PDA

View Full Version : oppions on port n polish (attempt #2)

loSiRcity
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
so i was talking to a machine shop about getting some stuff done to a motor I'm building and mentioned that i wanted to go with port and polishing. he told me since it was going to be a street car, port and polishing the head would be pretty much pointless due to future carbon build up. so basically i would have my money's worth for a little while but then the job would lose it's effectiveness. this makes a lot of sense to me, even though you can obtain a good amount of power from the job what's the point if it'll go away? so i just wanted to see what y'all think. and has anyone other then that guy seen this?

Tech5
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
do you even know what port N polish means? I am guessing your machine shop doesnt, nor you...Do some research an you will understand my statement.

I have a Street car has about 80K miles on build an still dyno'ed the same horsepower as it was @ 40 K miles with port n polish head!

I think you need to go to someone else, other then a redneck shade tree machine shop your using

jew_boy
09-19-2008, 09:35 PM
do you even know what port N polish means? I am guessing your machine shop doesnt, nor you...Do some research an you will understand my statement.

I have a Street car has about 80K miles on build an still dyno'ed the same horsepower as it was @ 40 K miles with port n polish head!

I think you need to go to someone else, other then a redneck shade tree machine shop your using

QFT :D

redrumracer
09-19-2008, 09:37 PM
ok so i see we need some grammar police hear, its opinions not oppions.

but anywayz what they said.

loSiRcity
09-19-2008, 09:42 PM

just asking a question lol no need to be a ****. any ways yes i do know what a port and polish is and i had my fight for both sides of the story that's why i would like opinions. you know like to see what people think? not necessarily to be right or wrong but i appreciate the input

Tech5
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
ok so i see we need some grammar police hear, its opinions not oppions.

but anywayz what they said.

loSiRcity
me no good at typing sory

Tech5
09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Not being a **** just being honest, if you like me to lie I can do that too if that makes you happy? Just lmk I can do either or....

So thats my Opinion that I gave you so if thats mean then shoot me!

Oh one more thing, if you knew exactly what Port N polish meant, you would have not ask these questions, an you would have told that Guy at that Machine (shadetree) shop that he was full of shltt..We are not talking about cleaning your egr ports, an gaining power an then they clog back up which they do..

just asking a question lol no need to be a ****. any ways yes i do know what a port and polish is and i had my fight for both sides of the story that's why i would like opinions. you know like to see what people think? not necessarily to be right or wrong but i appreciate the input

redrumracer
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
do you like my mistakes? i surely did.

Tech5
09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
do you like my mistakes? i surely did.

loSiRcity
09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
my bad dude lol i wasn't trying to start anything. so now that there seems to be much confirmation on this guy (or as you say "shadetree") as being full of it, who would you recommend for good work and knows what they are talking about? something around gwinnett?

redrumracer
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
my bad dude lol i wasn't trying to start anything. so now that there seems to be much confirmation on this guy (or as you say "shadetree") as being full of it, who would you recommend for good work and knows what they are talking about? something around gwinnett?
i wouldnt have a clue, but i would say go to the dragstrip and ask some of the fast/competitive racers out there who they go to.

Tech5
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Well I don't know or trust anyone up in that area, someone else can chime in on that...But a Real Good Port N polisher will tell you , its a ART even after 1,000's of heads done you still dont have it down like a Mad science..It takes skill an patiance to make it happen, but most Performance shops can do this for you,,,, I got mine done off line, I shipped them My head an they shipped it back! an they warranty there workmanship too......So find someone that knows there shltt, if you dont they can fuk it up for you very easy!!!!

joshk5145
09-19-2008, 10:42 PM
i was thinkin about doing this also and was wondering about how much a normal port and polish was. if i get my head ported should i also get my intake mani and throttle body ported to match? not tryin to mess up his post i'm just curious. i have a f22b2 (sohc non vtec). thanks for any info.......

Vteckidd
09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
so i was talking to a machine shop about getting some stuff done to a motor I'm building and mentioned that i wanted to go with port and polishing. he told me since it was going to be a street car, port and polishing the head would be pretty much pointless due to future carbon build up. so basically i would have my money's worth for a little while but then the job would lose it's effectiveness. this makes a lot of sense to me, even though you can obtain a good amount of power from the job what's the point if it'll go away? so i just wanted to see what y'all think. and has anyone other then that guy seen this?

Ehhh hes half right half wrong. The head actually stays really clean, carbon build up comes on the back of the valves.

While it is possible for the intake manifold to get dirty and gummed up, it takes ALOT OF TIME and ALOT OF OIL for it to get to the point that it would diminish gains.

Plus the exhaust side is so hot, deposits take along time to build up and again, it kinda negates an loss in power you MIGHT see.

To be honest any street car a Port job is worthless. If you are staying ALL MOTOR (im assuming this is some type of honda( stock heads can make 190whp easily.

Most guys dont come within 10 whp of that so porting is just wasting your money IMO

Vteckidd
09-20-2008, 12:02 AM
i was thinkin about doing this also and was wondering about how much a normal port and polish was. if i get my head ported should i also get my intake mani and throttle body ported to match? not tryin to mess up his post i'm just curious. i have a f22b2 (sohc non vtec). thanks for any info.......
Gains on a SOHC will be non existent. You are betting off spending the money on a Header or tuning that porting a head

Besides the F and H heads flow really well, youll never push the bottom end far enough that the head wont flow enough.

loSiRcity
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
so even if the gain i get doesn't go away its still pointless due to the fact that its going to be a small one in the first place. got it. BTW I'll be running a turbo not all motor if that changes anything. I'm looking for 300 to the wheels and I'm trying not to use the turbo for every gain I get. Just wanting to make the motor its self more efficient.

loSiRcity
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
its a d16a6 just to throw that out there

Tech5
09-20-2008, 05:42 PM
its a d16a6 just to throw that out there
In your case its a waste of money, unless your boosting your car for power then leave it alone, you will not gain nothing but better throttle responce...save your money for something bigger an better..Buy yourself some Altezza lights or neons :thinking: I kid I kid.

Barefoot
09-20-2008, 06:03 PM
save your money for something bigger an better..Buy yourself some Altezza lights or neons :thinking: I kid I kid.:cheers:

loSiRcity
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Buy yourself some Altezza lights or neons :thinking: I kid I kid.

:blah: :lmfao:

lol nice shot