PDA

View Full Version : Any RNs out there?

The_ CaneCorso
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I have been thinking of being a nurse for a LONG time. I am 28 and is time to get in a career. I would be starting from scratch. Has anyone done it or in the process. What does it take about 3 years? Also any good online schools for this?

Nateds16
09-21-2008, 05:28 AM
it takes about 6 to 8 years my aunt just got done with it and if you want to get it done much faster and make more money do the army then your school is payied for then you become a nurse in the army then when yu get out you in and you owe no money then it looks better when you get a job im doing it for police and emt in the army

drpepper14
09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
6 to 8 years?!?!? My wife finished school and got her Bachelor's of Science in Nursing in 3.5 years TOTAL from Kennesaw State...that is undergraduate coursework and nursing school combined, and if you already have a bachelor's degree you can get into an quicker program that only lasts 2 years.

Most hospitals now look for a BSN instead of an associates degree, and even if they do hire you, they will not promote you until you have your BSN or master's degree.

Also, in order to get into most programs for your BSN you have to have a killer GPA, pass an exam, and an interview. There are people with perfect 4.0's @ KSU that do not get into the program.

The_ CaneCorso
09-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Most programs?

drpepper14
09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
yeah a lot of programs, at least here in georgia, are extremely competitive. KSU for example has at least 1000 applicants a semester and at most they accept 75, all of which at this point have 3.9-4.0 gpa's.

There are no online courses to receive your BSN, but you can get an associate's degree in nursing which would qualify you to take the NCLEX (nursing boards exam), but like I said earlier, it is becoming more and more a requirement to have your BSN before a hospital will hire you and definitely before you are promoted.

drpepper14
09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
oh and any online exams for your Associates of nursing require you to have scored well on either the ACT or SAT since I saw in your other post you had not taken the SAT.

The_ CaneCorso
09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Hmm if I could get a assoc then go back to schol while I have the job would be awesome

drpepper14
09-21-2008, 11:38 PM
That's how some people do it, but according to my wife and all of her friends with BSN's, it is fairly tough to find a nursing job in the metro ATL area without your BSN. Most hospitals at the moment take on ASN's as patient techs (you make half the pay and do twice the work)

So start out with your associates degree and that will at least help you get your foot in the door with a BSN program.

GirlieZ
09-22-2008, 02:00 AM
yea im pretty sure you have to go to an accredited 4 yr school, like GSU or KSU. my mom has her masters of nursing from emory and it was an additional 2 yrs on top of her 4 yr degree. but its worth it since she made in the 6 digits and had prescription rights.

drpepper14
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
for a BSN you do have to go to accredited 4 yr program, but there are some programs that allow you to achieve an associates in nursing so you can take the NCLEX (too bad most people fail the test because an associates degree does not prepare you in the slightest for the test)

My wife is going back for her masters @ KSU or emory once I finish my masters in exercise physiology/biomechanics next year.

GirlieZ
09-22-2008, 05:11 PM
for a BSN you do have to go to accredited 4 yr program, but there are some programs that allow you to achieve an associates in nursing so you can take the NCLEX (too bad most people fail the test because an associates degree does not prepare you in the slightest for the test)

My wife is going back for her masters @ KSU or emory once I finish my masters in exercise physiology/biomechanics next year.
where are you getting your masters....i am graduating from ga state in dec with my kinesiology degree. Im enrolled at Boise State in their graduate program, taking a few credits over so i can start their exercise physiology masters program next year. not a biomechanics fan in the terms of working w/ dartfish, etc but i like practicing it in the field. Im working as a physiologist/coach with pro triathletes out here in boise. its pretty kick a$$ and im loving it

blaknoize
09-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Come to the state that is known for Healthcare. The State of Ohio. Though our economy is broken we have a strong background in healthcare, everything is cheaper and this state will not allow itself to fail (as no state will.) Unless of course, ur already well ground into GA, then disregard this message. But Ohio is well known for its hospitals and medical schools.

If u'd like info on each medical institute, be it in Cinci, Columbus, or Cleveland, send me a PM. I rep my poor state; the one with the cut flag... the Birthplace of Avaiton

drpepper14
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm actually going to ga state for my degree, but will be finishing both the exercise phys and biomechanics requirements of the degree.

When did you graduate from gsu?

Ohio has a great healthcare system, but if he wants to be an RN he can literally go ANYWHERE at this point in time because the nursing shortage has been so rampant and will continue to get worse with time.

GirlieZ
09-24-2008, 01:31 AM
are you still in your ungrad?

Im graduating in DEC 08 but i already am approved for my degree, just doing my internship now. They offered me a position after my internship which i am going to take. i actually have a sweet position, we train half the day and test the other half. and nothing is better then some hot triathlon boys. i actually picked sexy tri guy up for my own :)im in heaven.

my masters is just in exercise physiology. im doing the thesis option, ill be done dec 2010. ill also be the GA to the BSU swim team.

Kevykev
09-24-2008, 06:52 AM
I know a bunch or RNs. This is the most simple but very helpful advice that i can give you: Make sure you're ok with dealing with sick people and everything that comes along with it (smells, blood, bodily discharge, mental patients, death etc. etc.) and not to mention the paperwork and liability.

Definitely not attempting to discourage you, just making sure you don't waste a couple years like someone I personally know.

Wish you the best with your decision.