PDA

View Full Version : Car over heats!!!

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 08:21 PM
just finished a swap ,, and idles for abotu 30+ mins and it would over heat... i've tried everything except runn it with out the thermostat..

Fan turns on,

radiator cap is off but I have a funnel ontop to top it off with more radiator fluid, but right when its in oper temp it would boil bubble up and overflow...??

new waterpump, new headgasket, timing belt, what else should i look into ??

Barefoot
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
how hot do the upper and lower radiator hoses get.

Elbow
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
water is flowing I take it? try bleeding the system? any smoke out the exhaust? have you driven it yet?

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
no i have not driven it yet, and it smokes a little .. but not like a cloud or anything...

upper & lower hoses both feel hott..

Elbow
09-29-2008, 08:59 PM
You tourque the head down correctly?

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
i started it out with 30ft lbs from the

inside and out

and finished it down with 75ft lbs using arp headstuds & bolts

Tech5
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
its because you didnt get the head shaved!

BTEC
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
i started it out with 30ft lbs from the

inside and out

and finished it down with 75ft lbs using arp headstuds & bolts
i think thats 5 ft-lbs too much but that wont warp the head.

turn u temp control to hot and u should get heat out of ur vents. this also help get the air bubbles out of the heater core. if u can, elivate the fron of the car so ur radiator is the highest point of the cooling system. fill the system til that funnel is about half full and u should get some more air bubbles out of it.

let me know how that works for you.

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
the is shaved...

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
i think thats 5 ft-lbs too much but that wont warp the head.

turn u temp control to hot and u should get heat out of ur vents. this also help get the air bubbles out of the heater core. if u can, elivate the fron of the car so ur radiator is the highest point of the cooling system. fill the system til that funnel is about half full and u should get some more air bubbles out of it.

let me know how that works for you.

i'ma try that out 2morrow then.. and more suggestions?

BTEC
a shaved head wont cause it to over heat. and u can can still warp a freshly shaved head with improper torque sequence or install consideering you used head studs.

Tech5
WTF did you say?

Well if the head was sent to a machine shop an they decked it, an checked it, an its good an your fans working, no air in the system, thermostat is working, then either you installed the headgasket on wrong, or your head wasnt shaved an its warped, ...sounds to me that its bubbling back because it has back presure which is caused from bad headgasket,warped head,etc

Tech5
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
head should be torqued 47ft lbs, then re torque to 68 ft lbs

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
head gasket is installed correct.. and i'm just lastly thinking bout the head being warped.. whichi bought it off of a IA member in here which he said the head was machined @ scotts machine shop..

Tech5
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
head gasket is installed correct.. and i'm just lastly thinking bout the head being warped.. whichi bought it off of a IA member in here which he said the head was machined @ scotts machine shop..

translation!!! You got a FUKED up head!
Better hope when you take it off, it doesnt strip the head bolts an the head,
1st - headbolts are to tight,
2nd-been overheating
3rd-good luck

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
head should be torqued 47ft lbs, then re torque to 68 ft lbs

well i just thought since i was using arp headstuds i went by their trq specs, their instruction said to be torque to 80 ft lbs but oem specs says 70 so i trq it 75 in the middle of oem/Afmarket specs

Tech5
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
well i just thought since i was using arp headstuds i went by their trq specs, their instruction said to be torque to 80 ft lbs but oem specs says 70 so i trq it 75 in the middle of oem/Afmarket specsyeah your fine, there, but if it overheats to much it can strip them coming out good luck

Barefoot
09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
WTF did you say?

Well if the head was sent to a machine shop an they decked it, an checked it, an its good an your fans working, no air in the system, thermostat is working, then either you installed the headgasket on wrong, or your head wasnt shaved an its warped, ...sounds to me that its bubbling back because it has back presure which is caused from bad headgasket,warped head,etcu just beat me to it.

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
i only started it up 2 times .. 1st time was 2 weekends ago which i couldn't find out why the fans were not working.. switched out coolant temp sensor. left home.. last time was this past weekend .. and same scenario! head is fresh from machine shop, with new valves/valvetrain etc..

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
so if it is a warped head.. will decking the head and resurfacing it fix it?

BTEC
09-29-2008, 09:40 PM
i havent built an engine in a couple years but if i remember correctly arp says if u use motor oil to lube the studs torque them to 80 ft-lbs and if you use the supplied moly lube torque to 70 ft-lbs.

just try the stuff i told u and see how it goes. make sure u raise the front of the car bc i had hel bleeding my car but it buffed out.

VickNotic
09-29-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah i'ma try that out wheni get back home

VickNotic
09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
is there anything else i should look for.. and just wondering any 1 got a picture of how the U BEND hoses @ the thermostats is attached?

i noticed that mines different from GSR .. which i have itr block.. ?

Tech5
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah check your tail light bulb I hear this makes it run hot too

Barefoot
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
man its about time u fork over the cash for a shop to fix your issue. there is only so much a bunch of people on the internet can do for you.

Tech5
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
man its about time u fork over the cash for a shop to fix your issue. there is only so much a bunch of people on the internet can do for you.

VickNotic
09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah check your tail light bulb I hear this makes it run hot too

THANK YOU MISTER KNOW IT ALL, I'M SORRY I'M NOT A CERTIFIED BS CERTIFICATE HOLDER...:tongue1:

Tech5
09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
You mean ASE Certified lol! yeah I am a Master ASE but that just the start of it lol....
THANK YOU MISTER KNOW IT ALL, I'M SORRY I'M NOT A CERTIFIED BS CERTIFICATE HOLDER...:tongue1:

NAG2I
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
i had the same problem. my gauge was broken. wasn't anything with my head(that what everyone said on here) and it doesn't sound like its something wrong with yours

BIG WORM
09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
take the radiator cap off while car isn't running, bump the car without cranking it up, see if water shoots out the top of the radiator.
(you can disconnect one of the plug wires to keep it from starting up.)

If water shoots out the top, chances are head is messed up.

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/lsxtreme81/1.jpg

anyone have a close picture of the rear hoses and all.. that should be connected right? i found this one but i need the close up pictures of where the waterpump pipe has a outlet in the middle.. etc

OG-Skinny
10-01-2008, 01:00 PM
did you take out the Thermostat out yet?

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
did you take out the Thermostat out yet?

nahh i didn't get a chance to go back to the car yet..

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/lsxtreme81/itr1-1.jpg

^this is some else's itr block and look @ their waterpump hoses is it connected correct??

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/lsxtreme81/r5.jpg

^ this is how mines is connected.. right or wrong??

feel free to edit the pictures and show me ..

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
bump

OG-Skinny
10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
follow the bottom picture. It's to the crankcase box. I haveno idea WTF the top picture is doing.

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
and the hose that is coming out of the waterpump pipe where does it connect to.. ?

OG-Skinny
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
and the hose that is coming out of the waterpump pipe where does it connect to.. ?

it goes to the output side of the IACV.

VickNotic
10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/lsxtreme81/r6.jpg

where does it connect to?

OG-Skinny
10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
like i said, it goes to the output side of the IACV.

fly-n-low
10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Have you looked at more simplier things such as your timing? Your timing may be off, which could be causing the overheating problem. I know its hard to check it in your case, so you would have to manually bring the car to top dead center and check the cam gears and piston position. Although it shouldnt really have anything to do with the idle. I would always notice my old mustang would run hotter the more I advanced the timing.

VickNotic
10-07-2008, 08:04 PM
OKAY updates!!

the head checked out fine!! NO WARPAGE etc!! took the head to Eagle automotive @ Auburn.

and the bad part of the story is i've stripped a ARP head BOLT!! so i need just one! and possible 1 head stud & 1 head bolt ARP if possible...

one of their representatives told me to look into the TIMING as you said which i didn't, and to look @ the Radiator also. Since i didn't check it.. SO

WTB WFF: 1 of each head bolt & stud & Radiator Full size!! anything else i should look into? and the ??? is can the block be fawked uP not FLUSH?? needs resurfacing?

and can the block be resurfaced with pistons & rods still intach ??

fly-n-low
10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Nothing is impossible that is for sure. If you have your head off then go ahead and check the deck. Also, just thought of something when you check your timing and after correcting it or if it is okay, check to make sure all of your exhaust valves have the proper adjusted. I had two exhaust valves that were not opening up all the way causing the cylinder to get to hot and car smoked a little. Simple valve adjustment fixed it and no more overheating and no more smoke. All the way to 8,200 RPMs.

As far as the radiator goes, pull the upper and lower hoses off and put a water hose in the top and check to see a good amount of water is flowing out through the lower outlet.

I know these are basic things, but best check them first before getting to far indepth with labor and $$$$$.

Let me know.

fly-n-low
10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
As to resurfacing your block, I dont think, at least I havent seen a machine shop, that can resurface your block while its in your car if that is what you are asking. With the engine out they could do it, but you would have to make 100% sure that there are no metal shavings inside the engine afterwards or you will be right back at square one.

I just checked my service manual and no other suggestions for overheating. I doubt it is the block itself or less a few water jackets are clogged up which would be rare as well. Im going to say Either Timing, Clogged Radiator and/or hose or water pump.

VickNotic
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
hmm okay.. right now i'm jsut stuck again.. because i stripped 1 of the ARP headstuds and bolts.. so i'm 1 headstud & bolt short.. and have no replacement..