PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tax Cut at Midnight.....

Brett
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Starting at midnight, Georgia drivers will be exempt from paying the state motor fuel tax, Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue announced Friday. The moratorium should save motorists more than 15 cents per gallon and will continue through September.

Gov. Perdue said he will sign an executive order to remove the 7.5-cents-a-gallon excise tax and the 4 percent sales tax on purchases at the pump. He said that even before Katrina and the subsequent run on gasoline, the state had already been collecting more than enough gas taxes for the current budget.

"By temporarily suspending fuel tax collection, I want to relieve some of the financial burden placed on Georgians by disruptions in our fuel supply resulting from the effects of Hurricane Katrina," Perdue said during a Friday news conference.

Rising gas prices prompted by the disruption of two pipelines that carry fuel into Georgia caused a run at gas stations earlier in the week. That, combined with false rumors that the governor would ration gasoline and shut down gas stations, caused a panic by drivers on Wednesday.

Motorists spilled out of gas stations, many of which ran out of fuel. Other stations quickly pushed up gas prices, to which the governor signed an executive order that froze the price of gas. The Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs is investigating claims of price gouging.

"As we take this action, let me be very clear. I expect this tax moratorium to be passed on to consumers and Georgia citizens who drive. We will be watching and we trust that our dealers will respect that and pass along this more than 15-cents per gallon savings to their customers each and every day."

Because the moratorium must be ratified by the General Assembly, the governor is calling back legislators for a special session starting on Tuesday. He encouraged Georgians to consider their problems from Katrina compared with those of the people who live in Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

"I encourage every Georgian to do what you can. Give to the Red Cross, be extra conservative in your utilization of gasoline for a little while, and reach out to our friends and neighbors in need."

A.P. Photography
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Got to give it to Sonny, at least he is trying. :goodjob:

ahmonrah
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
kool

Cliff
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
He is a friggin awesome gov....spoke to him at my school when they landed the helicopter on our school football field so that he could be present for a funeral in conyers

trythefly
09-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Awesome job dealing with the gas craze I think.

HiPSI
09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
it's great that he's helping the issues, but i guarantee everyone will bitch and whine when he puts the gas tax back in place after things stabilize.

trythefly
09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
it's great that he's helping the issues, but i guarantee everyone will bitch and whine when he puts the gas tax back in place after things stabilize.

I'm sure they will.

Brett
09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Add that and the fact that once the supply issue is done this weekend gas prices should drop even mnore, so atleast he cares enough to act on it, no other state is doing this.

Kevykev
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Very nice!

Leisa
09-02-2005, 12:16 PM
very nice indeed

DonGori
09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
that is a very good move on his part, maybe other states will follow his actions and help us all out

Julio
09-02-2005, 03:15 PM
That will not do shit. The supply and demand is still there. barrells are not getting cheaper right at this moment.

Gas prices will still be moving over the $3 mark.. by some company's.

Good move on his part.. but it wont do much. unfortunatly.

ISAtlanta300
09-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Bravo..

Bow-wow...

ProjectWidow
09-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Got to give it to Sonny, at least he is trying. :goodjob:
i concur!

Brett
09-02-2005, 03:19 PM
That will not do shit. The supply and demand is still there. barrells are not getting cheaper right at this moment.

Gas prices will still be moving over the $3 mark.. by some company's.

Good move on his part.. but it wont do much. unfortunatly.

As supply gets back to full strength it may though in a week or so

A.P. Photography
09-02-2005, 03:25 PM
As supply gets back to full strength it may though in a week or so
I doubt it will come back down until the rigs are back up and the refineries back online.

Julio
09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I will GARANTEE you guys.. gas will still be over $3.00 bucks.

Bishop
09-02-2005, 03:27 PM
well i know what im doing at 12:00 tonight...

Brett
09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Atleast the man is trying to help us save some money, atleast he cares

Julio
09-02-2005, 03:31 PM
AS BUSH HATERS WOULD SAY

" FUCK THE PURDUE FATSOE HE SHOULDVE DONE THIS A YEAR AGO"

svbproductions
09-02-2005, 03:31 PM
At least he is trying something

Julio
09-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Fuck it, I give up... People are blaming bush.. But are praising this guy for cutting of a few cents of gas.

Oxymoron.

lol

IF I WAS BUSH I WOULD SAY.. OK ALL GEORGIAN HAVE TO PAY THAT EXTRA 20 cents ON GAS TO HELP NEW ORLEANS.