PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

topsecret2JZ
09-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Ok so i want to paint my valve cover but it has some ****ty black paint on it right now, what is the best and easy way to get the old paint off. And also what exactly is the best way of preping it to paint it, I am using a spray gun to paint it with with some car paint that i have, but i wanted to make sure i got all of the old paint off so when i paint it it all loos smoot, reps to whoever halps me out, thanks

flak_monkey
09-21-2008, 03:34 PM
i'd say take the valve covers off and sand blast them, then was them in a chemical bath to get rid of all the crap. Oh yeah you only have one VC, sorry. I hang out on camaro forums cuz that's what I have. LOL.
Blast your VC. Make sure that the paint you have will hold up to the heat under your hood and not discolor or something. Some paint gets funky when it's too hot.

FasTech
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I bought some Purple Power and a soft wire brush and got to work... Mine came clean really easy but their was still some spots I couldn't get and the wire brush didn't scratch it at all! But it wasn't a hard wire brush, then my buddy gave me some fine sand paper and I sanded it down by hand and recleaned it with Purple Power then painted it! When I sanded it, those spots that didn't come off with the wire brush came right off.