PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, do you think your vote will count?

ShooterMcGavin
09-30-2008, 07:50 AM
let's be honest for a moment, do any of you living here in georgia really think your vote for obama will matter and may cause him to win the state?

i mean seriously, georgia has gone to the dems just once in the last 5 elections.

mocha latte cupcake
09-30-2008, 07:52 AM
but then again i'll be voting in SC this year... but still... GA REPs

ironchef
09-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm not voting so it definitely doesn't count haha.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 08:03 AM
honestly it never counts... presidents who have had majority in polls have lost what does that tell you?

we have the most free communist country in the world.

BanginJimmy
09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
honestly it never counts... presidents who have had majority in polls have lost what does that tell you?

we have the most free communist country in the world.

Majority doesnt count for a reason. The electoral college was designed to give all states a say, so that Cali, New York, Illinois, Texas, and Florida didnt have sole discresion in who won an election.

Honestly, I think they need to revamp the electoral college again and talley the votes by Congressional district. That would lead to 435 Electoral votes and states like Illinois which are heavily Republican except in Chicago, Rockford, and Springfield would not have their voices ignored. The same could be said in GA where Savannah, Columbus, and Atlanta have a Democrat majority, but are heavily outnumbered by the rest of the state.

BobbyFresco
09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm voting, regardless.
I have no right to complain when Mccsame wins if I don't do my part.

cr0m3kid
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Its true majority vote really doesnt have much affect it just may sway some of the electrol college's decision....

4dmin
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Majority doesnt count for a reason. The electoral college was designed to give all states a say, so that Cali, New York, Illinois, Texas, and Florida didnt have sole discresion in who won an election.

Honestly, I think they need to revamp the electoral college again and talley the votes by Congressional district. That would lead to 435 Electoral votes and states like Illinois which are heavily Republican except in Chicago, Rockford, and Springfield would not have their voices ignored. The same could be said in GA where Savannah, Columbus, and Atlanta have a Democrat majority, but are heavily outnumbered by the rest of the state.

i understand that but it should go on majority not a %... it is like a little league team where everyone gets a trophy win/lose. whoever gets the votes should get the position.

AirMax95
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm voting, regardless.
I have no right to complain when Mccsame wins if I don't do my part.

Werd!

BanginJimmy
09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
i understand that but it should go on majority not a %... it is like a little league team where everyone gets a trophy win/lose. whoever gets the votes should get the position.

You dont understand if you still think a majority would work. Some states, like Texas, NY, and Cali are heavily on 1 side. Those states would completely invalidate states like Delaware, New Hampshire, and Alaska.

Like I said, a vote by congressional district, not state would give the best breakdown of what America a a whole feels. It would also help to make all voices heard. I couldnt begin to count the number of dems in GA that have said they dont vote becuse their vote is ignored. The saem is true of most of my family in IL, they dont bother because their vote would be ignored.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
You dont understand if you still think a majority would work. Some states, like Texas, NY, and Cali are heavily on 1 side. Those states would completely invalidate states like Delaware, New Hampshire, and Alaska.

Like I said, a vote by congressional district, not state would give the best breakdown of what America a a whole feels. It would also help to make all voices heard. I couldnt begin to count the number of dems in GA that have said they dont vote becuse their vote is ignored. The saem is true of most of my family in IL, they dont bother because their vote would be ignored.

i understand the point - but you say "america as a whole". well that would majority rules. if 60% want candidate A and 40% want candidate B = candidate A wins. this isn't a hard concept.

how do you determine votes per congressional district? population has to be taken into account.

bigdare23
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Never know, anything could happen.

BanginJimmy
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
i understand the point - but you say "america as a whole". well that would majority rules. if 60% want candidate A and 40% want candidate B = candidate A wins. this isn't a hard concept.

how do you determine votes per congressional district? population has to be taken into account.

I see what you are saying, but in my plan each region would have an equal say. We all know that large cities favor Dems, but rural areas favor repubs. Pretty much every dem state has more than 60% of their population in an urban enviroment, while the opposite is true in repb states.

I use congressional districs because they dont necessarily take population into account, but they do break down a state into its different demographics.

I guess we are going to ahve to agree to disagree and admit both plans have their pros and cons. I think we can agree that the current electoral college needs to be revamped to the changing times.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I see what you are saying, but in my plan each region would have an equal say. We all know that large cities favor Dems, but rural areas favor repubs. Pretty much every dem state has more than 60% of their population in an urban enviroment, while the opposite is true in repb states.

I use congressional districs because they dont necessarily take population into account, but they do break down a state into its different demographics.

I guess we are going to ahve to agree to disagree and admit both plans have their pros and cons. I think we can agree that the current electoral college needs to be revamped to the changing times.

yes definitely... it is hard to break it down considering all of the factors

The Yousef
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
i plan on voting....and no it won't make a difference...

way too many rednecks here to make a difference in the electoral college.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
i know this poll is very small considering % of population but i think this is a major factor in our voting process. people are disillusioned about our voting process

BanginJimmy
09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
i know this poll is very small considering % of population but i think this is a major factor in our voting process. people are disillusioned about our voting process

I honestly think HS should require a govt test to grad, just like I did when i grad 8th grade and had to take a constitution test. You could have straight A's, but fail that test both times and you get to re-do 8th grade.

Also I know most 4 year schools require a Poly-Sci class, I think that should be expanded to 2 year colleges also. People in this country are far too ignorant out the political process.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I honestly think HS should require a govt test to grad, just like I did when i grad 8th grade and had to take a constitution test. You could have straight A's, but fail that test both times and you get to re-do 8th grade.

Also I know most 4 year schools require a Poly-Sci class, I think that should be expanded to 2 year colleges also. People in this country are far too ignorant out the political process.

i agree but you again regulating the stupid how do you conjure up a test for this :2cents:

i think old people should be tested yearly for driver licenses... but hey who am i to judge :lmfao: