PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Accident Question

DrivenMind
09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I was watching some clips of racing accidents earlier, and I came across a video of some guys racing motorcycles. The guy in front of the chase bike dumps it, and as the other motorcycle goes to avoid him he inadvertently runs him over. This prompted a sort of question in my mind, and I don't think I've ever heard it brought up.

If you're on a motorcycle, and you know you're about to hit someone, could you try and wheelie just before you hit them, so that you hit them with only the back tyre? I know this sounds somewhat ridiculous at first, but it seems to me that if the heaviest part of the bike is it's engine, you could effectively use the bikes own power to lift the heaviest part of the bike up into the air and possibly over the person your going to hit, thus minimizing further damage?

Maybe this is just stupid, but I've only ridden a motorcycle once, and the throttle didn't return like it was supposed to, so it wasn't a pleasant first time experience.

osnap
09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
the only thing thats gonna accomplish is flipping yourself upside down. think about it.

alpine_aw11
09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
If you do wheelie, then you're also putting the entire weight of the bike on the one tire, and you're ****ed. It's a lose-lose situation no matter how you look at it.

osnap
09-26-2008, 10:06 PM
moral of the story is dont wreck a bike and you wont have to face this dilemma lol

dohc4.6sc
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
when you run over the person, you would end up on your ass. not possible, but good creative thoughts.

civic95
09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds like target fixation. #1 rule to motorcycling, is DO NOT look at what you want to avoid (you'll hit it), instead look where you want to go.

Elbow
09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like just a risk to take to me lol. No way around it. I also think if you wheelied over the guy...it would be worse, all that weight would just be straight up lol..idk...but I don't think anyone can react fast enough and actually pull a wheelie and run a man over lol.

DrivenMind
09-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Yea I don't know it was a random idea. I was thinking more or less that if it was the actual inertia of the bike hitting the other rider that would be dangerous, which would really only make sense if the guy was stopped on the track already, and the bike was coming at him at speed.