PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Photographer Thread

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
So Ive been compelled to get something off my chest. Something I see everytime I log into this forum and venture into the Car Pics/ Photo sections of this site. Now, dont get me wrong, this isnt a personal attack towards any one on this site, nor do I consider myself gods gift to photography. I just have a very strong opinion towards what I see and Ive been published with a few national publications so I think im doing something right. In the past 4 years Ive been on here and posting photos Ive noticed some things. One major thing being, that "taking photos" seems a good way to get "popular" on here. Back in the day, it used to be Jaime, Walker, Matt (ap), Jason , Robby (Estis), myself, and maybe a couple others. But in the past couple years there has been a flooding of XXXX Photography photographers. Dont get me wrong, I personally think that there are two new guys in the past two years that take amazing photos and do great post processing. Im not going to mention names since I chose to not single anyone out, good or bad. I personally do not have a problem with people wanting to take photos. Hell we all started somewhere, right? But I do have a problem with unoriginality, blatent lack of imagination, and cookie-cutter photos. I could go on and on about what I hate to see but im going to narrow it down to a certain few topics and you can tell me if you agree with them or not:

1. The "I just bought a DSLR and have formed XXXX Photography"

Just because you bought a DSLR doesnt mean you all of a sudden own a Photography business. If you shoot freelance, use your name. If you shoot for your own company, then use the name of your business. If you still want to have something with Photography in it, dont name it something stupid (i.e Big Nut Sack Photography); its stupid and doesnt help you in your credibility as a photographer.

2. Copy Cats

Oh, so borders on your photos make you a top notch photographer amongst your peers or bumps them up to a certain level of professionalism. So im going to take my photos and put a huge ass 4 inch border on it. Or maybe a border within a border. Or maybe a time attack schemed border since Im posting on a car forum! Then ill be liked even more! Right... from borders to watermarks to ultra wide angle jdm photos, just because some else does it doesnt mean you should either.

3. The "AWESOME PICS" morons

Just STFU already. Seriously, the blown out, overly sharpened, noise filled, over saturated, hunk of pixel barf is not AWESOME. You wouldnt know what an awesome photo was if it slapped you in the face. If you think a photo is nice because of its subject matter , then say Nice X (x being the subject matter). An AWESOME photo consists of both the photo quality and subject matter. I can take a picture of my morning **** and itll be absolutely clear , crisp, and lifelike. That doesnt make the photo AWESOME, so why would the other be either.

4. THIS IS NOT A WIDE ANGLE PHOTO

If you want a wide angle photo, dont use those cheap ebay "tube kits" that make you look like your taking photos through a toilet paper roll. For example,

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/Adams%20Integra/DSC_0283edit.jpg

It hurts my eyes... and that brings me to my next topic.

5. USE COMMON SENSE

What on earth made you think that these are photos worth posting?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/slideordie97/luders.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/slideordie97/P0719082030291.jpg

6. QUIT TRYING TO BE TRENDY WITH HDR

HDR does not equal awesome photo. Theres times to use it and times not to and just properly expose your photo. Taking a multiple exposures of your Accord in your parents driveway then tossing into photomatix is a perfect example of a time not to use HDR. Nothing pisses me off more than people trying to look cool by "shooting an HDR".

7. Stop with the ****ing angles

Now I do see a lot more people calling each other out on this...but the below photo is NOT "COOL" or constitute an " AWESOME PIC".

http://i38.tinypic.com/28imhzr.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2j63ivb.jpg

8. Quit using your flash at night

GET A ****ING TRIPOD AND STOP USING THE FLASH AT NIGHT. The harsh light from a direct flash brings out the worst in any car. From swirl marks , dirty wheel wells, to busted up radiators. If you didnt already know this, refer to rant number FIVE.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/mrhan44/DSCN1023.jpg

I could go on and on forever about WHAT NOT TO DO, but since Im at work, Ill leave the rest to common sense. Im sure I wasted my time even typing this out, but oh well at least I said something. :) Like I said before, if I included your photo in this thread, dont take it personal. Improve upon your skills and craft. Dont shoot photos because you think youll be in a magazine someday, dont shoot photos to be cool and recognized around your friends for doing so. Take photos to showcase the world around you in the right way. Come up with your own original style, step out of the box, dont take photos of something, toss it photoshop , run a few sharpen filters, slap a border and water mark on it and call it a day. Take your photos and use them as a painter would a canvas. Work with your photos in post processing to make them look spectacular. In the same breath, no matter how many times you polish a turd, its still a turd, so make your photos count.

SlowsterCivy
09-29-2008, 08:40 AM
AMEN!!!

Kevykev
09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Fight!

WhiteAccord
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
High Five

Sammich
09-29-2008, 08:51 AM
somebody didnt have their loli this morning

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 08:52 AM
somebody didnt have their loli this morning

heh Im a little upset I didnt get to drive my car to work this morning.

Killer
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
nice post... i'm new to photography myself (bought a d70 from rush maybe a year ago? maybe less)

but by NO MEANS do i consider myself a photographer... sometimes i'll throw a border up on a pic.. maybe re-size it... but i do NOT throw a water mark on it... or insert a "photo's done by pshyco crazy killer kyle Y0" in any photo/thread/post.... and like george said every time i go to the photo section i see a new watermark with "SOnSO PHOTOGRAPHY"..... gets old...

YES there is some SERIOUS talent on this site!!!!

Yes even some of us beginners get lucky and snap a good shot...

BUT NO NOT EVERYONE WITH A CAMERA IS A PHOTOGRAPHER!!!

Sammich
09-29-2008, 08:59 AM
heh Im a little upset I didnt get to drive my car to work this morning.

I CAN SHIP SOME PREMIUM FROM HERE IF U WANT ME TOO:lmfao:

BUT THIS THREAD INCLUDES MUCH TRUTH..THEY TOLD ME TO GET A NIKON D40 OR SOME OTHER EXPENSIVE ISH...I GOT ME A KODAK...AND IM STILL SCARED TO TAKE PICS...

AznTraitor
09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
in before the whiners cry about using their pics in your rant....

Ran
09-29-2008, 09:11 AM
1. The "I just bought a DSLR and have formed XXXX Photography"NEMESIS DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY FTMFW!

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
NEMESIS DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY FTMFW!

lol Im at least a limited liability company!

Ran
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
lol Im at least a limited liability company!lol, I'm just messing with ya man. PM me if you still wanna sell that pipe.

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
lol, I'm just messing with ya man. PM me if you still wanna sell that pipe.

shhh man, I dont want people knowing im selling "pipes".

TeeJay
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
TeeJay PhotoCrew!!!!!!11

Sammich
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
shhh man, I dont want people knowing im selling "pipes".
WATTA HOE

bandydesign
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
lol, I know I fall into a number of these categories, however the truth is I talk up my work for two reasons. On some occasions, I am quite impressed with what I come up with and in others; I want some business! lol

I have alot to work on in these areas as well.

I have noticed a trend I follow. I will pick up a new technique and overuse it for a day's worth of photos or two. Then I move that technique to the back of my mind and look for the proper time to use it. I remember posting up those dramatically altered photos not too long ago and some of them I regret posting. Everyone must live and learn however and I have moved along as well.

Keep watching my photo threads Nemesis, I want your C&C in particular. Good watching out!

PhatbacK
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
wow Nemesis........you should put that in a book!!! "You know your not a professional photographer when.."

DeutscheBAG!
09-29-2008, 11:55 AM
ok
Dude I was just saying the same **** to myself this morning
I was damn... How many cats arencalling themselves photographers on here now
I see some of the **** and I'm like ***** please! And some of these cats are charging people for shoots. Lol. And I agree on everything u said. I'll post my rants when I'm near a comp. Wait too much to type from the iPhone
+50

Alan®
09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
This is the 2nd anti-photography thread you have posted in the past few months.

twinj
09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Pretty sure this will piss someone off.

Killer
09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Pretty sure this will piss someone off.

who cares???

BKgen®
09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
"knock knock"

"who's there?"

"George and I'ma"

"George and I'ma, who?"

"George and I'm a whiney little b*tch."

"Go the fvck away."

Nismo
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
"knock knock"

"who's there?"

"George and I'ma"

"George and I'ma, who?"

"George and I'm a whiney little b*tch."

"Go the fvck away."

REPS!

twinj
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
who cares???

Lol, yea you right. You know how sensitive mofo are about they cars though. I thought the same thing about some of the pix's. I just didn't want to start an E-war so I just kept my mouth shut.

RandomGuy
09-29-2008, 07:07 PM
http://minerals.gps.caltech.edu/brazil/pictures/Shuster-pictures/Manaus/Pirahana%20Jaca.jpg

thats what you call photography

Z33_kid
09-29-2008, 07:50 PM
hmmmm

ep9716
09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Sweet Pics You Posted Man REPPES!!! I LOVE THE JDM ANGLES.

Dammit:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nemesis again.

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Lol, yea you right. You know how sensitive mofo are about they cars though. I thought the same thing about some of the pix's. I just didn't want to start an E-war so I just kept my mouth shut.

I could care less about the cars being shot. Im not knocking someones ride, im knocking something else.

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
hmmmm

Exactly. Nothing to say?

quickdodge®
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a comment, lolol. Seriously, too.

Find another backdrop for your pictures!

The Varsity and surrounding parking garages are NOT where it's at anymore. I know a lot of you live out in the boonies. Expand your mind and find the many great landscape settings to shoot in.

I agree with George about most everything he stated. Especially angle shots and over saturated photos.

Now where George is able to make his observations/critiques and be heard through his experiences, I can tell my opinions/critiques as a picture viewer. I am putting it in the perspective of your average viewer of the pics.

Later, QD.

Jaimecbr900
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
In all honesty, this is why I don't bother to post any of my pics anymore. When people fall all over themselves over blurry and badly composed pics....I figure I'm not going to learn anything from their opinion.

Props to George.:goodjob:

ATK_Designs
09-30-2008, 04:53 PM
When I read this, and scroll through the posts, I was hoping that my pics didn't show up on George's call out list. lol.

hahaha, thank god that I never claim to by a photographer. I'm not one and never will be. Most of people ask me if "ATK Designs" stands for photography, I tell them it's not. It's completely unrelated.

***wipes of sweats in the forehead***

Btw, I still need a photographer when I'm back. Don't forget I signed u up for it :p

.blank cd
09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
[counter rant]

I actually took that picture through a paper towel roll, George. Im not saying im 100% proud of that picture by any means, and thats not one of my best photos, but hey, the owner of the car likes it and thats all that matters...

And dont forget to include the other picture you saw that was taken with the same exact lens

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/vtexguy03/Adams%20Integra/DSC_0336edit.jpg

AND not all hobbyists have an unlimited budget for Nikkor and Canon fisheyes and wide angles and such. some of us gotta make due with the stuff that we have. So instead of so much bashing, why dont you use some of that energy CONSTRUCTIVLY and throw out some pointers to those of us who are trying to better their craft?

.blank cd
09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Then lets further expand on this "photographer" thing

Merriam-Webster defines "Photographer" as someone who practices photography; which is defined as the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a film, or in this case a digital image sensor) by the action of radiant energy and especially light. So in all actuality, there may be more "photographers" on here than you think. Whether or not they are "Professional", "Semi-Pro", "Amateur", or "Novice", that is on a case by case basis

.blank cd
09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
On the other hand i also agree that not EVERYONE is a photographer. Your average 16yr old girl who just happend to get a hold of her mom/dads EOS40D, taking pics of her and her friends at school is not a photographer. However, someone who is on a limited budget that has a Nikon Coolpix who regularly goes out and takes pictures of his favorite scenery because thats what he enjoys doing, is a photographer. Someone who has a Canon 1Ds mark III or a Nikon D3 who gets paid to take pictures for the Atlanta Journal Constitution is a Professional photographer. You have to find out where you can put your own self in that analogy. So with that being said, all you photographers, dont get discouraged by anything said in this thread. Get out there, do what you love to do, ask questions, get answers.

bandydesign
09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
4. THIS IS NOT A WIDE ANGLE PHOTO

If you want a wide angle photo, dont use those cheap ebay "tube kits" that make you look like your taking photos through a toilet paper roll. For example,

It hurts my eyes...

WHY NOT??!?!?!?!!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/DSC_0053-1.jpg

All the cool photogs are doing it!

bandydesign
09-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I almost forgot... its not cool 'till its HDR

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/hdrawesomeness-3_2_1.jpg

Nemesis
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Ill respond to the rest later when I get into work tommorrow, but I had to respond tonight to the below.

Someone who has a Canon 1Ds mark III or a Nikon D3 who gets paid to take pictures for the Atlanta Journal Constitution is a Professional photographer.

Ill tell you right now, most "paid" photographers borrow equipment bought by the company. So also going by this statement you say, then those tards at your local Sears/WalMart/and Mall that take "Glamour Shots" are professional photographers as well? Thought so... You guys still think a photographer is made by his equipment huh? Ill tell you right now, Id place my bets on Jason with a Sony Point and Shoot over joe -schmo on here with a DSLR any got damn day.

LMFAO @ KustomBuildz, that sir is pure awesome. Im going to make a sig tommorrow :lmfao: ultra jdm toilet paper roll wide angle bokeh monster lens y0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, if you're taking it personal, thats not how I intended it. But then again, if you are taking taking it personal maybe Im right....

VooDooXII
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Hahahahahaha @ point #1. Sounds exactly like a friend of mine.

uproot
09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
kustombuildz... that right there is funny... LOL :lmfao:

DeeAOne
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
WHY NOT??!?!?!?!!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/DSC_0053-1.jpg

All the cool photogs are doing it!i like how IA is on the screen in the background. lol

puregroove
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm workin' on it, George!! Reps!!

Nemesis
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
BOUT TIME THIS BISH GOT A BUMP

Nerdsrock22
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry I did an HDR 2 years ago. I thought it was neat. :(

BKgen®
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Lol @ douchebaggery on pg 2.

my bad dawg :lmao:

Nemesis
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Lol @ douchebaggery on pg 2.

my bad dawg :lmao:

LOL I DIDNT SEE THAT SHIT.

Is two years beyond the statute of limitations for neg repping LOL

ash7
04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
You brought up some good points Nemesis, but came across a little harsh.

Constructive thread though. :goodjob:
-jonathan

CHADbee
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE?

Nemesis
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
LOL DEPENDS ON HOW MANY COOL PICS BRO

SE-R_Li-Go
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
lol i love this.

Dietcoke
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Kevin took one of my Sky at the V muscle car meet a year or so ago and it turned out awesome.

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
8. Quit using your flash at night

GET A ****ING TRIPOD AND STOP USING THE FLASH AT NIGHT. The harsh light from a direct flash brings out the worst in any car. From swirl marks , dirty wheel wells, to busted up radiators. If you didnt already know this, refer to rant number FIVE.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/mrhan44/DSCN1023.jpg

Damn.... I just did recently...
http://bandydesign.com/photohost/emandwilma.jpg

I'm a shitty photog, sorry :(

Nerdsrock22
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Kevin get your crappy shots out of here.

CHADbee
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
yeah n0obC@k3 GTFO ---->

RL...
04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
From a photo-viewer pov I personally like hdr lot granted the car and location suit it. I also like non hdr and realistic shots, and everything in the middle. The pictures with crazy angles do piss me off, while it's true that sometimes a little angle can make it more dramatic many ppl take it overboard. Also, why do ppl post pics of their stock car....

Nerdsrock22
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Also, why do ppl post pics of their stock car....

You can still take a good picture of a stock car.

RL...
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
You can still take a good picture of a stock car.

true but:
a) we all know what stock hondas/nissans/mitsus, etc... look like...
b) cars that are bone stock are boring to look at unless it is a supercar..and even then it should be modified lol

CHADbee
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
ive always taken pictures of my car stock because its nice to see a progression through the different stages :dunno:

RL...
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
ive always taken pictures of my car stock because its nice to see a progression through the different stages :dunno:

It is nice to see a cars progression as you mod it, I can't argue with that. I wish I had a picture of my car when it was stock for the same reason. But at the same time I would never post it...lol

Nerdsrock22
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
cars that are bone stock are boring to look at unless it is a supercar..and even then it should be modified lol

Not as much as crooked Del Sols underneath tractor trailers run through a Hulu filter.

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Not as much as crooked Del Sols underneath tractor trailers run through a Hulu filter.

OMG THIS IS MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVARRRRR

Kevin get your crappy shots out of here.

lol

e30pwr
04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
lol, i wonder who two years ago those two were, so we can see where they are now?

blaknoize
04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Well what about these? They were taken by my BB with a half-screen (I broke it long ago)

In particular to QD's post, how about these backdrops? I no longer own the car, but still. Can someone resize these, geez!

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
why are photographers posting pictures in the anti-photographer thread?

blaknoize
04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
why are photographers posting pictures in the anti-photographer thread?

interesting u ask that, because...

OMFG please resize those pics and the one that follows

blaknoize
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
And the hills

BKgen®
04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
*parks genesis under trailer*

5speed
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I completely agree with the OP. It seems like there is a lot of "graphic designers" also these days, but not particularly to this site.

MachNU
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I just bought a D50 with a 18-55mm lense can I start a photography business?

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I just bought a D50 with a 18-55mm lense can I start a photography business?

Only if you have an obnoxious watermark on all your photos.

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
*parks genesis under trailer*

ill keeeeel yoooooou

JITB
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
i HATE!!!!!! when i go to a meet/event and see everyone with a canon or nikon and than i get home, and expect to see good pics, and i see everyoen took pics of the SAME CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy
04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I am a photographer. I have a flickr Pro account. LOL. No photoshop here. Check my meta h0. All straight from the camera. Point and shoot Cannon 50a or some shit. Shout out to Changy And Halston: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tracy_shayhorn/collections/72157615656168414/

Holler back.

MachNU
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Only if you have an obnoxious watermark on all your photos.

well dam. I wanted to put a BIG ASS FUCKING "M.D." mirror look in the very middle of the picture! :(

Nemesis
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I am a photographer. I have a flickr and a dslr (I think). No photoshop here. Check my meta h0. All straight from the camera. Point and shoot Cannon 50a or some shit. Shout out to Changy And Halston: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tracy_shayhorn/collections/72157615656168414/

Holler back.

I love this post and give it a e-hug.

Nemesis
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
well dam. I wanted to put a BIG ASS FUCKING "M.D." mirror look in the very middle of the picture! :(

S.A.D Photography

IF YOU DONT PAY ME FOR MY SHIT YOU CAN SUCK.A.DICK

lol

Tracy
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I love this post and give it a e-hug.

and I love you p0ser.

MachNU
04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
S.A.D Photography

IF YOU DONT PAY ME FOR MY SHIT YOU CAN SUCK.A.DICK

lol

Thats not a bad idea...hold on...

MachNU
04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
am I photographer now?

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/mirrordetailing/scrweingaroundcopy.jpg

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
am I photographer now?

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/mirrordetailing/scrweingaroundcopy.jpg

OMG A GTR AWESOME PIC BRO!

MachNU
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
OMG A GTR AWESOME PIC BRO!

So I am a photographer now? :D

bandydesign
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
So I am a photographer now? :D

duh! How much you charge? Shoot my F-150

CHADbee
04-13-2010, 10:55 PM
lol, i wonder who two years ago those two were, so we can see where they are now?

it was me and snuffleupagus