PDA

View Full Version : McCain

blaknoize
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
...wants to build a nuclear power plant here in northern Ohio between Columbus and Cleveland to create jobs... (if u havent seen this commercial, I guess its Ohio only) He's saying it will create 5000 new jobs and lower our dependency on foreign oil and all that. It may do so but at the cost of the workers well-being which I am opposed to, besides the US is using more coal (bout 88% at least here in Ohio) than it was last year. This is an industrious state, this state was built on that and needs those companies we lost to outsourcing brought back. Creating one business will not solve this states turmoil, McCain needs to bring in or bring back the jobs that made this state what it is.

Relating to the above statement of nuclear power: My aunt used to work at USEC, a uranium enrichment corporation. She was in it from the beginning; made great money and all that. I think 70K a year for an area of the country where the median income was 23K. She was forced to retire when she got cancer in her leg from her occupation. USEC refused to help with medical bills until made to by her attorney.

This may be more of a personal message and may not belong here, but I do not approve with McCain wanting to build another nuclear power plant here. Its very hazardous and will not solve Ohio's economic problem, there needs to be more thought into this, not just building, just because.

AlanŽ
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
...wants to build a nuclear power plant here in northern Ohio between Columbus and Cleveland to create jobs... (if u havent seen this commercial, I guess its Ohio only) He's saying it will create 5000 new jobs and lower our dependency on foreign oil and all that. It may do so but at the cost of the workers well-being which I am opposed to, besides the US is using more coal (bout 88% at least here in Ohio) than it was last year. This is an industrious state, this state was built on that and needs those companies we lost to outsourcing brought back. Creating one business will not solve this states turmoil, McCain needs to bring in or bring back the jobs that made this state what it is.

Relating to the above statement of nuclear power: My aunt used to work at USEC, a uranium enrichment corporation. She was in it from the beginning; made great money and all that. I think 70K a year for an area of the country where the median income was 23K. She was forced to retire when she got cancer in her leg from her occupation. USEC refused to help with medical bills until made to by her attorney.

This may be more of a personal message and may not belong here, but I do not approve with McCain wanting to build another nuclear power plant here. Its very hazardous and will not solve Ohio's economic problem, there needs to be more thought into this, not just building, just because.

I'm sorry about your Aunt.

Again this just goes to show that there needs to be a lot of reform in the way we do business. Unfortunately however those industrial jobs will probably never return. I don't know the full story about how your aunt got sick but Nuclear Power is a better long term solution than coal.

blaknoize
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry about your Aunt.

Again this just goes to show that there needs to be a lot of reform in the way we do business. Unfortunately however those industrial jobs will probably never return. I don't know the full story about how your aunt got sick but Nuclear Power is a better long term solution than coal.

Yea, since I'm speaking to narrowly on this one. The whole story... is way to long. However i know coal isnt the best, but its just the idea of that happening again. This place "Portsmouth,OH" is full of it. Most of our population works at USEC. Nuking is better per-say, but not at the cost of those who work there.

This also may be an Ohio-only issue, since we have alot of exclusive ads run, since we're a swing state. Also, the hope for the jobs themselves to come back are, yes, faint, but Ohio is hustling to find a way to change its economy to support us who live here. Our unemployment sky rocketed last year, I got lucky I suppose.

So this soon to be administration needs to aid us and every other state (except GA and AZ, cuz yall are on fire with growth) in this recovery or its gonna be bad... very bad

AlanŽ
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Yea, since I'm speaking to narrowly on this one. The whole story... is way to long. However i know coal isnt the best, but its just the idea of that happening again. This place "Portsmouth,OH" is full of it. Most of our population works at USEC. Nuking is better per-say, but not at the cost of those who work there.

This also may be an Ohio-only issue, since we have alot of exclusive ads run, since we're a swing state. Also, the hope for the jobs themselves to come back are, yes, faint, but Ohio is hustling to find a way to change its economy to support us who live here. Our unemployment sky rocketed last year, I got lucky I suppose.

So this soon to be administration needs to aid us and every other state (except GA and AZ, cuz yall are on fire with growth) in this recovery or its gonna be bad... very bad

In all honesty I would highly doubt that building 1 or several Nuclear plants in the area would have a negative effect on that area. Other major cities would still need coal and they could sell to them.