PDA

View Full Version : is our economy 'fundamentally strong' ?

4dmin
09-27-2008, 08:42 AM
McCain has gone on the record that our economy is 'fundamentally strong'. If this is true why are we bailing out companies at the tune of 700 billion. They have enjoyed making billions off of the american public in the past and now after failing practices we have to bail them out.

mccain/palin keep saying less gov't is the way to go but isn't that what got us here? regulations in these markets are obviously needed.

housing fails again this month, unemployment still rising, wallstreet in the gutter, dollar isn't worth sh!t, etc

are we 'fundamentally strong' or mccain 'just doesn't get it'?

blacknightteg
09-27-2008, 10:57 PM
he sure as hell doesnt get it.

tdurr
09-27-2008, 11:02 PM
he is just waiting to die. so he says wut ever the hell he wants...

bigdare23
09-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I wonder if any McCain supporters going to vote in this thread.

blacknightteg
09-27-2008, 11:16 PM
probably not, and if it is, the first one is going to be vtecidd

Tech5
09-27-2008, 11:53 PM
we all are going to be killing each other for gas,food,supplys,etc if something isnt done about this, Ecomony = Americans going POOR...What are they an us going to do about this

4dmin
09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I wonder if any McCain supporters going to vote in this thread.

i was wondering the same thing :thinking:

1/9 but you don't see any post supporting that vote

blaknoize
09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
yea hes fundamentally slow...

Brick
09-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see the statement in full context before I say he "just doesn't get it".

I guess he just held a press conference and stated, "Our economy is fundamentally strong", and walked away?

BB6dohcvtec
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
"On her radio show today, conservative talker Laura Ingraham asked Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) what he believed should be done to address the struggling U.S. economy. Ingraham listed several economic indicators that have declined in recent years to make her point. McCain dismissed the premise of Ingraham’s question, saying, “I still believe the fundamentals of our economy are strong”:

INGRAHAM: And now look: the dollar’s weak, we have serious competition from abroad, government is running a deficit. … What are the Republicans going to do if China ultimately overtakes us economically and does that matter?

MCCAIN: I still believe the fundamentals of our economy are strong. We’ve got terribly big challenges now, whether it be housing or employment or so many of the other — health care. It’s very, very tough times. It’s very tough. But we’re still the most innovative, the most productive, the greatest exporter, the greatest importer."

there ya go

Brick
09-28-2008, 08:56 PM
"On her radio show today, conservative talker Laura Ingraham asked Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) what he believed should be done to address the struggling U.S. economy. Ingraham listed several economic indicators that have declined in recent years to make her point. McCain dismissed the premise of Ingraham’s question, saying, “I still believe the fundamentals of our economy are strong”:

INGRAHAM: And now look: the dollar’s weak, we have serious competition from abroad, government is running a deficit. … What are the Republicans going to do if China ultimately overtakes us economically and does that matter?

MCCAIN: I still believe the fundamentals of our economy are strong. We’ve got terribly big challenges now, whether it be housing or employment or so many of the other — health care. It’s very, very tough times. It’s very tough. But we’re still the most innovative, the most productive, the greatest exporter, the greatest importer."

there ya go

Seems to me like he gets it, but isn't Mr. Doom and Gloom about it.

BanginJimmy
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
All of thids goes back to a single root cause. The housing bubble burst and trapped alot of stupid people into mortagaes they couldnt afford. Because so many people were defaulting on mortgages credit and liquidity became an issue. Because credit and liquidity became an issue corporations were having a hard time meeting their other obligations and couldnt expand.

The fundamentals such as innovation, and productivity are still there, but the jobs are not.

Vteckidd
09-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Another Liberal Talking point.

Mccain is simply stating that the FUNDAMENTALS of the economy are still strong. Well you would have to DEFINE what "fundamental" means. He later stated he meant the fundamentals of the economy were "the american worker".

But then again im sure that is not what the Dems want to hear. yall just want to hear "he is out of touch and doesnt get it" so who cares.

Why are we bailing out the companies, well it sucks really and i agree with Bush that my first instinct is NO. But he is right, and so are the rest of congress who is BEHIND this plan, including OBAMA. If we do NOTHING it will far outweight the consequences of bailing the financial district out.

If we do NOTHING, i dont really think you people realize how hard its going to be. There will be NO LOANS, no BANKS, NO CREDIT. This means no JOBS, it means you cant buy a house, you cant put your kid through school, businesses wont be able to expand, meet their payroll, etc.

I mean you guys realize that companies take out loans every day for simple stuff such as MEETING PAYROLL EXPENSES. Cash Flow is a major problem even for big companies.

Whose at Fault?

Carter and the Dems for pushing "equal housing" and extending frivolous lending to "poor" and unqualified buyers

The Dems for the last 2 years doing NOTHING to stop it

The Bush Admin for not doing anything to stop it

The Companies for being too greedy and not seeing this happening

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, greedy lobbyists, politicians, CEOs, etc.

This is not a REPUBLICAN nor is it a DEMOCRAT problem, BOTH sides are at fault and any attempt to make this a partisan argument are people that dont have a clue and are so blind with hate they cant see the other side.

The BAILOUT has to happen, if it doesnt, God Help us all, and the world too.

Get off your island, stop drinking the kool aid

{X}Echo419
09-28-2008, 11:36 PM
if our economy wasn't "fundamentally strong a "crisis" like this would have destroyed it.

JConner
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
if the government would stay the hell out of the private sector the economy would fix itself like it has done for the past 100 years

tony
09-29-2008, 07:56 AM
if the government would stay the hell out of the private sector the economy would fix itself like it has done for the past 100 years

The government staying out of the private sector is what allowed companies to offer $600k mortgages to people flipping burgers down the street.

D.Choe
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
McCain has gone on the record that our economy is 'fundamentally strong'. If this is true why are we bailing out companies at the tune of 700 billion. They have enjoyed making billions off of the american public in the past and now after failing practices we have to bail them out.

mccain/palin keep saying less gov't is the way to go but isn't that what got us here? regulations in these markets are obviously needed.

housing fails again this month, unemployment still rising, wallstreet in the gutter, dollar isn't worth sh!t, etc

are we 'fundamentally strong' or mccain 'just doesn't get it'?

I think that someone like McCain can make a statement like that only because he's "a guy who's married to a big-time player in an essentially recession-proof sector of the economy".

I'm sure if he was "like the rest of us" he probably wouldn't be saying things of that nature

BlkCD5
09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
maybe he's starting to go senile

man
09-29-2008, 09:47 PM
maybe he's starting to go senile

Or maybe people on this forums don't understand the word fundamental...

D.Choe
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Or maybe people on this forums don't understand the word fundamental...

I mean, the thing is our economy HAD a strong infrastructure, but now all the small businesses are being consolidated by bigger ones, which isn't ENTIRELY bad, but when the large corporations are in debt/bankrupt, it resulted in the DOW suffering from one of the worst point drops ever

highspeed
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Is the economy fundamentally strong?................this question is both loaded and open ended. On paper the economy is really strong. But like communism, the economy has inherent flaws. I think the real question is " Is the government fundamentally sound enough to tackle the economy's inherent fundamental flaws?" The answer to that is YES and NO. Maybe there should be a poll on "Is the government fundamentally strong enough to handle the economy?" " What boundaries should be set so that the government has some kind of limit of control on the economy?" or something along these lines.

4dmin
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
yesterdays numbers would probably testify to how fundamentally sound we are right now.

v-empire
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
we are in the ****ter!!! arrghhhh

because of our hurting, others wil hurt too..

time to jump!