PDA

View Full Version : car won't start

PROŽ
09-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I have a 1999 Civic Si, and got the timing belt and water pump done yesterday afternoon. I drove the car to atlanta and back last night, and this morning I decided to clean out the engine bay. I sprayed some degreaser over the engine bay, and washed it down with a hose(covered the distributor and intake with plastic bags). I let it dry for about two hours, and when I tried to start it up-it wouldnt turnover(lights/radio etc work). Whats wrong? Did i get water somewhere where it wasnt supposed to be? If so, if i leave it to dry over night, will it crank up tomorrow?

Barefoot
09-28-2008, 01:11 AM
let it dry out for a few hours and try it again. if it doesnt work start troubleshooting your fuel and spark.

scabtastic
09-28-2008, 05:29 AM
put the key in the ignition?....kidding, good luck!

RBS
09-28-2008, 08:22 AM
clean your tranny ground, you prolly dirtied it up and now engine has no ground. and check your starter power and signal cable, make sure their clean and tight

PROŽ
09-28-2008, 12:10 PM
let it dry out for a few hours and try it again. if it doesnt work start troubleshooting your fuel and spark.
I'm somewhat new to this, so i how do i go about troubleshooting the fuel/spark, lol?

put the key in the ignition?....kidding, good luck!
:thinking:, good idea! thanks though, haha.

clean your tranny ground, you prolly dirtied it up and now engine has no ground. and check your starter power and signal cable, make sure their clean and tight
Tranny ground=checked, and starter power/signal cable appear to be clean.
btw, i think i might have seen you once a couple months ago at the subway in forest park. I had a black Si.

Tech5
09-28-2008, 12:16 PM
check your air presure I seen this cause it not to start sometimes too...

BTW if your NOOb to working on cars leave it to the PROS an call your local ASE Mechanic! like me! j/k

You got water in the cap somehow, take it off an take brake clean an spray it down an blow it out with air, an then try it again!

PROŽ
09-29-2008, 06:31 AM
turns out it was the starter. I was told that the brushes in the starter motor can be stuck, so I hit it with a screw driver several times and tried to crank it back up, and it worked on like the third time. thanks!

RBS
09-29-2008, 07:27 AM
turns out it was the starter. I was told that the brushes in the starter motor can be stuck, so I hit it with a screw driver several times and tried to crank it back up, and it worked on like the third time. thanks!

cool points, you proud of yourself now? :goodjob:

EmminoDaGreat
09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
check your air presure I seen this cause it not to start sometimes too...

BTW if your NOOb to working on cars leave it to the PROS an call your local ASE Mechanic! like me! j/k

You got water in the cap somehow, take it off an take brake clean an spray it down an blow it out with air, an then try it again!

Ask Someone Else !!! lol... J/k cause I took them too...

integra82786
09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
time for a new starter. after a while hitting it isnt going to work anymore.