PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Roots style blower, procharger style supercharger, or turbo

RickyBobbyV6
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
which is better on a honda 4 cyl for road racing

1SOL2NV
10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
turbo = honda .... domestic = supercharger ... end thread .

scttydb411
10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
roots blower=jrsc=no intercooler unless you plan on water injection. unless you are going to run 6-8psi your intake temps will be very high and kill power (even at 6-8psi road racing).

centrifical supercharger=vortec=turbo on a stick. better option because it has an air to water aftercooler and will have much better intake temps, better power and less chance of high iat detonation. drawbacks can be the driveshaft to blower wearing out/breaking.

turbo=better iat if you run fmic and plenty adjustable if you want to up the boost without changing pully arrangements like you would on a supercharger.

i would recommend the turbo option myself. if you properly size the turbo you can always be in the powerband for road racing and have better intake temps for more consistent power.

Axix23
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
for road racing, i would go with a jackson racing sc.. depending on which honda motor you will be using... the jackson racing k20 has a aftercooler for it now.. I would def. not recommend turbo for road racing..

Dwisforme05
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
turbo = honda .... domestic = supercharger ... end thread . no. not at all. most of the high horsepower street cars are turbo'd. at least in the new s197 stangs. now look at the new cobalt ss, its turbo'd. srt-4, turbo'd. alot of people do turn to blowers for most domestics but that dont mean ****. it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

at the OP

a JRSC would probably be best, you get more torque but like one already said, they arent Intercooled. methanol/water injection works wonders tho. Or you can go with a Vortech and get the aftercooler. procharger has a FMIC but they only offer kits for the 99-00 civic si and i believe the rsx-s. those are great and reliable. all kits are. turbos are fun too but you do have some lag.

ACCORDPRIDE
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
a JRSC would probably be best

Axix23
10-03-2008, 12:49 AM
to the OP, what kinda motor and car?

brandenj
10-04-2008, 02:41 PM
i know a good many people who run scca with jrsc's and are very competitive, but really a small turbo will do fine also. i say you do which ever one you can find cheapest, like a used jrsc kit or piece together a turbo kit

ACCORDPRIDE
10-04-2008, 03:27 PM
to the OP, what kinda motor and car?

the motor is a gsr in a eg coupe
trying to figure out the most competitive combo for road racing:goodjob:

Dwisforme05
10-05-2008, 12:16 AM
gotta love the torque with root SC's, great top end with turbo's and ive always thought of a centri ( vortech, procharger) as a happy medium.

Pickleteg
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Having owned a JRSC car and a turbo on the same car I would say either get a very small turbo or run the JRSC with the LHT intercooler. Look at www.lhtperformance.net (http://www.lhtperformance.net/) for more ifor on the intercooler. I had one and loved it...you could not beat the lowend power....I miss it but I love how my turbo rips. The JRSC with the cooler, 10 PSI and supporting mods will put 250 to the ground no prob on a stock block and give you a super flat torque curve. You would get 150 WTQ at 2500. Or...a small turbo but you will still have that lag time. It is up to you homie.

P.S...dont mess with a centrifical...those do great on a V8 but they have all the disadvantages of a supercharger...but none of the lowend torque of the JRSC.

SPOOLIN
10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
small turbo, there are plenty of time attack cars out there that run very successful turbo setups, not road racing, but close enough.

seanrg1116
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
yea a small turbo with a modest boost setting so u dont have 2 much lag. lots of lag will hurt lap times. oh yea another route is less weight.

rrutter81
10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
go with the TVS blower. Its alot more effecient than a standard roots blower and you wont be lugging the pulley around long enough for parasitic loss.

If you want all out top speed, go with a turbo.

centrifugal/procharger.... is a good inbetween like others said but marginal gains in top speed over a roots blower.

You could do the best of both worlds.... slap on a huge turbo and have the roots blower spool it, and let the turbo do the rest(twin charge).

Axix23
10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
gsr motor, I would run a jrsc. jrsc honda loves corners...

scttydb411
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Having owned a JRSC car and a turbo on the same car I would say either get a very small turbo or run the JRSC with the LHT intercooler. Look at www.lhtperformance.net (http://www.lhtperformance.net/) for more ifor on the intercooler. I had one and loved it...you could not beat the lowend power....I miss it but I love how my turbo rips. The JRSC with the cooler, 10 PSI and supporting mods will put 250 to the ground no prob on a stock block and give you a super flat torque curve. You would get 150 WTQ at 2500. Or...a small turbo but you will still have that lag time. It is up to you homie.

P.S...dont mess with a centrifical...those do great on a V8 but they have all the disadvantages of a supercharger...but none of the lowend torque of the JRSC.

i forgot about the lht mostly b/c it is such a costly addition to the setup. looking at the link it appears to have come down in price. this is something i always recommend to folks that come in w/ a jrsc car for tuning, but the pricing usually leads them to turbo.

rrutter81
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
ive heard jrsc for honda especially the crxs arent streetable. They are good for Autox tho.

Im not an import fan since my vr4

TreyMan
11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
ive heard jrsc for honda especially the crxs arent streetable.

Any reason why they aren't streetable? I can't think of a logical reason for them not to be...esp since one of the first Hondas Oscar Jackson built a supercharger kit for was a CRX.

Overheating in traffic mixed with a bad tune or use of an FMU?

nsany(atl)
11-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Turbo you need top end on a road course

JKOBD
11-07-2008, 07:04 PM
ive heard jrsc for honda especially the crxs arent streetable.

You should have punched that person in the nuts for saying that.

JRSC cars when properlly cooled make a perfect rr car. I ran my JR B18c in a 90 civic for over 30k miles at 12psi with many autox and 1/4 mile passes back in the days. That car was an awesome street car.