
10-04-2008, 11:57 PM
i am in the IT field myself.i am a cisco and linux certified network professional and a free-lance web-designer.the IT field is the way to go.in my networking career,which is mostly cisco,i make DAMN good money and they even fly all over the place(s) that they need me to go.it really doesn't matter what school you go to,but how you take the knowledge you learn,apply it,show your abilities and value/worth to the company....and certifications help as well.if you have any questions or want more info.,feel free to pm me anytime.i'll get back to you as soon as possible when i'm not busy where i am at right now.good luck with it all!!

SLOWR/T
10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
i am in the IT field myself.i am a cisco and linux certified network professional and a free-lance web-designer.the IT field is the way to go.in my networking career,which is mostly cisco,i make DAMN good money and they even fly all over the place(s) that they need me to go.it really doesn't matter what school you go to,but how you take the knowledge you learn,apply it,show your abilities and value/worth to the company....and certifications help as well.if you have any questions or want more info.,feel free to pm me anytime.i'll get back to you as soon as possible when i'm not busy where i am at right now.good luck with it all!!

Thanks for the info. Ill shoot you a PM tomarrow.

puregroove
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
From what I've gathered, experience compliments education. I don't think other fields are as lenient as IT. Like guiness said, if you can show that you're as good as the rest, you'll most likely get the job.

All I have is an associate's from Gwinnett Tech. My experience was the other portion that jumped off of my resume. :goodjob: good luck, dude.

green91
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Get experience. Start off at geek squad or somewhere doing basic repair & support and work your way up.

guinness
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
From what I've gathered, experience compliments education. I don't think other fields are as lenient as IT. Like guiness said, if you can show that you're as good as the rest, you'll most likely get the job.

All I have is an associate's from Gwinnett Tech. My experience was the other portion that jumped off of my resume. :goodjob: good luck, dude.

that's exactly what i have is an associate's degree.a simple 2-year degree,but with the certifications(which are becoming more obsolete and i don't know why)and experience,that will have the biggest effect on your career getting started and becoming more and more valuable to the company.the only time a higher level of degree would be needed in the IT field is when you are getting into the development of it all as in writing/developing the software/hardware for the company(s) or whatever.it takes very little education-wise,but a whole lot from the person themselves to stand out above and beyond everyone else to get that high-paying job in the field.

David88vert
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I got into IT on my own. I have never taken anything more than a 3 day class at best. I've been working for a major corporation for years now, and can tell you without a doubt, that it is not just your technical skills, but you will need quality communication skills as well, and someone on the inside to get into an enterprise IT position. I can give you some insight if you are interested.

cobalt9123
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm hoping to break into the IT field as well.