PDA

View Full Version : 7 better uses for $700 billion

4dmin
09-26-2008, 08:03 AM
good reading.

By Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/?partner=msnedit)
If the bailout sounds like a lot of money, that's because it is. What else it could buy? How about health insurance for everyone, or fixing all the roads and bridges?

Wall Street's crisis is about to become Main Street's crisis, as bank credit freezes and loans dry up. The government's fix: $700 billion to buy up the bad loans choking the system.It's a monster plan, but there's little choice, according White House and Federal Reserve officials. Though much of the money may return to the nation's coffers over time as the Treasury sells off the mortgage-backed assets it will purchase, the bailout will severely limit what the government can afford to spend on health care, energy, infrastructure and education in the years ahead.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Forbes/7BetterUsesfor700Billion.aspx?GT1=33002 <<<< read article

4dmin
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
no one read?

jwrape
09-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Yep, it's a scary thought. I'm glad it's taking time to get it through congress.

4dmin
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Yep, it's a scary thought. I'm glad it's taking time to get it through congress.

it is amazing a lot of the hardships most americans are facing are issues both candidates are running on. after reading the forbes article kinda reminds you of all of the things that 700 billion could be invested in: energy, healthcare, jobs, infrastructure, etc

metalman
09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Another interesting read...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122221420203869283.html

The cheapest bailout would be one that weeds out enough surplus housing to stop the free fall in a handful of overbuilt markets, whose foreclosure epidemic is dragging down the entire securitized mortgage market. We're talking about buying thousands of houses, not millions of mortgages. And yet the resulting higher mortgage debt prices automatically would help to recapitalize the banks, while (knock wood) leaving some Paulson powder dry for future contingencies.

DrivenMind
09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
it is amazing a lot of the hardships most americans are facing are issues both candidates are running on. after reading the forbes article kinda reminds you of all of the things that 700 billion could be invested in: energy, healthcare, jobs, infrastructure, etc

You forgot more war machines.

josh green
09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, the solar panel thing would be pretty sweet. I dont know what it would do for my friends that work for georgia power, unless GP started the branch and built it. Solar panels are pretty expensive but if people had them on their roofs and new buildings or renovations had them implemented that the cost would go down as a side effect of demand.
I am not keen on the universal heath care system. I know the small business I work for is really getting the shaft like all other small businesses.
Fixing roads and bridges would be great for creating jobs, granted people arent too "good" to get out and sweat a little for work.
It seems the only thing thats going to save this country is when companies man up and bring production back to the United States.
I know I think twice when buying car parts. Do I want to pay a little more money and support a local shop or any shop rather than paying some kid that lives in his parents basement to drop ship things to you from the company that you got off ebay? At least supporting the shop is helping the economy, you know they will just restock on what they sell. It may not be much but its better than nothing.

blaknoize
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Love the power idea and the health care idea as well. But u KNOW the government wouldnt spend on its own residents to better itself, but it surely would spend on bullshyt mistakes.

DrivenMind
09-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Wow, the solar panel thing would be pretty sweet. I dont know what it would do for my friends that work for georgia power, unless GP started the branch and built it. Solar panels are pretty expensive but if people had them on their roofs and new buildings or renovations had them implemented that the cost would go down as a side effect of demand.
I am not keen on the universal heath care system. I know the small business I work for is really getting the shaft like all other small businesses.
Fixing roads and bridges would be great for creating jobs, granted people arent too "good" to get out and sweat a little for work.
It seems the only thing thats going to save this country is when companies man up and bring production back to the United States.
I know I think twice when buying car parts. Do I want to pay a little more money and support a local shop or any shop rather than paying some kid that lives in his parents basement to drop ship things to you from the company that you got off ebay? At least supporting the shop is helping the economy, you know they will just restock on what they sell. It may not be much but its better than nothing.

You have to admit though, some of those kids are damned good.

1SICKLEX
09-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Great article and I agree.