PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Maaco Paint Job

240sx_dreams
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey guys I am kinda new to the forums and I am looking to get my car repainted, I was going to consider Maaco as I want to get the car ready before I sell it in late 2009-early 2010, want to get something better by the time I graduate. Any feedback on this would be great, also what do you think ambassador or presidential, any one have a possible idea on price. The car in question is a 1996 Nissan 200sx-se with 136,000 miles, the car itself is great but the paint is starting to look really bad, please write me back as soon as possible.

Motivation
09-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey guys I am kinda new to the forums and I am looking to get my car repainted, I was going to consider Maaco as I want to get the car ready before I sell it in late 2009-early 2010, want to get something better by the time I graduate. Any feedback on this would be great, also what do you think ambassador or presidential, any one have a possible idea on price. The car in question is a 1996 Nissan 200sx-se with 136,000 miles, the car itself is great but the paint is starting to look really bad, please write me back as soon as possible.

Honestly, there are 3983059504952049509 threads about Maaco paintjobs... Some good, some bad. You get what you pay for. It all depends on who does it, some shops do a good job, others don't. It depends if they actually care or take pride in their work. If you are just painting it to sell it, then go for it. But I would wait a little closer to the time you plan on selling it. That way the paint don't fade before then, if Maaco does a bad job..

240sx_dreams
09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
the problem is there are some spots on the car that are starting to rust and the paint is oxidizing in some spots, when I went to wash my car today i accidentally hit the chipping spot and it stripped the paint of the roof all the way to the primer which really sucked. Do you think before I take it in i should sand down the few rust spots on the car. so it wont become a problem later on?

DC2NR
09-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Sand down the rust spots and spray over them with primer. Any bare metal should be covered with primer to help prevent rust.

240sx_dreams
09-27-2008, 07:19 PM
you think i should chip away the pain in the areas that are bubbling and already chipped, i just want to make this look good on a budget, and also does maaco do the trunk recesses as well.

driftingkid
09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Do anything you can do by yourself,Sand it down,tape it off etc,
The paints not bad if you get the warranty paint if its just your DD or your selling the car go for it.

240sx_dreams
09-27-2008, 11:04 PM
by the way what is their warranty on their work, and what are the differences between ambassador, presidential, and supreme. I also would like to know if they do the door jams and inside the trunk lid as part of their packages. Please let me know guys i am relying on you guys for this info.

RBS
09-28-2008, 08:25 AM
the differenes in each are the types of paint they use and how they use it. going from low to high you get enamel to polyurethane to multistage polyurethane paint.... pay more get better. but even with a low class paint job get a warranty and keep complaining that you dont like it... eventually they will fit it to how you like it with the paint that you chose lol

frostbyte
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
the 3 are diff paints.. in a nutshell lowest quality is a single stage w/minimum shine, next up is a single stage with a integrated clear coat added to theyre single stage., and last is thier basecoat clear coat. and its ok jus go to some maacos and ask to see some work they all have pix availble.. the jambs are additional cost.. not included in any packages.. including hood, doors, trunk, gas door.. and the part bout doin it ur self wont save u much. all the shops prefer doing it, unless u have done the sanding before yourself leave it alone. cause if done wrong they will tell u and charge u more to fix the screw up.. we used to get presanded cars alot but we always charged alot more becuse the work was done with too heave of a grit and sucked.. maaco in douglasville has a great crew i spent 8 yrs there, before i went to this new shop. the owner mark is an idiot. but the painter and sanders are great, they will do u right.. tell them frost sent u if u go payem a visit