PDA

View Full Version : D40, A200, or other?

mushroom_toy
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Well I feel this belongs in here.

Well guys finally getting ready to drop some coin on a nice camera/setup since my other camera fell off my bike, and I just want some opinions.

Im probably gonna have in the neighborhood of $450-600 to spend and would like to find out what some of you think a good camera would be. I would love to spend less on a used dslr but I havent been able to find any decent deals yet.

I was originally gonna go with the D40 because of course I know its a good camera, and seems to be very dependable with everyone I talked to.

But...Im a major Sony fan and since I do believe in brand loyalty sometimes I was wondering what everyone though ot the Alpha A200?

Also any other good cameras form Olympus, Pentax, or Canon in this range, and what do yall think will be the best deal for the money.

blondebabe36
09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Canon Rebel XT or XTi is good. But you should take a look at KEH.com, good used camera & accessories website

mushroom_toy
09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks Ill check it out.

jennnay
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Really, they're all about the same to me. Each have their pros and cons. For a starter kit around that price I would recommend either the Nikon D40x or the Canon Digital Rebel XSi.

I wouldn't go for the Sony DSLRs. Even though their point and shoot are nice, their DSLRs tend to have the same faulty image sensor that the Minoltas had. You'd think they'd learn the first time.

87 Turbo II
09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
I am largely against the entry level Nikons. I highly advise against the D40 but I'll get flamed and called a Canon fanboy. I have my reasons and I've posted it on photography forums many times.

Long story short, for entry level, an older Canon Rebel Xt is cheap, Sony A100 or A200, and Pentax K100D Super are all great cameras. If I didn't shoot Canon, I'd shoot Pentax. GREAT and underappreciated cameras.

Terror
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I am largely against the entry level Nikons. I highly advise against the D40 but I'll get flamed and called a Canon fanboy. I have my reasons and I've posted it on photography forums many times.

Long story short, for entry level, an older Canon Rebel Xt is cheap, Sony A100 or A200, and Pentax K100D Super are all great cameras. If I didn't shoot Canon, I'd shoot Pentax. GREAT and underappreciated cameras.

Ive used canon and Nikon, im a HUGE Nikon fan, easy use, great features, software and support. NIKON FTW!

Random Hero
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Ive used canon and Nikon, im a HUGE Nikon fan, easy use, great features, software and support. NIKON FTW!

I'm with ya 100% Mo...

I love my Nikon D50 and just recently got somewhat familiar with it.

Nikon FTW...

87 Turbo II
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
-Nikons=nice

-Nikon entry level cameras sans D50= horrible trick to the consumer.

Nikon on a budget FTL

No screw drive inside the D40, D40X, & D60. Well, you saved $100 on the camera body, but now you'll have to buy all the new AF-S lenses that each cost $100 to $150 more than their older counterparts if you want AF. What kind of manufacturer would make the camera not compatible with all of it's lenses?

In short that's why I HIGHLY advise AGAINST purchasing a D40, D40X or D60. If you want to expand later, the lenses will cost more, or they might have even not made the lens you want in AF-S.

mushroom_toy
09-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Yeah I have a Pentax 35mm and its never let me down great camera and great quality pictures.

Im leaning towards the A200. Some have said its not the best, but since I have been buying sony products I have never bought one I didnt like, and I think this would be the same. Seems like not many people shoot with the a200 so i guess that might be another reason I would like to try it.

I guess it kind of depends on whats is the cheapest at the moment.

WalkS
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Well Im new to the DSLR world and I did purchase the D40. I like it, within my budget and takes amazing photos to my standards. Just my opinion.

87 Turbo II
09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah I have a Pentax 35mm and its never let me down great camera and great quality pictures.

Im leaning towards the A200. Some have said its not the best, but since I have been buying sony products I have never bought one I didnt like, and I think this would be the same. Seems like not many people shoot with the a200 so i guess that might be another reason I would like to try it.

I guess it kind of depends on whats is the cheapest at the moment.
dude DEFINITELY go Pentax. Your 35mm Pentax lenses will work with the DSLR.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542045-REG/Pentax_19554_K200D_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

shake reduction
dust sealed
uses all Pentax lenses in the last 53 years (with adapters)
10 Megapixels
3 fps burst

doooooo eeeeet

Nemesis
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
oh god.... must resist posting for it will take too long

Nemesis
09-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Anyone born in 1990 or the 90s at all dont count as having an opinion that should be trusted :)

87 Turbo II
09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone born in 1990 or the 90s at all dont count as having an opinion that should be trusted :)
umm yeah, the fact that the Nikon D40 doesn't autofocus with all of Nikon's lenses is a fact.

Maybe you don't like my opinions because I learned everything from this photography forum, apparently full of people who disagree with you.

First reply
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136739&highlight=d40

Oh look problems the D40 is creating for its potential buyer:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133513&highlight=d40

All taken from threads on the forum.

i will agree with D40 on what he (or she) said, the lack of a AF Motor is deffinatley not great if you want to use other lens. Actually its the lack of AF motor that caused me to buy a D50 today actually. I do photography for work though, so I needed the functions that the D50 provide that the D40 didnt have. HOWEVER I still will use my d40... I like the option of having 2 bodies, that way i can put a zoom lens on one body and a portrait lens on the d40.

While the Nikon D40 is cheap, it has a few drawbacks.

1) A CCD sensor which produces a lot of noise at higher ISOs; and
2) It will not focus all Nikkor lenses.

For a little more money, you can get a Canon which not only accepts all Canon lenses but all Canons use CMOS sensors, similar technology as Nikon and Canon's professional line of cameras. Only Nikon's D3, D300 and D2X use CMOS sensors.

Photography is all about the final image and the less expensive Canons have better Image Quality at higher ISOs and in the shadows.

atlantamx3
09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I will say that I have shot over 20K pics with my a100 since December of 2006 and I love it.

The a350 is the one to have, but the a200 is decent for a barebones entry level camera. It will do everything you want it to.

However, if you have a Pentax already, I say get the Pentax. Do you have lenses for it?

Nemesis
09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
umm yeah, the fact that the Nikon D40 doesn't autofocus with all of Nikon's lenses is a fact.

Maybe you don't like my opinions because I learned everything from this photography forum, apparently full of people who disagree with you.

First reply

lol looks like you got hurt kiddo, take a joke. Quote web forums all day long. I have nothing to prove to anyone :) Been there, done that.

mp5o
09-23-2008, 10:33 PM

First reply

Yes, it is true that many nikon AF-s lenses have a problem with auto focusing, but that doesn't mean they "lack" an AF motor. From working at a camera repair shop I can say that we see many nikon lenses coming in with that problem (many the 18-55 kit lens) but I also see canon lenses come in with the same problem.

dude DEFINITELY go Pentax. Your 35mm Pentax lenses will work with the DSLR.

No manual lens will work on a DSLR body. The pentax manual 35mm lenses FIT on the digital body but the problem is, you can't get them off. :no:

87 Turbo II
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes, it is true that many nikon AF-s lenses have a problem with auto focusing, but that doesn't mean they "lack" an AF motor. From working at a camera repair shop I can say that we see many nikon lenses coming in with that problem (many the 18-55 kit lens) but I also see canon lenses come in with the same problem.

But the D40 does lack the internal autofocus motor causing you to buy the lenses with them built in which costs more. All Canon DSLRS have lenses with them built in but they'vebeen in production since 1986 so you have a lot of cheaper options.

No manual lens will work on a DSLR body. The pentax manual 35mm lenses FIT on the digital body but the problem is, you can't get them off. :no:

Then why would Pentax advertise that allof their lenses fit AND work?

Type/construction - PENTAX KAF3 bayonet stainless steel mount; Usable lenses - PENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF, and KA (K mount, 35mm screwmount, 645/67 med format useable w/ adapter and/or restrictions); SDM function - YES; Power zoom function - n/a

speedminded
09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Well I feel this belongs in here.

Well guys finally getting ready to drop some coin on a nice camera/setup since my other camera fell off my bike, and I just want some opinions.

Im probably gonna have in the neighborhood of $450-600 to spend and would like to find out what some of you think a good camera would be. I would love to spend less on a used dslr but I havent been able to find any decent deals yet.

I was originally gonna go with the D40 because of course I know its a good camera, and seems to be very dependable with everyone I talked to.

But...Im a major Sony fan and since I do believe in brand loyalty sometimes I was wondering what everyone though ot the Alpha A200?

Also any other good cameras form Olympus, Pentax, or Canon in this range, and what do yall think will be the best deal for the money.Look at the prices of lenses and that may narrow the decision down considerably....

jennnay
09-24-2008, 12:15 PM
But the D40 does lack the internal autofocus motor causing you to buy the lenses with them built in which costs more. All Canon DSLRS have lenses with them built in but they'vebeen in production since 1986 so you have a lot of cheaper options.

Then why would Pentax advertise that allof their lenses fit AND work?

Type/construction - PENTAX KAF3 bayonet stainless steel mount; Usable lenses - PENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF, and KA (K mount, 35mm screwmount, 645/67 med format useable w/ adapter and/or restrictions); SDM function - YES; Power zoom function - n/a

Yes, the CAMERA lacks a coupling gear that drive the AF lenses in/out. but the AF-S LENSES all have gears. I was talking about the lenses. But yeah, the D40, D40x and D60(i think) do not have that coupling so you have to use a AF-s lens. The D50 and above have the coupling so you can use AF lenses.

For the pentax lenses, you're right the last batch of manual lenses that were made in the 70's will manual focus on DSLRS. but any before that will not.