PDA

View Full Version : spent a weekend at road atlanta

HiPSI
09-22-2008, 06:32 PM
i went and did the BMWCCA HPDE event this past weekend and had a blast. this was only my second trackday ever in a car and i managed to get signed off for running solo by the end of the weekend. my instructor kicked ass and was very good with his input and instructions. i know i still have a long way to go, but i did exceed my original goals for the weekend so i'm happy. anyone who hasn't tried it needs to save up some cash and give it a shot. it's amazing what you'll find out you and your car can do given the proper opportunity.

i think i'm going to invest in some more aggressive pads than the HP+ before the next one, i was lifting super early on the back straight because the brakes would fade pretty bad into 10 when i stayed in it. in the video i was running about 145 then lifting and braking at about 120-125mph just before the 100' mark. the one time i stayed in it i was around 155 into the braking zone and i barely got through the turn without some drift action. i also need to throw in a shift to 5th before 12 because as i got more confident with it i was running out of gear about halfway down the front straight (amazing the difference from the start of the weekend).

some video from sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOAxAcI0Azs

mike's02ls1
09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice video Erin! So hows the car running? I got my first boosted car..

HiPSI
09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice video Erin! So hows the car running? I got my first boosted car..

car is running good. spent all weekend passing zee germans other than giving an instructor in a GT3 the point ;)

i heard about the volvo you got. i was talking to David (drove the maroon ranger in high school, hell if i can remember his last name at the moment) at the track and he mentioned you had a few of them now.

EJ25RUN
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
That's amazing how your shifting twice in a lap. Did i count right?

HiPSI
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
That's amazing how your shifting twice in a lap. Did i count right?

correct, up to 5th on the back straight, down to 4th into 10. lots of torque and a fairly light car makes it possible. i probably need to go back to 5th over the hill before 12 and back to 4th into 1 because as i gained confidence with running hard through 12 i went from hitting the limiter at the braking zone to hitting it half way down the straight.

4dmin
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
thats pretty sweet - i've wanted to do this for a while

dazn
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
correct, up to 5th on the back straight, down to 4th into 10. lots of torque and a fairly light car makes it possible. i probably need to go back to 5th over the hill before 12 and back to 4th into 1 because as i gained confidence with running hard through 12 i went from hitting the limiter at the braking zone to hitting it half way down the straight.

hahaha, i thought so... thats crazy, i bet that car is fun as hell to drive.
race pads will help, some good high temp fluid is a must, and braided stainless lines. you may want to consider adding some brake ducting too. I would paint the rotors or get some heat stickers and then find the right pads/rotor/fluid combo and then adjust brake ducting from there.

jumpin800agl
09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice run. I want to do something like this. What kind of car were you driving?

nsany(atl)
09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
what is your setup? motor wise, suspension, ect...

HiPSI
09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
hahaha, i thought so... thats crazy, i bet that car is fun as hell to drive.
race pads will help, some good high temp fluid is a must, and braided stainless lines. you may want to consider adding some brake ducting too. I would paint the rotors or get some heat stickers and then find the right pads/rotor/fluid combo and then adjust brake ducting from there.

all stainless lines on my car, Z32 rear brakes with auto store pads, Z32 front calipers with 350z brembo rotors and adapter brackets HP+ pads... super blue fluid. i think some more aggressive pads and me not being a ***** would be the biggest change, lol.

Big Baller
09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice 1:43 is pretty respectable especially for a newbie....lol

Skip the HP+ they suck and you will fade them almost as fast as stock pads, try Carbotech XP10s in the front and XP8s in the rear.

Matt

Give me a ring if you have any setup questions...especially brakes...I'm pretty good with that.

HiPSI
09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
what is your setup? motor wise, suspension, ect...

ls1/t56 swap, tein HE coils, random ebay adjustable suspension parts, kaaz 2 way, brake setup i just posted, car is mostly stripped other than the dash weight is somewhere around 25-2600lbs.

AznTraitor
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
fyi erin, I slowed the video down...and "zee germans" weren't waving you to pass, they were giving you the finger! haha....so leaving drifting for road racing are we?

HiPSI
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
fyi erin, I slowed the video down...and "zee germans" weren't waving you to pass, they were giving you the finger! haha....so leaving drifting for road racing are we?

not leaving anything, just finding more ways to break **** and spend money.

Elbow
09-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Use the curbing in 5!!

AznTraitor
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
not leaving anything, just finding more ways to break **** and spend money.

ahhh, well then....continue!

dazn
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice 1:43 is pretty respectable especially for a newbie....lol

Skip the HP+ they suck and you will fade them almost as fast as stock pads, try Carbotech XP10s in the front and XP8s in the rear.

Matt

Give me a ring if you have any setup questions...especially brakes...I'm pretty good with that.

1:43 isnt bad, thats a fast spec miata/ITA time. Carbos are definitely a great pad. good service too. a shop I used to work for did a brake test between several different manufacturers and Carbotech had reps on hand to help us dial in compound that we needed.

matthewAPM
09-24-2008, 01:34 AM
1:43 isnt bad, thats a fast spec miata/ITA time. Carbos are definitely a great pad. good service too. a shop I used to work for did a brake test between several different manufacturers and Carbotech had reps on hand to help us dial in compound that we needed.

The SM record is 1.42.XXX.

If you ask me, go with a hawk HT-10. Im running these on my car, as well as all the other ITS and ITR cars and we all love them.

But from watching the video, I can see a few things. Im not trying to hate, just a few pointers....

T1 you need to go in a little harder and brake earlier, lift and get a little slip angle and get back on it before your ever into the corner then let the car track out. T3...USE THE CURBING! whats more fun then jumping apex curbs?? You can run pretty much flat (depending on car and tires) in the esses. When you are coming to T5, brake earlier, and get back on the gas before the corner. You will gain a ton of speed on the straight to T6. One thing I try to get people to do is to brake on that left hander in the esses then get on it and see the difference on the straight then slowly move up until you are braking right before the curbing on your right then on it before the corner. In T6 you can brake a little deeper and carry a little more speed. Apex later into 10A and really get on it at the apex at 10B and let the car track out to the curbing. *AT THE BRIDGE* (this is for everyone), there is a yellow dashed line going under the bridge (for the pits). Your body....AKA the driver of the car/ your ass, should be going over that with the wheel straight and NOT LIFT. the car will come right where you need to be and apex late and keep in it. thats pretty much all i can see without being in the car or telling you in person. All in all, pretty good for your second time. Cant wait to see it out there in person!:goodjob:

PM me if you have any Q's about what was said.

NevrNufTorq
09-24-2008, 08:52 AM
glad you had a good time bro!!! nice vid! :D

HiPSI
09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
The SM record is 1.42.XXX.

If you ask me, go with a hawk HT-10. Im running these on my car, as well as all the other ITS and ITR cars and we all love them.

But from watching the video, I can see a few things. Im not trying to hate, just a few pointers....

T1 you need to go in a little harder and brake earlier, lift and get a little slip angle and get back on it before your ever into the corner then let the car track out. T3...USE THE CURBING! whats more fun then jumping apex curbs?? You can run pretty much flat (depending on car and tires) in the esses. When you are coming to T5, brake earlier, and get back on the gas before the corner. You will gain a ton of speed on the straight to T6. One thing I try to get people to do is to brake on that left hander in the esses then get on it and see the difference on the straight then slowly move up until you are braking right before the curbing on your right then on it before the corner. In T6 you can brake a little deeper and carry a little more speed. Apex later into 10A and really get on it at the apex at 10B and let the car track out to the curbing. *AT THE BRIDGE* (this is for everyone), there is a yellow dashed line going under the bridge (for the pits). Your body....AKA the driver of the car/ your ass, should be going over that with the wheel straight and NOT LIFT. the car will come right where you need to be and apex late and keep in it. thats pretty much all i can see without being in the car or telling you in person. All in all, pretty good for your second time. Cant wait to see it out there in person!:goodjob:

PM me if you have any Q's about what was said.

i see what you're saying on all points. i was mainly following my instructor's line as this was my first chance to run solo. as i get some more seat time i'll undoubtedly get more comfortable and be able to push harder.

StraightSix
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the addiction. It never gets old driving fast at the track.

i see what you're saying on all points. i was mainly following my instructor's line as this was my first chance to run solo. as i get some more seat time i'll undoubtedly get more comfortable and be able to push harder.

I've driven Road Atlanta a couple of times, as well as other tracks, and still don't quite have the cajones to go as deep into 10a as I could. It takes time to work up to getting some of the corners at Road Atlanta, so I think you did fine for your first time out.

mike's02ls1
11-28-2008, 09:48 PM
car is running good. spent all weekend passing zee germans other than giving an instructor in a GT3 the point ;)

i heard about the volvo you got. i was talking to David (drove the maroon ranger in high school, hell if i can remember his last name at the moment) at the track and he mentioned you had a few of them now.David Kidd... Yeah I have a 92 Volvo 944Ti, it has a few goodies I'm not looking for much out of it cause I want to put a 2JZ i her.

OnURleft
12-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Looking good for your second time out in that car. The line is safe and none-aggressive and your looking very smooth for such a crazy car. Looks like we are in the same run group if that number on your front windshield is correct. To bad you were on street pads because my best times have been 1:43's. I think once you get some more out of that 155mph back straight beast you'll see MUCH faster times. Driven with every ounce out of it my car will only get 135 on the back straight on race pads (but the car is 3210 with me in it). Time for me to invest in a race car and retire the DD

HiPSI
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Looking good for your second time out in that car. The line is safe and none-aggressive and your looking very smooth for such a crazy car. Looks like we are in the same run group if that number on your front windshield is correct. To bad you were on street pads because my best times have been 1:43's. I think once you get some more out of that 155mph back straight beast you'll see MUCH faster times. Driven with every ounce out of it my car will only get 135 on the back straight on race pads (but the car is 3210 with me in it). Time for me to invest in a race car and retire the DD

i was number A8. i'm sure it has a lot more in it, but i might be parting the car out soon to build something a little different. well, a different chassis at least ;). i love this drivetrain too much to let it go.