PDA

View Full Version : Biden calls paying higher taxes a patriotic act.......

willum14pb
09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm starting to become one of those conspiracy theorists.......Biden has to be purposely torpedo'ing his own VP selection so he can "step down", and Obama has no choice but to pick Hillary.

http://my350z.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

http://my350z.com/forum/images/smilies/icon17.gif

Biden calls paying higher taxes a patriotic act

41 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden said Thursday that paying more in taxes is the patriotic thing to do for wealthier Americans. The Republican campaign for president calls the tax increases their Democratic opponents propose "painful" instead of patriotic.

Under the economic plan proposed by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, people earning more than $250,000 a year would pay more in taxes while those earning less — the vast majority of American taxpayers — would receive a tax cut.

"We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people," Biden said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Noting that wealthier Americans would indeed pay more, Biden said: "It's time to be patriotic ... time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut."

Republican presidential candidate John McCain released a television ad Thursday charging that Obama would increase the size of the federal government amid an economic crisis. Contending that "a big government casts a big shadow on us all," the ad features the image of a shadow slowly covering a sleeping baby as it exaggerates the reach of the Obama tax proposal.

"Obama and his liberal congressional allies want a massive government, billions in spending increases, wasteful pork," the ad says. "And we would pay — painful income taxes, skyrocketing taxes on life savings, electricity and home heating oil. Can your family afford that?"

The McCain campaign said the ad is set to run nationally.

"We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people," Biden said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Why doesn't he just come out say what he truly meant.

Biden: "We want to take money from the entrepeneurs, small business owners, and innovators and redistribute it to the rest you lower class people to guarantee your vote".

Since when did $250,000 from a double income family become the "filthy rich" standard?

From a personal stand point, I know a pair of brothers that own a small coffee distributing company (your typical small business owner) that will fall under this $250k even though they take home less then I make. Next time I talk to them I'll find out how many of there half dozen employees they had to let go.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/...pr/biden_taxes (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_el_pr/biden_taxes)

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJkzRYffec&eurl

Vteckidd
09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah no sh!t this is what ive been saying for oh i dunno 12 months!

Good let them keep talking American isnt stupid they are going to lose this election

4dmin
09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195008

willum14pb
09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Admin, the OP of that thread doesn't understand simple economics. OBVIOUSLY.

joecoolfreak
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I welcome you to come into that thread and prove your point anytime.

willum14pb
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I've proven it here. If you understand that when you charge business owners more money, they will have to lay off and increase prices. SIMPLE ECONOMICS.

joecoolfreak
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Then I shall leave you here in peace. I always welcome a healthy debate based on FACTS as well as opinions, which of course was the motivation for my thread. If you have nothing to learn or share in that discussion, that's perfectly acceptable. I stated both facts and opinions and backed up my facts with credible sources. If you just choose to dismiss it all because you simply disagree and not justify that claim, we have nothing to discuss.

Alan®
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Then I shall leave you here in peace. I always welcome a healthy debate based on FACTS as well as opinions, which of course was the motivation for my thread. If you have nothing to learn or share in that discussion, that's perfectly acceptable. I stated both facts and opinions and backed up my facts with credible sources. If you just choose to dismiss it all because you simply disagree and not justify that claim, we have nothing to discuss.
It is a fact. Look at what Biden and Obama want to do with the expansion of FLMA do you really think that it won't cost business owners money? Do you really think with those within 5-10 employees within the 25 employee minimum won't do what they can to get below 25?

Higher taxes will trickle down GUARANTEED! When gas first shot up after 9/11 what did the Airline's do? They passed on the increased cost of oil to the consumer. Now what do you think will happen IF/WHEN Obama/Biden enact a windfall profits tax(which BTW goes against everything a capitalistic society stands for)on as the dem's like to call it "Big Oil"? It's going to make everything more expensive than it already is and the prices on everything will go up.

Same goes with small business. We have the 2nd highest corporate tax rate IN THE WORLD and yet people wonder why our economy is the way it is. :rolleyes: People seem to also for get for small business technically(and there are ways around this but)you are supposed pay taxes in every state you do business. So Let's see 39% Corporate FEDERAL taxes+State tax amounts to paying out AT LEAST half of what you make BACK TO THE GOVERNMENT. This is real simple here folks. Economists pretty much all say the same thing. Cut the Corporate tax rate by a mere 5% and billions of dollars will be enjected back into the Economy.

joecoolfreak
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
The problem you have RedGT is your flawed use of an argument. You are using a reverse fallacy. You state that you know that taxing corporations on higher rates trickles down (of course with no credible source to back it up besides your own conjecture) and you try and pass the logic off as it's opposite. Even if your first premise was true, that doesn't mean that if you lower the taxes on corporations, they will lower the prices for consumers. One doesn't have a damn thing to do with the other. It sounds good, but just doesn't work in reality. There are always other factors to deal with. The price of oil per barrel is around 93 bucks right now and gas isn't below 3 dollars a gallon like it used to be when it was the same price. Yes, the hurricane has diminished refining capacity, but I would be willing to be it still won't come down in the future to where it used to be. If you give corporations more money, they will make more profits and have more money. They don't pass those savings along to consumers. They haven't ever and aren't going to start now.

Now since you mention that we have the 2nd highest corporate tax rate, lets throw another fun fact out.

Two-thirds of U.S. corporations paid no federal income taxes between 1998 and 2005, according to a new report from Congress.
Source: AP (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080812/D92GL1U00.html)

That means, regardless of what you do to the corporate tax code, two thirds of them aren't even paying ANY corporate taxes.

Everything aside, I agree with Biden on this one. I think it is everyone's duty, personal and corporate, to pay taxes. Without paying taxes, our country would cease to exist.

willum14pb
09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
wow, the fact that this guy REFUSES to SEE THE FACTS makes me want to punch babies. Then again he's one of those middle class people who brings in less than 100k a year so he wants that free $1000. So he'll argue that the sky isn't blue as long as barack says it isn't.

joecoolfreak
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
What fact is it that you think I don't see? I make well over 100k and wish that they wouldn't lower ANYone's taxes as I have clearly stated over and over in my other thread.

Alan®
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
The problem you have RedGT is your flawed use of an argument. You are using a reverse fallacy. You state that you know that taxing corporations on higher rates trickles down (of course with no credible source to back it up besides your own conjecture) and you try and pass the logic off as it's opposite. Even if your first premise was true, that doesn't mean that if you lower the taxes on corporations, they will lower the prices for consumers. One doesn't have a damn thing to do with the other. It sounds good, but just doesn't work in reality. There are always other factors to deal with. The price of oil per barrel is around 93 bucks right now and gas isn't below 3 dollars a gallon like it used to be when it was the same price. Yes, the hurricane has diminished refining capacity, but I would be willing to be it still won't come down in the future to where it used to be. If you give corporations more money, they will make more profits and have more money. They don't pass those savings along to consumers. They haven't ever and aren't going to start now.

Now since you mention that we have the 2nd highest corporate tax rate, lets throw another fun fact out.

Source: AP (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080812/D92GL1U00.html)

That means, regardless of what you do to the corporate tax code, two thirds of them aren't even paying ANY corporate taxes.

Everything aside, I agree with Biden on this one. I think it is everyone's duty, personal and corporate, to pay taxes. Without paying taxes, our country would cease to exist.

Please report here.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195231

joecoolfreak
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Please report here.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195231

Happily reported sir =-)

Alan®
09-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Happily reported sir =-)
:goodjob:

.blank cd
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
If you republicans are so worried about higher taxes, why dont you all sell off your big SUV's that you're daily driving by yourselves, make up the difference?

Alan®
09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
If you republicans are so worried about higher taxes, why dont you all sell off your big SUV's that you're daily driving by yourselves, make up the difference?
Because the last I checked we made money on that in our taxes :goodjob:

.blank cd
09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Because the last I checked we made money on that in our taxes :goodjob:explain

Alan®
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
you can write off the purchase of an suv with a GVWR of 6,000lbs +