PDA

View Full Version : Do you Think you have a right to tell a Family How to deal with Abortion.....

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
BASED ON YOUR VIEWS.

Meaning

If your daughter, GF, mother, etc was raped, and got pregnant because of the rape, should someone else be able to tell you whether your choise was RIGHT or WRONG?

Or do you believe it is a FAMILY CHOICE?

AlanŽ
09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Voted.

On a seperate issue entirely. My Dad got that job I told you about :ninja:

EJ25RUN
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I still think most people that will vote no don't really act that way in real life.

I remember back in college i was in a public speaking corse and a girl did a speech against abortion. One part of the assignment was to take questions from the class and.....well she flipped out when she realized most of us were pro choice.

4dmin
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
i don't think it is a "family decision" as it is a woman's decision

Nissan Sean
09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
i think you should be able to give constructive advice...thats what i was voting towards atleast...

AirMax95
09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Personal decision with the woman and god........IF the sperm donor is a standup guy, he can join the decision table.

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Im talking about is it ok for US to JUDGE how a family handles a decision on abortion.

4dmin
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Im talking about is it ok for US to JUDGE how a family handles a decision on abortion.

"us to judge" as in opinion or Gov't have a hand in?

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 06:32 PM
If someone (like Palin) says they would choose LIFE for their particular situation in any case, do WE as a society have a right to say she is WRONG.

We may disagree with her, but should we say its WRONG.

I think the answer is NO.

AlanŽ
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree with that. Personally I believe what they do in cituations like that are none of our business and its not our place to judge them. they want to keep it, abort it, that's their choice.

The only time I believe we have some kind of right to frown upon something like that is when they ditch the baby in a dumpster or something.

4dmin
09-22-2008, 07:02 PM
If someone (like Palin) says they would choose LIFE for their particular situation in any case, do WE as a society have a right to say she is WRONG.

I think the answer is NO.well its pretty obvious what my answer would be b/c i feel woman should choose.

Deke
09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm so utterly confused at why there is still conversation about this. If someone is pro choice, they shouldn't give a flying **** what a family or an individual does. If someone is pro life then they're going to look down upon a family or individual that wants an abortion.

What is your point? Why did this non-topic get another separate thread?

As another pro choicer (like every person who has chimed in on the multiple threads so far) she can do whatever the hell she wants with her own life. As long as she's not forcing those views upon someone else or being a hypocrite, who cares?

I'm just failing to see who you are arguing with. Because no one posting has disagreed with you.

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
As another pro choicer (like every person who has chimed in on the multiple threads so far) she can do whatever the hell she wants with her own life. As long as she's not forcing those views upon someone else or being a hypocrite, who cares?

I'm just failing to see who you are arguing with. Because no one posting has disagreed with you.

I was just seeing why there is all this backlash against her answer.

People were acting like she was going to make it policy, when we all agree what she agrees do do in her family, is her business.

joecoolfreak
09-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Because she does want to make it policy. She isn't running on a campaign based around it but the McCain camp has specified that it is their intent to overturn Roe V Wade. If they are going to remove the federal protection for pro-choice that exists in the status quo, don't you think that opens up the opportunity to put in legislation that prevents a woman from having the right to choose what she does with it?

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Because she does want to make it policy. She isn't running on a campaign based around it but the McCain camp has specified that it is their intent to overturn Roe V Wade. If they are going to remove the federal protection for pro-choice that exists in the status quo, don't you think that opens up the opportunity to put in legislation that prevents a woman from having the right to choose what she does with it?
Really? where?

McCain has been the focus of conservative wrath following comments made to The Chronicle's editorial board last week about overturning Roe vs. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion.

``I'd love to see a point where it is irrelevant and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary,'' McCain told The Chronicle then. ``But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe vs. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to (undergo) illegal and dangerous operations.''

AlanŽ
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Really? where?

Here

John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as president he will nominate judges who understand that courts should not be in the business of legislating from the bench.

Constitutional balance would be restored by the reversal of Roe v. Wade, returning the abortion question to the individual states. The difficult issue of abortion should not be decided by judicial fiat

It goes on here:http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm

1 thing I definitely disagree with.

joecoolfreak
09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Really? where?

I had a feeling you would ask that, so:

Source:McCain's Own Website (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm)

John McCain believes Roe v. Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as president he will nominate judges who understand that courts should not be in the business of legislating from the bench

EDIT: oops, Red even beat me on this one

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes but when pressed he says that it will not be in the SHORT term nor while he is president if he should get in.

He is not the first possible president to be PRO LIFE.

Im PRO CHOICE so i disagree with him, buti dont think its something we need to be scared about him enacting the day he is in office. And lets face it, FEW judges are going to repeal Roe v Wade

AlanŽ
09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes but when pressed he says that it will not be in the SHORT term nor while he is president if he should get in.

He is not the first possible president to be PRO LIFE.

Im PRO CHOICE so i disagree with him, buti dont think its something we need to be scared about him enacting the day he is in office. And lets face it, FEW judges are going to repeal Roe v Wade
Agreed. I really don't think that it will ever be repealed. At least not in our lifetime.

joecoolfreak
09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
That I completely disagree with. He doesn't get to pick the timing. He replaces judges as he has the opportunity and as soon as a spot opens up, you can guarantee that he will put someone in that will support the reversal in position. Bush has already had the opportunity to replace judges and has done so with people that are pro-life. The votes are nearly split at the moment by most analysis and it will only take one more swap to change the decision to the reverse of what it is now. I would say it's highly likely that in the next four years, we will have to replace at least one, so you can pretty much bet on the fact that if McCain does win, we will see the end of Roe V Wade in the next four years. That worries me greatly.

joecoolfreak
09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
btw...there are already 4 strong pro-life judges that have said they will vote to reverse on the supreme court as we speak. With already having 1 "swing" judge, it looks possible with the current set. With one more pro-life appointment, you all will see a big change. At least the four that are already on record have absolutely no qualms about reversing the current decision.

Vteckidd
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
i think you are being dramatic, even with a PRO LIFE panel, its just not something feasible right now

joecoolfreak
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
To be honest, I wasn't worried at all until McCain chose Palin. I do think that she was chosen in part to pull support from the farther right side and she is very outspoken about this particular issue. Not only that, she is much farther on the right side than even McCain. I think she will have influence, but even worse, if something happens to McCain, there is absolutely no doubt what I think she would do. It is easy to say that it isn't likely and the majority of the country would agree that the likelyhood of a reversal is small, but I would hate to tell anyone that I told you so on this issue.

AirMax95
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Agreed.....its not up to US.

4dmin
09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
even a remote chance to over turn this would be taking a step back here in the USA... i guess supporters of such would rather see women in back alleys discarding coat hangers and fetus's in dumpster ;)

Total_Blender
09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
The woman should definitely be able to choose. The family should not be able to deny her the right.

To use the Palins as an example, it should be BRISTOL's choice, not her FAMILY's choice because of their politics. I feel bad for her because if she did choose to have one it would basically undermine her mothers whole platform. Its too bad she's a pawn in the game.

Nissan Sean
09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
can i change my vote? please...

4dmin
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
can i change my vote? please...

sorry man need to read more carefully... i know mike tried to trick us w/ his thread/poll titles