PDA

View Full Version : Well I pulled the Head...

Slomaro Z28
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a 95 Z28 LT1, car had a bolt broken off in the head when I bought it but was sealed by the gasket. I put headers on the car and the new gasket wouldn't seal, I tried alot of things to fix this but none worked. So today I pulled the head off. (pics later) I got it off and looked to see if the bolt would be pretty easy to get out, then checked my valves, well the exhaust valve for the one that was leaking is white as can be. All the other valves look great, should I replace this one valve or go ahead and do them all?

slostang
09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
just do them all while you're at it. save yourself some time and money in the future.

Init2winit
09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
That valve is white because of the exhaust leak. No need in replacing it unless it burnt, which may be possible if you had a leak long enough. Just pull the valve out of the head and inspect the seat and valve surface. Most likely, you can just put the head back on and roll with it.

Slomaro Z28
09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
That involves draing and pulling the power steering pump, to get the other head off....looks pretty hard.

Slomaro Z28
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
That valve is white because of the exhaust leak. No need in replacing it unless it burnt, which may be possible if you had a leak long enough. Just pull the valve out of the head and inspect the seat and valve surface. Most likely, you can just put the head back on and roll with it.

Hope so, I drove it leaking maybe 2 months. With as warm as the weather has been I didn't figure it would burn.

Init2winit
09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Its probably fine. I wouldn't even pull the other head off unless there is some sort of problem. Just fix your bolt, and put it back together.

Turbodude06
09-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Its probably fine. I wouldn't even pull the other head off unless there is some sort of problem. Just fix your bolt, and put it back together.

x2:goodjob:

03RCode
09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
It should be fine, when you have a leak like that it will cause the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder to look like that. No longer than you ran it with it leaking I'm almost 100% positive youll be ok.

Slomaro Z28
10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Got the head back on the car, it had 3 helicoils put in it, Tommy Goza said it looked like it was rebuilt recently, the one I knew needed work had the bolt broken off but it was in 3 pieces. Waiting to get my intake manifold back, having it blasted and cleaned, it was VERY nasty, with alot of gunk and build up.....I'll post pics when I get the camera fixed. Should run alot better and sound good without the exhaust leak.