PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing, it's another...

bigdare23
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
When I thought my car was going to be fine for a few months **** starts ****ing up again! :2up:

I believe I need a driver side axle now and/or a rack and pinion now. My steering wheel is in the wrong location (at 10 o'clock rather then 12 o'clock) and when I drive my cars pulls hard to the left. In addition, every time I brake my steering wheel vibrates hard as hell. I looked under my car and wiggled both axles and the driver side one has some play in it. ****!!! Now, not only do I have to buy a driver side axle, but I need a half shaft too since I'm currently using a SiR axle and half shaft. :2up: As for the rack, I need to replace that anyways since my little "accident" with the ditch. Luckily, I have Robert's old one from his CRX. Anyways, sorry about the rant guys :cheers:

sakasaku
09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
that sucks.

toonz
09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I hate when stuff like that happens

sakasaku
09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
dare you know i have a whole rack and pinion in my storage bin from my civic if you want we can work something out!

JDMJAYDC2
09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
x2 on the axel thing the vibration is coming from your car being out of allignment and or your rotor problem that we still need to address we can get up after my move and knock all that stuff out no need to rant airdare i got you homie

EuroTra$h
09-23-2008, 07:46 PM
dude i fell your pain i just rebuilt my motor now my valves are ticking all 4 struts busted and my car does that vibrating sheet when i brake too in need so much mon ey to fix all that garbage

The BUCKY
09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
you still need the roof done? did you get any quotes anywhere else

StraightSix
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
x2 on the axel thing the vibration is coming from your car being out of allignment

Wrong! Alignments don't cause vibration. Especially a vibration under braking.

jfrolang
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
HF rack + Quaife = win

You can build a custom "SiR" driveshaft using an 88-89 Integra axle with a 90-93 Integra outboard CV joint.

LoveGirl
09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I believe I need a driver side axle now and/or a rack and pinion

x2

jriley60
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I believe I need a driver side axle now. Now, not only do I have to buy a driver side axle, but I need a half shaft too since I'm currently using a SiR axle and half shaft.

x2

im changing my Intermediate shaft and buying a driver's side Integra axle of the same year

bigdare23
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
you still need the roof done? did you get any quotes anywhere else

I haven't had a chance to get quotes yet, but with the crx messing up it seems like the hatch project is on the back burner once again. :(

bigdare23
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
HF rack + Quaife = win

You can build a custom "SiR" driveshaft using an 88-89 Integra axle with a 90-93 Integra outboard CV joint.

I'm really thinking about doing the Quaife thing. How hard would it be to install everything?!?

bigdare23
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I believe I need a driver side axle now. Now, not only do I have to buy a driver side axle, but I need a half shaft too since I'm currently using a SiR axle and half shaft.

x2

im changing my Intermediate shaft and buying a driver's side Integra axle of the same year

I guess we are in the same boat

bigdare23
09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Any one have a DA half shaft laying around?!? I dont really want to go the custom route.

jriley60
09-24-2008, 10:49 AM
I guess we are in the same boat

crappy part is mine came from hmotors like that they said if i sent them the old one they would send me a new but then what would i drive on till then...lol...i'll ask my friend he might have one....I'm still going to have hmotors send me a new one though just out of principal : )

EvasiveEF9
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Check your bushings/balljoints/tie rod ends?

LIKEG6
09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
vibration is your rotors being warped

Just get them turned if they are still in specs or replace them, but if you replace them then go ahead and replace your pads so that the old pads won't eat up the new rotors

JDMJAYDC2
09-24-2008, 06:16 PM
time to hit the pull a part d u know we can get a half shaft easiely

SlamminCRX
09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
vibration is your rotors being warped

Just get them turned if they are still in specs or replace them, but if you replace them then go ahead and replace your pads so that the old pads won't eat up the new rotors

x2

EvasiveEF9
09-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe, but that wouldn't account for the steering wheel being off. THAT could be the alignment, however...

Maybe oyu have a loose tie rod end AND bad rotors?

southside
09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
When I thought my car was going to be fine for a few months **** starts ****ing up again! :2up:

I believe I need a driver side axle now and/or a rack and pinion now. My steering wheel is in the wrong location (at 10 o'clock rather then 12 o'clock) and when I drive my cars pulls hard to the left. In addition, every time I brake my steering wheel vibrates hard as hell. I looked under my car and wiggled both axles and the driver side one has some play in it. ****!!! Now, not only do I have to buy a driver side axle, but I need a half shaft too since I'm currently using a SiR axle and half shaft. :2up: As for the rack, I need to replace that anyways since my little "accident" with the ditch. Luckily, I have Robert's old one from his CRX. Anyways, sorry about the rant guys :cheers:STOP RANTING and get the **** DONE! at least your car runs:2up: :cheers: .

jfrolang
09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
An EF manual steering rack is a very simple device. I will assume you already know how to remove/install the rack since you have to do that anyway.

To disassemble the rack, the first thing you're going to do is remove the boots that cover the inner tie rods. Then you'll remove the inner tie rods. If you are replacing them, you only have to remove one side (the rack will slide out in either direction). There is a lock washer that needs to be bent out of the way, then you'll use a 22mm wrench and a 17mm wrench to unscrew the inner tie rods from the rack. If you don't have a 22mm wrench, a 7/8" is the same size.

Next you're going to remove the rack guide screw (aka adjuster nut). It's a 14mm nut but it's surrounded by a giant 40mm lock nut. Honda has a special tool for the lock nut (P/N: 07916-SA50001), or you can use channel lock pliers. When that's out, a spring, washer and the rack guide will fall out.

At this point you will pry the pinion dust seal out (replace, Honda P/N: 53426-671-003) and remove a snap ring that holds the pinion in. Lift the pinion/bearing assembly out and then the rack will slide out of the case.

At the passenger end of the rack, there is a nylon rack end bushing. You'll want to replace this as well (Honda P/N: 53430-SH3-000). You'll probably want to hose out the empty gearbox to remove all the old grease and dirt. Use new grease on all the components before installing.

bigdare23
09-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks jfro!

bigdare23
09-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Tie rods are a year old. Plus if they were bad, the car was "click" while braking (been there done that LOL). I need to replace my rotors since I believe they are faulty (2nd time I need to resurface them in about 8 months) and I'm upgrading pads while I'm at it.

southside
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe I should make one of these does it really make u feel better?

bigdare23
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe I should make one of these does it really make u feel better?

Venting always make you feel better.

The BUCKY
09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
dare did you ever get the roof fixed on the hatch

bigdare23
09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
dare did you ever get the roof fixed on the hatch

Nope, it's still sitting at my grandparents house covered.

The BUCKY
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
oki can fix it for you when i get back from cali. bout 2weeks from now. that work for you

bigdare23
09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
oki can fix it for you when i get back from cali. bout 2weeks from now. that work for you

I might have to push it back toward the end of the year now, since the crx is going to take a grip to fix. Plus, I gotta drop a motor I have laying around in it (or replace a headgasket) before I put it on the road again (sad thing is I dont have the time to fix it now). I know, we'll work out something. Thanks homie :goodjob:

southside
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
haha I'd replace the head gasket on the 16 and call it a day

Black R
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM

hmmm..... I want to take the sunroof out of my hatch. I'll hit you up on that too bucky. Maybe aluminum or lexan instead to fill the hole and reduce weight? ;)

bigdare23
10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
An EF manual steering rack is a very simple device. I will assume you already know how to remove/install the rack since you have to do that anyway.

To disassemble the rack, the first thing you're going to do is remove the boots that cover the inner tie rods. Then you'll remove the inner tie rods. If you are replacing them, you only have to remove one side (the rack will slide out in either direction). There is a lock washer that needs to be bent out of the way, then you'll use a 22mm wrench and a 17mm wrench to unscrew the inner tie rods from the rack. If you don't have a 22mm wrench, a 7/8" is the same size.

Next you're going to remove the rack guide screw (aka adjuster nut). It's a 14mm nut but it's surrounded by a giant 40mm lock nut. Honda has a special tool for the lock nut (P/N: 07916-SA50001), or you can use channel lock pliers. When that's out, a spring, washer and the rack guide will fall out.

At this point you will pry the pinion dust seal out (replace, Honda P/N: 53426-671-003) and remove a snap ring that holds the pinion in. Lift the pinion/bearing assembly out and then the rack will slide out of the case.

At the passenger end of the rack, there is a nylon rack end bushing. You'll want to replace this as well (Honda P/N: 53430-SH3-000). You'll probably want to hose out the empty gearbox to remove all the old grease and dirt. Use new grease on all the components before installing.

I doubt I'm going to install that quick steer setup, so what should I do to prep the rack before I install it? I already got inner and outer tie rods. I'm assuming I need that nylon rack end bushing. Should I take it apart and re-grease it? Should I replace the dust seal?

sakasaku
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I am number 1
Cause 2 is not a winner, and no one remembers third:burnout:

WTF? cocky much...lol

bigdare23
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
WTF? cocky much...lol

Text me!

bigdare23
10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
WTF? cocky much...lol

Text me!

jfrolang
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Anything more than replacing the inner tie rods involves completely disassembling the rack.

southside
10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
WTF? cocky much...lol:thinking: Once again people that dont know need to stay quiet as I walk by.If you know Lil Wayne you would know thats from a song:thinking:

sakasaku
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
:thinking: Once again people that dont know need to stay quiet as I walk by.If you know Lil Wayne you would know thats from a song:thinking:

i do not listen to little wayne, i am rap fan but i am picky i like old skool stuff when rap was rap....just my :2cents:

southside
10-01-2008, 04:39 PM
EazyE FTMFW!

jfrolang
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
This quote...

I am number 1
Cause 2 is not a winner, and no one remembers third...doesn't make any sense.

If 2 is not a winner, and no one remembers third, how is that causation for you to be number 1? Normally you become #1 by being better than #2 and 3. Also, number 1 at what? You might be #1 at counting the hairs on a cricket's ass, we don't know.

southside
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
This quote...
...doesn't make any sense.

If 2 is not a winner, and no one remembers third, how is that causation for you to be number 1? Normally you become #1 by being better than #2 and 3. Also, number 1 at what? You might be #1 at counting the hairs on a cricket's ass, we don't know.:lmfao: its funny how people think to much and end up FAILING! Dont blow a head gasket trying to figure it out.I doubt you listen to any wayne JFRO

KevinT707
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
:lmfao: its funny how people think to much and end up FAILING! Dont blow a head gasket trying to figure it out.I doubt you listen to any wayne JFRO
I thought your quote was from Nelly's song #1 .. but anywho you going to be ready to run at Commerce the 24th?

southside
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I thought your quote was from Nelly's song #1 .. but anywho you going to be ready to run at Commerce the 24th?Yea but it better not be a one run nite or imma be pissed.I was going to try to get my car running by the varsity,But my friend that just got his car running told me just take my time and do stuff right.:goodjob:

jfrolang
10-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Explain how logical thinking = failing when the alternative is a mindless consumer who takes everything at face value. Explain how questioning anything = blowing a head gasket instead of blindly conforming. I'm not going to make this into a diatribe about rap, but no, I don't listen to Wayne. I just have this wild expectation that things should make sense, and it doesn't matter whose quote it is.

Grimm Reeper
10-02-2008, 01:42 AM
:ninja: Could of been easily avoided :no:

Grimm Reeper
10-02-2008, 01:43 AM
But back on topic, I'll have that part for you homie :goodjob:

bigdare23
10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey how do you fix bump steer? I believe I have a bad case of it.

bigdare23
10-05-2008, 04:06 PM
FOUND THE PROBLEM

The damn pin came out of my driver side lower ball joint, and my castle nut loosen up to the point where it was about a thread or two away from coming off. Luckily I found it when I did.

jfrolang
10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Bump steer is an issue of geometry, caused by lowering your ride height. You can't really "fix" it unless you restore the factory ride height. The front suspension design on an EF makes bump steer exponential, so the lower you are the more of it you'll get. You just put up with it to get to the handling benefit of additional camber.

Add more caster with adjustable radius rods and you'll enhance turn-in response at the expense of rut tracking, everything has a trade off. But that's getting off topic.

EvasiveEF9
10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Just another piece of evidence that safety wire OWNS.

sakasaku
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Cauder pins safe lifes

StraightSix
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Cauder pins safe lifes

What's a cauder pin?

Oh, a cotter pin. Oh, and it should be "Cotter pins save lives." Lifes isn't a word, mate.

jfrolang
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
The period goes inside the quotation marks. :)

StraightSix
10-06-2008, 05:53 PM
The period goes inside the quotation marks. :)

Yes, it should.

sakasaku
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
wow i suck at life, why don't i just fall in a hole a and die huh?

Grimm Reeper
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
wow i suck at life, why don't i just fall in a hole a and die huh?

Dude, don't stress it. It's only the internet! :D

bigdare23
10-06-2008, 11:29 PM
LOL