PDA

View Full Version : Do you use premium?

Atlblkz06
09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

Well figured now would be a great time to save some of your some money with the type of fuel you use.

There are many many many people out there who use "premium" gas because they think its better. This is simply not true. In fact, regular gas has MORE energy than premium when used in a low compression environment.

Its your money, but if you use premium in your car when your car when you should be using regular, explain why. Maybe your reasoning is flawed, and we can put a few $$ back into your pocket!

And please, no "It feels better". Yea I called it, its all BS. There are people who "feel" the difference between synthetic and regular oil. Again, BS.

Atlblkz06
09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Damn it.. posted in the wrong area. Please move this to off topic. Thanks.

falconey
09-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Premium has cleaners that regular does not, but if my car did not require premium I have no idea why I would be putting premium in it. Maybe after turboing and some breather mods you'd have to go with higher octane for best performance. Now find the right forum.

sabastian458
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
the premium fends off preignition and detonation more. Some vehicle will perform slightly better when using premium inplace of regular. I wouldnt recomend it tho, because then the guys who need premium wont have any :)

Recap: if your car requires reg fuel and the station is out, dont put premium in it, just walk :D:D:D

Z33_kid
09-29-2008, 04:24 PM
some people are juss idiots and use premium or race gas without needing to do so

Deke
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
the premium fends off preignition and detonation more. Some vehicle will perform slightly better when using premium inplace of regular. I wouldnt recomend it tho, because then the guys who need premium wont have any :)

x2

But yeah, reading the original post, no need to use premium on a car that doesn't require it.

j0nbunklah0m
09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
hmm, this is weird, i got a b16 hatch n i use regular, but people say im suppose to use premium?:???: :thinking:span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Motivation
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
What, doesn't the OP have a new z06? he just said a few days ago that his engine would "self-detonate" if he used regular... So AtlblkZ06, do you trust regular in YOUR car?

sabastian458
09-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I mean, I have to use premium in mine. I could get away with the reg if I was super easy on it. I just had to put race fuel in because we had 0 fuel in in form other than race fuel arround here.

EJ25RUN
09-29-2008, 04:55 PM
15 psi...I need it.

AlliRae
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
you can also make a leaded 100 octance fuel by putting regular in it and adding 1 oz or about a capful of rubbing alchohol per gallon.

I think that it's unecessary to run premium in cars that don't need it. Some cars do need it aka higher compression ratio cars. Just like you can't or at least shouldn't use 83 octane in a car with 15:1 compression ratio in a fully built race engine. it's just not logical and potentially hazardous to the engine.

Motivation
09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, I believe my car is only 9:1 compression, but it's boosted and runs 15 psi daily... So, I'd rather not take that chance...

Homer Simpson
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
hmm, this is weird, i got a b16 hatch n i use regular, but people say im suppose to use premium?:???: :thinking:

Yes, You're suppose to use premium

EJ25RUN
09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
hmm, this is weird, i got a b16 hatch n i use regular, but people say im suppose to use premium?:???: :thinking:span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Read this noob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

sabastian458
09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
my 29psi says it needs 91 or better. *most cars now days can survive off 87, unless it is modified as stated before, turbo/supercharger, n2o and such.

Slomaro Z28
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
My car calls for 91 or higher, so I use premium. Other owner didn't and now that the motor is apart I can tell......and I ran a about a gallon of race fuel in mine when I got it to try and clean it up a little, but that failed. Not that it matters but I'm running 10.5:1 Compression Ratio and thinking of N2O so I'll only run the high grade.

Brock
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
yea both my cars have high compression engines so i have to run premium, and it is hurting the walleto

antiv6
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
i wish my car took regular lol

DerrickT
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
wrong section.

roscoe
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
my car calls for premium so thats what i pump. plus i only want the best fo my baby!!:goodjob:

j0nbunklah0m
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Read this noob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

nty, how bout u read it n cliff note me. sumone answered my question already anyhow.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

roscoe
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
nty, how bout u read it n cliff note me. sumone answered my question already anyhow.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

ouch html code fail lol

05IONREDLINE
09-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I have a supercharger so I use premium.

Gorilla Eg!
09-29-2008, 06:23 PM
12.5:1 CR....need Premium gas

EmminoDaGreat
09-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I use 93 in my accord, and its grandma's :D

Dwisforme05
09-29-2008, 06:26 PM
i wish i didnt HAVE to run premium.

Gorilla Eg!
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I use 93 in my accord, and its grandma's :D

your grandma has a blue stitched personal steering wheel?....DAMN GRANDMA IS JDM YO! :boobies:

UpSideDownDesi
09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
when i run outta premium in the suby. I am slapping the Economy map on it and putting 87 in it. May add some additive if it acts up.

Quicksilverado
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Anyone that has a T/C or S/C can run the cheap stuff as long as they stay out of boost.

Motivation
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Anyone that has a T/C or S/C can run the cheap stuff as long as they stay out of boost.

it's hard to ALWAYS stay out of boost... I don't care how hard you try not to get into it.

Motivation
09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
wrong section.

oh, the OP already stated that. so... repost. :goodjob:

Atlblkz06
09-29-2008, 09:57 PM
What, doesn't the OP have a new z06? he just said a few days ago that his engine would "self-detonate" if he used regular... So AtlblkZ06, do you trust regular in YOUR car?

You misunderstand. I'm not asking everyone to use regular.
My car is sitting in the garage with no gas :(

I'm trying to get people who don't need it to stop wasting their money on high octane gas. Some listen and switch but many continue putting premium in their old N/A POS cars thinking they're helping.

Just trying to help!

Quicksilverado
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
it's hard to ALWAYS stay out of boost... I don't care how hard you try not to get into it.

Not really, just a little self control. I have had both types of F/I and been able to manage staying out of boost with both.

Motivation
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
You misunderstand. I'm not asking everyone to use regular.
My car is sitting in the garage with no gas :(

I'm trying to get people who don't need it to stop wasting their money on high octane gas. Some listen and switch but many continue putting premium in their old N/A POS cars thinking they're helping.

Just trying to help!

oh ok... my fault. I was just wondering. wasn't trying to attack ya or anything. :cheers:

Slomaro Z28
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
i wish i didnt HAVE to run premium.

Well pull that Vortec off and give it to me......:goodjob:

EmminoDaGreat
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
your grandma has a blue stitched personal steering wheel?....DAMN GRANDMA IS JDM YO! :boobies:

lol

rrutter81
09-30-2008, 12:04 AM
rofl... so much fail in this thread.

I shouldnt even waste my time with IA.com anymore. Especially after people recommending 3 inch exhaust.

Look kids. The reason SOME cars run premium and others dont have to is because of timing maps. You can run 10:1 compression or 5:1 and if your timing is advanced to crap you need to run premium. Dont believe me? Run diesel because your car is so uber omfg powerful.

Higher Octane does prevent detonation. But then again, so does methanol injection. Most cars now-a-days use 2 timing tables. One is high octane table, other is low octane. Just like when your knock sensor goes off it drops the timing off and re-learns how your car reacts.

Actually im not even going to go in to this whole ordeal. Basic rule of thumb is... If your car was built for high performance go for premium. If you have done some sort of forced induction deal that is aftermarket, go premium.

everyone else... check the manual. The car wont die, but it will definitley let you know if it doesnt like a certain octane.

Oh yea, and to all you newbs who use race gas and dont tune for it.... check your dyno. You didnt do anything. Anyone who says race gas made them go faster either is lying or has a timing table that is so advanced that they are knocking on premium during regular use.

that is all.

I have a supercharger so I use premium.

your car was designed for premium... like mine

stop spreading the fail

VooDooXII
09-30-2008, 01:15 AM

Oh no...my car's going to explode. -_-

Quicksilverado
09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
stop spreading the fail[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?

southside
09-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Actually I posted this a long time back and got many of the same answers.My car feels better,or it runs funny on regular.Well since I broke my motor down I checkd out the pistons.Stock ls 9:1 compression running on 87 and most time 93.Well the motor was about 8years old.But the pistons were still all carbed up,But my friend has ctrs and he runs premium all the time.He took his motor apart and the pistons were spotless.Also even with premium his spark plugs still detonated,so I guess premium really doesnt help that much.My new setup comp. around 11 so I will be running on midgrade or premium.I cant tell the difference between when I pump premium and regular.But if Honda said do it I'd rather be safe then sorry.

cr0m3kid
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I say go with what the car's manufacterer says....

you can also make a leaded 100 octance fuel by putting regular in it and adding 1 oz or about a capful of rubbing alchohol per gallon.

Is this really true? just by adding rubbing alcohol

southside
09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I've heard of some stuff they sell at home depot you can mix to make race gas.But I have never heard of mixing rubbing alchol.

Whiteboy572
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I believe that premium has a lower flash point and is able to burn faster than 87, if i remember correctly? My z has a 10.5:1 cr and i know if i run 87 it will knock, ive heard plenty of stories. You can run 87 or 93 if you have your car tuned for it, but you will make less hp i know the differance in a cobalt ss vary from 87-93 its like 15-20 whp differance. I know if your cars suppose to run premium the factory probly sets the timing tables as they were using premium and they have the knock tables put in at what a lesser premium would do and retard it to that. The knock sensor will probly go ape sh!t when you add 87 and dip below the factory tune and start trying to retard itself so much its starts sputtering, etc. 93 is a more refined fuel and will burn cleaner and get better gas mileage for a fact, but this is a high comp motor im talking about. You will probly have no prob running 87 as long as you keep the rpms low. As for low comp and 87 it probly wouldnt matter a whole lot until you started winding it out but then you would probly sacrafice some power.

04LRGC
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Premium Mid-grade Unleaded
TEXACO - club drive & cruise rd intersection
678 380 3445

Atlblkz06
09-30-2008, 06:51 PM

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I've heard of some stuff they sell at home depot you can mix to make race gas.But I have never heard of mixing rubbing alchol.

Thats probably Toulene: AKI (R+M)/2 = 114

A 10% mix will boost your octane by 3 points for 87 and 2 points for 93.
Remember that straight toulene does not have detergents. Though.

SmackedInATL
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
i wish my car took regular lol

+1 to that!!

EmminoDaGreat
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I believe that premium has a lower flash point and is able to burn faster than 87, if i remember correctly? My z has a 10.5:1 cr and i know if i run 87 it will knock, ive heard plenty of stories. You can run 87 or 93 if you have your car tuned for it, but you will make less hp i know the differance in a cobalt ss vary from 87-93 its like 15-20 whp differance. I know if your cars suppose to run premium the factory probly sets the timing tables as they were using premium and they have the knock tables put in at what a lesser premium would do and retard it to that. The knock sensor will probly go ape sh!t when you add 87 and dip below the factory tune and start trying to retard itself so much its starts sputtering, etc. 93 is a more refined fuel and will burn cleaner and get better gas mileage for a fact, but this is a high comp motor im talking about. You will probly have no prob running 87 as long as you keep the rpms low. As for low comp and 87 it probly wouldnt matter a whole lot until you started winding it out but then you would probly sacrafice some power.

87 is more volatile, it will burn faster, which can cause preignition... 93 Burns slower, and so forth...

Whiteboy572
09-30-2008, 09:11 PM
87 is more volatile, it will burn faster, which can cause preignition... 93 Burns slower, and so forth...

Yeh, i had it backwards. So basically you can get more timing out of 93 firing the plug b4 tdc getting a more complete burn and making more power.

rrutter81
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM

most intelligent post here.

however speaking from experience, I run BKR7E plugs and still got 4 degrees of KR on 93+octane booster. Im thinking they had a 97 Octane tune. It still drops to the lower octane table just incase.

Higher MAP will reduce the timing by default via the table so compression does have a little bit to do with it. However I would look at the problem, not the bandaid.

this is kind of right but also wrong. 93 octane can be compressed more before detonation. 87 is easier to cause detonation. If we were to take extremes like diesel it might become clearer?

I think a better way would be to say "which has a greater resistance" to detonation rather than saying something is more volatile under 0 psi.

What are you talking about?
it means that the timing map that is advanced 35+ (at least for me) degrees under normal driving was under the same octane rating as under WOT.

Quicksilverado
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
it means that the timing map that is advanced 35+ (at least for me) degrees under normal driving was under the same octane rating as under WOT.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you don't have a low and high octane table then. What is your c.r.? Most f/i motors have a fairly low c.r. which will allows the use of a lower octane gas as long as it is not seeing any boost.

Got Milk?
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
mm, my gas cap tells me i need to use premium. and it gotz boost, so im not using regular unless i really have no other choice.

rrutter81
09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm assuming you don't have a low and high octane table then. What is your c.r.? Most f/i motors have a fairly low c.r. which will allows the use of a lower octane gas as long as it is not seeing any boost.

I have both a high and low octane table.(hence why i mentioned it in the first place) Please dont try to educate me on octane ratings or my engine/pcm.

10.0:1 is my compression ratio

its an LSJ ecotec 2.0

collins
10-01-2008, 02:37 AM
with an 11:1 cr daily driven car, it does not like 87... kinda sucks, as yesterday was the first time i found premium in a week and a half...

DirtyMechanic
10-01-2008, 05:31 AM
with an 11:1 cr daily driven car, it does not like 87... kinda sucks, as yesterday was the first time i found premium in a week and a half...http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg247/DirtyMechanic_album/CHOCOLATE_CHIP_COOKIE.jpg

Mike Lowrey
10-01-2008, 06:07 AM
11.5:1 CR + 93 octane tune = Premium for me

Kevykev
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
One of my cars "requires" Premium so, for that reason ALONE, I use premium. The others get the regular stuff!

slimm
10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
i have to run premium but couldnt find any. so, i put in regular and used the Lucas Octane Booster with the regular and had no problems. I recomend that if you are in dying need of gas. If you can hold out for premium, wait!

1000cckiller
10-01-2008, 08:03 AM
PREMIUM IS AT THE PILOT GAS STATION ON BOULDERCREST.

Member31410
10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I just barely got some premium at the BP off GA 400 and Windward Pkwy by TopSpeed.

Sport1.3
10-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm actually swapping my motor in a few weeks, so that i'm able to run regular again.......it will be my first MPG build. I'm shooting for 55mpg lol

DerrickT
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM
oh, the OP already stated that. so... repost. :goodjob:

oh noez~!! I don't read every post :goodjob: I have better things to do.

Shawna
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
*waves hand* I do