PDA

View Full Version : Zero Lash Help

Slomaro Z28
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I will putting my heads back on this weekend, my only thing is getting zero lash while putting the rockers on. I will be doing the "turn the pushrod" method with the engine not running. My question is do you have to turn the motor over so that the cylinder is @ TDC ? Or can you just tighten the rocker until you feel the pushrod get tension on it while spinning it? I heard if its done wrong you can bend some valves or worse....REPS for your help:goodjob:

Init2winit
09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Very simple. When one of the valves open to its peak, adjust the other valve on that cylinder. Zero lash, plus 1/2 turn. Repeat till you're done. BUT, be very careful that your lifters haven't blead down, or you may trick yourself, and mis-adjust one and keep the valve open. I usually don't even bother spinning the pushrods, I just tighten down the nut till there isn't any play in the rocker arm, and then add 1/2 turn. Its pretty self explanatory.

03RCode
09-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Very simple. When one of the valves open to its peak, adjust the other valve on that cylinder. Zero lash, plus 1/2 turn. Repeat till you're done. BUT, be very careful that your lifters haven't blead down, or you may trick yourself, and mis-adjust one and keep the valve open. I usually don't even bother spinning the pushrods, I just tighten down the nut till there isn't any play in the rocker arm, and then add 1/2 turn. Its pretty self explanatory.

Exactly what he said. The way I've always done it is when one valve is completely open, go to the other valve on that cylinder, turn till theres no play in the rocker arm, then between a 1/4 and 1/2 turn afterwards. Very simple to do.

Slomaro Z28
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
It'll click or tick if its not done right, right?

Init2winit
09-25-2008, 03:02 PM
If they are adjusted too loose, it'll have a valvetrain noise. If they're adjusted too tight, it will run rough, and you may have exhaust coming back through the intake.

flak_monkey
09-25-2008, 04:46 PM
It'll click or tick if its not done right, right?Get your butt back to z28.com to ask that question.

Slomaro Z28
09-25-2008, 05:58 PM
^ lol, I'll post it there too, I looked on SHBOX.COM but I dont have all the tools to see when I get each cylinder to TDC..... so just tighten the rockers until there is no play in them, but the valve has to be open or closed?

EDIT: NM I reread and found the answer