PDA

View Full Version : General Chat ***NEWSFLASH*** "Old skool" now starts from the year 2000...

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Actually old school or old skool, as it is actually spelled is constantly changing so there is no definition so it is up for interpretation, but to most automotive groups in the world the dividing line is the year 2000. You just want to exclude anything that is post 1985, But I understand it is all about interpretation just like the Police interpret the law to their benefit. "Nostalgic" could better describe your meet. "don't bother checking Wikipedia they are deleting the definition of "Old School" as it is constantly changing. I already checked. Also checked urban dictionary. the number one definition was"Anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect. Can be used to refer to music, clothing, language, or anything really", and pre 2000 is considered to be an earlier era.

WOW!!! Where to break this bullshiit down. First off, old school is spelled exactly how I spelled it. Spelling skool this way is just a gimmicky, ghetto-fied way of spelling it. Now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the "heart" of your post.

You really believe that most automotive groups define old school as 2000 and back? Would you like another glass of malt liquor? I don't know of one person that would agree with this crap. I've never heard of one person referring anything made in the 90s as old school. Let alone an entire automotive group. What group are referring to because I'd love to check it out.

I/we want to exclude anything that is pre-1985? Damn right we do. This is an old school meet. Not a Japanese import meet. Go to BP or wherever meets are held on the regular if you want that.

As far as the cops comment? Stupidity reigns supreme with this.

2000 is "considered to be an earlier era." You're probably right. But that doesn't make it old school. You can make fiction about old school all you want, but it's not going to make it so. You decided to get your panties bunched up because some real knowledgeable people let you know the deal and now you're trying to retaliate with this crap? Find somewhere else to cry. Or just accept it and wait about 8-10 years and come on out. Maybe a cop will twist the law into his own mold for you here soon and you could wait your 8-10 over at the end of Boulevard.

Last, but not least, I'd like you other IA folks to chime in on this. Surely you are in agreement with me. The year 2000 being the cut off date for old school? What do you have to say? Later, QD.

IDCoconut
10-03-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm on the same boat. But a better way to put, I think, is "body-styles that were created in the 80's". Because, sometimes you have a car's body-style that is made all throughout the 80's, but is still considered old school.

An example would be an old 911 that is pre 964 era/ pre 1989 911. I'd consider that body style 911 old school at this time but it was really made before and after 1985. Not really sure what the original thread was about or if a 911 applies to this situation, but that's my 2cents.

x Resilience
10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Your car has to be older than QD to be considered old school. :lmao:

Stormhammer
10-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Hmm, QD I want your input

A Toyota Corolla GT-S aka AE86 is considered old school. It's production year started from 1984 to 1987. Now while 1987 isn't pre-1985, outside of maybe slight cosmetic changes, is it still considered old school since it is the exact same as the 1984 car?

I suppose what I'm getting at is, is it really applied to year specific, or more generation type.

Take a Starion for example. It started in 1983. Old school era. Flat bodies ended in 1987. In 1986 widebodies started, which production ended in 1989. Would you consider the flat bodies or the wide bodies old school based off of body style/platform? Or is it really honest to god broken down by year.

ubers2k
10-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I/we want to exclude anything that is pre-1985?

Shouldn't that read POST-1985?

And I've never considered a car in the 1990 and up range to be old school, and actually, I don't know of anyone that considers this either. So whoever is claiming that the line is from 2000 and lower needs to be slapped.

Jehu
10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I think IDCoconut got it...cars from the early 80's that may have been made still in the later 80's should be fine.

Oh, and 85.5 was the first year of the widebody SQ, wasn't it? If so, we in there! lol

But really, did a whole thread need to be opened on this? my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Jehu
10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Shouldn't that read POST-1985?

And I've never considered a car in the 1990 and up range to be old school, and actually, I don't know of anyone that considers this either. So whoever is claiming that the line is from 2000 and lower needs to be slapped.
What, my 95 Max isn't old school?! I've been ripped off! lol

I think if the car existed 25 years ago, even if it was made after that, should count. But not the 93 Impreza, sorry.

Again, my 2 cents...

ubers2k
10-03-2008, 08:23 AM
What, my 95 Max isn't old school?! I've been ripped off! lol

I think if the car existed 25 years ago, even if it was made after that, should count. But not the 93 Impreza, sorry.

Again, my 2 cents...

Well, like I said... I personally don't know of anyone that would consider anything after 1990 to be old school, but that doesn't mean others are the same way.

Ran
10-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Isn't 20 years traditionally the benchmark for "old school"? That's where I tend to draw the line. :dunno:

Total_Blender
10-03-2008, 09:00 AM
'85 VW GTI:
http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/1082790000/_i/2846669/1.jpg

1992 VW GTI
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1992/Volkswagen/6154/1992.volkswagen.gti.10660-T.jpg

Only '90's cars I would call "old school" are the MkII Golfs and Jettas. They kept the same design (other than changing the bumper fascias and the trim), and basically the same engine (but changed the management) from 1985 to 1992.

Stormhammer
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I think IDCoconut got it...cars from the early 80's that may have been made still in the later 80's should be fine.

Oh, and 85.5 was the first year of the widebody SQ, wasn't it? If so, we in there! lol

But really, did a whole thread need to be opened on this? my 2 cents for what it's worth...

85.5 was the intercooled 5 lugged flat body ;)

87 Turbo II
10-03-2008, 09:47 AM
when your car is considered an antique legally, it's old school. That's 25 years old and older. This year it's 83 and older, next year, 84 and older, and so on. Eventually 2000 WILL be considered old school at some point. This makes the most since to me. When it's 2035, we're not going to STILL have the cutoff at 1985.

Nerdsrock22
10-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I would definitely consider my Fit "old skool" now that the 09s came out.

:D

Ran
10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
when your car is considered an antique legally, it's old school. That's 25 years old and older.Oh? I thought the antique standard was 20 years? Guess I gotta re-up my standards.

blackshine007
10-03-2008, 10:17 AM
If you can legally order antique tags on it, it's old school, point blank.

Motivation
10-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I think if the car existed 25 years ago, even if it was made after that, should count.

How does that work? :thinking: lol.

Anyways, I think it is old school if it can have antique tags, also. Which would be around '83 this year... 7 more years and I'll have an old school again. :crazy:

DeeAOne
10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
soooo, i got about 5 years until i can sit next to the AE86 and RX3. :goodjob:

lol

Motivation
10-03-2008, 11:01 AM
no, you are the only exception... you are still not allowed... :taun:

Jehu
10-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I think if the car existed 25 years ago, even if it was made after that, should count.
How does that work? :thinking: lol.

Anyways, I think it is old school if it can have antique tags, also. Which would be around '83 this year... 7 more years and I'll have an old school again. :crazy:
After rereading it, let me clarify myself...if the same model and bodystyle etc was made after, it should be cool.

And antique is 25 years ( http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/plate.asp?ptitle=HA ). No emissions is 25 years too...

DeeAOne
10-03-2008, 11:05 AM
lol how? the 1st generation started in 86, and nothing really changed other than small cosmetic parts and a little more hp in 88-89. im legit. lol

PSINXS
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
2000 old school? LOLOLOLOL I was born in 1985, I barely got into the Old school era. if you can remember beastie boys and run dmc with regular airplay, you are old school. I remember when looney tunes was pretty much the dopest thing to watch on TV after school, u r old school.

If u had a tin lunchbox in kindergarten, had the original batmobile toy with the plastic "shield" that alwyas split at the ends and the yellow missile that shot out with no accuracy, you are old school. Year 2000 aint ish.

alpine_aw11
10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Being a young'n, I personally view old school as anything before I was born. Obviously there are going to be different definitions between age groups, but saying anything before 2000 is "old skool" seems like Georgia Public Education at its finest.

Big_Dave
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I really consider the AE86 as the first of the new school cars or last of the old school corolla,they have more in common with RWD TE series corollas. I really feel around 1986 was the last year of old school cars because most auto manufacturers had finally switched to fuel injection and a more modern or luxurious interiors. For example, the 300zx started in 1984 ran through 1989 but is mre of a new style car in terms of weight and luxury options.
Some cars such as the AE 86, Mitsubishi starion, the NissanZX series, and 200Sx were started in the early eighties. So I feel we can't just put a year model as the cut off. I feel the 240 sx is a modern era car even a 1989.
I also feel like an old skool is a car where ingenuity is as important as having money. Let me explain...A person can buy pretty much any honda or 240sx and as long as they can bolt on the "pre-engineered" parts they bought off of E-bay or a magazine they can build a fast or "custom" car with a minimal amount of effort. Take an old skool car like a "75 Datsun 710 or a '74 Toyota corona Mark II, for example, there are no new body panels available, no "easy" bolt in engine upgrades. If your old skool you know it, because you and your old skool friends scratched your heads and figured out by trial and error how to bring this cool azz car back to life and out on to the streets to kick some new cookie cutter style car's a**.

imbatman
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I really consider the AE86 as the first of the new school cars or last of the old school corolla,they have more in common with RWD TE series corollas. I really feel around 1986 was the last year of old school cars because most auto manufacturers had finally switched to fuel injection and a more modern or luxurious interiors. For example, the 300zx started in 1984 ran through 1989 but is mre of a new style car in terms of weight and luxury options.
Some cars such as the AE 86, Mitsubishi starion, the NissanZX series, and 200Sx were started in the early eighties. So I feel we can't just put a year model as the cut off. I feel the 240 sx is a modern era car even a 1989.
I also feel like an old skool is a car where ingenuity is as important as having money. Let me explain...A person can buy pretty much any honda or 240sx and as long as they can bolt on the "pre-engineered" parts they bought off of E-bay or a magazine they can build a fast or "custom" car with a minimal amount of effort. Take an old skool car like a "75 Datsun 710 or a '74 Toyota corona Mark II, for example, there are no new body panels available, no "easy" bolt in engine upgrades. If your old skool you know it, because you and your old skool friends scratched your heads and figured out by trial and error how to bring this cool azz car back to life and out on to the streets to kick some new cookie cutter style car's a**.

DEAD ON :goodjob:

Me86Rob
10-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Stormhammer you lil shyt....that was the argument i gave to you last night. you needed to quote me on that!

OneSlow5pt0
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
yea i say pre 85 too.....i know my car is deff not old skool

Stormhammer
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
I also feel like an old skool is a car where ingenuity is as important as having money....... If your old skool you know it, because you and your old skool friends scratched your heads and figured out by trial and error how to bring this cool azz car back to life and out on to the streets to kick some new cookie cutter style car's a**.

The ingenuity that has gone into modifying Starions and Conquests, makes me think some owners are :screwy:

Seriously, who the hell looks at an Eclipse and figure to put their MAS on our cars. Or looks at some car in Australia with a plenum intake manifold and is like "hmm... I wonder... well lookie derr! That summabitch bolts right on!"

Like you said though, some 80s car its hard to put a cut off for ( like the 280ZX )

Me86Rob
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
can my 86Z be oldschool? i mean, they were the same from 84 to 86, so if its the same techonolgy, its not fair that it gets cut off just cause of the year

Big_Dave
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM

LexiZ31....Read thiis again then decide :goodjob:

Stormhammer
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
LexiZ31....Read thiis again then decide :goodjob:

What if an 87-89 car was almost identical to the 86 car outside of how its injectors fired? :D

lol all of our cars are having identity crisises now :lmao:

OneSlow5pt0
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
What if an 87-89 car was almost identical to the 86 car outside of how its injectors fired? :D

lol all of our cars are having identity crisises now :lmao:

well i mean my car has the same body style as a 82 camaro........but i think they look tottally different.....

just like C4s arnt old school,wouldnt call 300zxs either.....280zx yes

PSINXS
10-03-2008, 02:27 PM
i totally missed the point of this thread lololol

Me86Rob
10-03-2008, 03:08 PM
RTdude..i still dont know. i mean regardless, its old school to mee. its older than me. i consider my Ae86 old school too. but we are all going to have a diff opinion of oldschool. i say mid-80's is the cut off. the exact year isnt decided to me, but it just depends.

OnURleft
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I always refer to the E30 M3 as the "old school" M3. It just is. Production 1986-1991

tdurr
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought old school is pre 90's. With a few exceptions, like the 240 and such. I think my accord is old school. Its an 88. Only things that bolt on are cheap headers and exhaust. I think rt132kp61 hit the nail on the head in his post.

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
when your car is considered an antique legally, it's old school. That's 25 years old and older. This year it's 83 and older, next year, 84 and older, and so on. Eventually 2000 WILL be considered old school at some point. This makes the most since to me. When it's 2035, we're not going to STILL have the cutoff at 1985.

I'm talking about now. Not in 2035.

I think my accord is old school. Its an 88.

Not quite. Almost, though.

As far as cars being made outside the "cut off" year but being the same model as the ones that do qualify, that's hit or miss. I think it could be that an 86 model car that is the same thing as the 83 model would be grandfathered in.

Later, QD.

superboost
10-04-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm so glad to see this thread. I recall somewhere seeing someone post up about an "old school b18" swap. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Keep those youngin's in check QD

toxxxic
10-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Mannn... if I had a 2000 model car, i'd still be calling it brand new.

Big_Dave
10-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Though I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no Honda! for I have torque! (Lol! That's the truth.) What kind of "raggedy Volvo"? A 940? We're bulding a 1977 Celica GT with a turbocharged Volvo B23 engine. Horsepower is cute, but torque wins races and breaks ****.

Big_Dave
10-04-2008, 02:26 AM
RTdude..i still dont know. i mean regardless, its old school to mee. its older than me. i consider my Ae86 old school too. but we are all going to have a diff opinion of oldschool. i say mid-80's is the cut off. the exact year isnt decided to me, but it just depends.

I'm saying that according to a pre 1985 guideline that your car fall into the Old School category. YOUR IN! Just like 200 sx, Ae86, starion/conquests, and I Know I'll catch some flack for this but third gen Supras (final evolution of the m series engines)

VooDooXII
10-04-2008, 03:49 AM
If I can't get an antique plate for it, it isn't "old school."

Big_Dave
10-04-2008, 09:56 AM
^^^The largest classic Japanese car show in America says pre 1985 and the exceptions are car models that ran over the 1985 cutoff. So if your cars body style started in 1984 then it's still classed as a 1984 bodystyle even if it is a 1989. By state law, you are correct. ^^^

OneSlow5pt0
10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
^^^well by that.........then my car is old school since it started in 1982

but i dont think its OS

lovitt0607
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
you can get an antique plate at 20 years old so i would consider any car 20 years or older olds chool

lovitt0607
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
old school*

NAMNORI
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
"old school"- (v,n,adj.) the true definition of old school is that if your shit gets some bodydamage you immediatly look for someone who can cut and weld new body panels not bondo and fill shit in cheaply. Youre fucked royaly shits expensive to fix because it's impossible to find. If you have fuel injection consider yourself lucky, if you are carbed hopefully you know someone who can tune it right.(two screw drivers is all you need!) I love my old skool. Almost left the scene behind but found it's twin so it looks like the motto is right. Once you go old you never go back

quickdodgeŽ
03-21-2009, 11:50 PM
you can get an antique plate at 20 years old so i would consider any car 20 years or older olds chool

25 years. Later, QD.

Deke
03-22-2009, 01:38 PM
This thread single handedly destroyed the term "old school" for me.

Haha, it's just like the threads that used to pop up about "VIP" (or bippu, whatever that bullshit is called). People would post some car that looks exactly like every other VIP car, but someone would tell the person that they're an idiot because no 5'4" Jap yakuza boss jackoff would drive it.

I do agree that pre-2000 is quite a late cut-off for anything nostalgic. However, the only argument that holds any ground is the antique tag. Everything else is just someone's opinion.

Note: no one in particular prompted this semi-rant, just the general sentiment towards any kind of automotive exclusivity.

Love you guys :)

quickdodgeŽ
03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
This thread single handedly destroyed the term "old school" for me.

Haha, it's just like the threads that used to pop up about "VIP" (or bippu, whatever that bullshit is called). People would post some car that looks exactly like every other VIP car, but someone would tell the person that they're an idiot because no 5'4" Jap yakuza boss jackoff would drive it.

I do agree that pre-2000 is quite a late cut-off for anything nostalgic. However, the only argument that holds any ground is the antique tag. Everything else is just someone's opinion.

Note: no one in particular prompted this semi-rant, just the general sentiment towards any kind of automotive exclusivity.

Love you guys :)

Lolol. I understood NONE of what you posted, man.

Oh. And I'm not laughing at you, buddy. Later, QD.

Deke
03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Lolol. I understood NONE of what you posted, man.

Haha, sorry I just kind of had brain diarrhea in that last post. Basically, I don't like when exclusivity forms in the automotive world based on someone's arbitrary opinion.

Random year for old school cutoff = arbitrary
Car is eligible for an antique tag = not arbitrary

The ideas of Old school, JDM, VIP, Rice, etc. have all been guilty of this in their own way.

quickdodgeŽ
03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Haha, sorry I just kind of had brain diarrhea in that last post. Basically, I don't like when exclusivity forms in the automotive world based on someone's arbitrary opinion.

Random year for old school cutoff = arbitrary
Car is eligible for an antique tag = not arbitrary

The ideas of Old school, JDM, VIP, Rice, etc. have all been guilty of this in their own way.

I see where you're coming from, but the "old school" classification is a bit different. It pays homage to the cars that kind of led to the cars that everyone mods today. The majority of the OS enthusiasts, fortunately, make the cut off year a little less arbitrary. It's still opinion based, but it's a more unanimous number to use 1985. That's the year a lot of the modern techniques came on the scene in cars. The looks, the performances, etc. Really it's kind of the like the History Channel of the automotive world. Later, QD.

Deke
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I see where you're coming from, but the "old school" classification is a bit different. It pays homage to the cars that kind of led to the cars that everyone mods today. The majority of the OS enthusiasts, fortunately, make the cut off year a little less arbitrary. It's still opinion based, but it's a more unanimous number to use 1985. That's the year a lot of the modern techniques came on the scene in cars. The looks, the performances, etc. Really it's kind of the like the History Channel of the automotive world. Later, QD.

Fair enough :cheers:

quickdodgeŽ
03-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Fair enough :cheers:

Something else I might add, lolol:

To gather all these older cars in one location for people to look at without having to weed through all the cars that you can see 100 times a day is nice, too.

As odd as it may seem, the most popular car to mod, by far, is the Honda Civic and my Civic is the only one that ever goes to the meets, lolol. Later, QD.

c0l7hy
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
whoever wrote that is a dumbass. and qd, 55,000 posts? come on man

Sammich
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
well i fit in because my body style is from 84-88...and i have an 88..just made it :D