PDA

View Full Version : The Effect of Diesel fuel in Reg. Gas car

southside
09-27-2008, 06:42 AM
I was just wondering what would be the damage from it?I know it will mess some shi.t up.Question is like what?Fuel pump,Injectors,pistons????

John@Z1
09-27-2008, 08:00 AM
We recently had a 350z and a 300zx TT come through with the issue. The 350z ended up having rod knock the O2 sensors, injectors, fuel pump, and cats were shot. The TTZ had to have the injectors, fuel dampner, fuel regulator, fuel pump, cats, and it damaged the resonators in the exhaust. Insurance paid for both jobs after the stores denied having the incorrect fuel in the tanks.

green91
09-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I fix atleast 10 cars a year for this.. ive only ever had 1 vehicle that needed repair other than just draining the tank and filling it with gas.

scttydb411
09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
it depends on how much diesel you're talking about.

when i worked for a rental car company this used to happen all the time. if it was just a little, a lot of premium could get you through it. however, in most cases the tanks needed to be drained, lines and injectors needed to be cleaned. if someone kept trying to crank it forever the head would have to be pulled, oil and bearings changed in the bottom...but that was very rare.

i still don't understand how people make that mistake. if the correct nozzle is on the pump it won't even fit (it's supposed to be larger). even if it isn't the pump is dirty because of the diesel and usually not connected to a gasoline pump (usually standing by itself). you would think when someone doesn't have to push a button to select which fuel that would send a warning message to the brain.

southside
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
6 gallons and car only was driven for 5mins then it cut off

redrumracer
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
did you put it on purpose to see if it would run? i mean i dont really see how it can be done by accident.

Nemesis
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
6 gallons and car only was driven for 5mins then it cut off

LMFAO n000000000bbbbbbbbbbbbb

.blank cd
09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
People put it in their cars cause they arent educated. It really doesnt happen by accident. The nozzles are larger. My g/f asked me the other night what diesel gas was and what would happen if she put it in her tank

BlkCD5
09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Most stations i've seen have the diesel pump color coded green to prevent mishaps, but im sure it still happens anyways.

Member31410
09-29-2008, 12:34 PM
My uncle filled up his gas powered U-Haul truck with diesel when we moved here from CA. All U-Haul did was drain the diesel and put in some gas and the truck starting running again.

Kevykev
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
ask Ran!

Gutling
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
a friend of mine put diesel in a car before, he was drunk (not driving, he was passenger) and the pumps werent seperated, he just grabbed the last handle thinking it was premium. All we had to do was drop tank and empty it, was 95 gt mustang. diesel into a gas car is usually not that bad

southside
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
did you put it on purpose to see if it would run? i mean i dont really see how it can be done by accident.:lmfao: it wasnt me that did it and it wasnt a accident someone told the person diesel was a higher grade of unleaded LMFAO

Nittanys1
10-07-2008, 10:15 PM
ahh so is this why there is a thread on here on how to drop an intergra's gas tank?!? lol....

Ran
10-08-2008, 11:45 AM
ask Ran!Indeed. Last year I was at a Shell station where some jack@ss had swapped the nozzles. I pumped my Yaris with about a gallon and a half of diesel. The car ran like sh*t for a while. Sputtered, coughed, and wouldn't accelerate for sh*t. I tried balancing it out with some regular gas and that helped. I got lucky that no serious damage was done. Once it got run through the system, I ran some fuel injector cleaner through just to be safe. Never had a problem.

mmmmpsi
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised we don't hear more about people putting E-85 in their cars by mistake.. But to put diesel in you have to be a real idiot..

VooDooXII
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
My uncle filled up his gas powered U-Haul truck with diesel when we moved here from CA. All U-Haul did was drain the diesel and put in some gas and the truck starting running again.

This is the only mildly forgivable story...well this, and Ran's story. I'm surprised at how often this happens. How do people even make this mistake?

southside
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
ahh so is this why there is a thread on here on how to drop an intergra's gas tank?!? lol....Naw thats not me:lmfao: I was just wondering because somone I knew had did it.Well the car is fixed now drained the tank and cleared the lines.But it made me laugh because they didnt know what diesel was:crazy:

Total_Blender
10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
My uncle found a 5 gallon gas can on the side of the road and poured its contents into his tank without checking it out, thinking he had just struck a bonanza of free gas. He was so excited about it he stopped by our house to gloat about it to my dad.

About 10 minutes later he came creeping back with a trail of dense gray smoke behind him about a mile long. The car would barely run. It was diesel that was in the gas can.

He dropped the tank, rinsed it out with regular gasoline, blew out the fuel lines with compressed air, and re-filled with premium. The car ran OK after that but it never stopped smoking and he drove it like that for a couple of months, untill the cops pulled him over and told him it would be a bad idea for him to ever drive through town again smoking like that.:lmfao:

VooDooXII
10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Diesel is supposed to be stored in a yellow can.