PDA

View Full Version : smell gas fumes?

1NonlyAccord
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Iv been smelling gas fumes on my car for a little bit now.. I Have a blox 12:1 FMU-so i checked if i have a leak and its not leaking,clamps are on there tight and iv had no lose of fuel or anything..no other modification was done to the fuel after the turbo install except walbro 255 fuel pump but thats in the trunk.
I do have holes in my CAT-could that be causing the smell?
i smell it when im at the drive through for lunch and sometimes at idle..*mainly when im just sitting there..*

any ideas?

BTEC
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
is the cover on ur fuel pump sealed. like are the hoses leaking or the cover not tightened all the way? raw gas smell out of ur cat means ur wasting gas and need to get tuned BAD.

Joe 6 pack diginosing: light a match and go fishing. when u get close to the leak and blow up, u can look dwn from heaven and say "i found it!!!"

WhiteAccord
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

1NonlyAccord
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
im gonna assume the shop tightned the fuel pump cover on..i dont smell it directly in the car..just when my window is down and im sitting still,and like i said heavy smell when im at the drive through with the wall right there bouncing the exhaust back..

I have a testpipe..would that help?

BTEC
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
im gonna assume the shop tightned the fuel pump cover on..i dont smell it directly in the car..just when my window is down and im sitting still,and like i said heavy smell when im at the drive through with the wall right there bouncing the exhaust back..

I have a testpipe..would that help?
if its indeed coming from ur cat then itll just make the smell come out the back of the car. is ur car tuned? if so by who?

1NonlyAccord
09-17-2008, 07:02 PM
no its just the blox FMU and missing link..factory injectors.ect..Mahdavi did the install

BTEC
09-17-2008, 07:10 PM
no its just the blox FMU and missing link..factory injectors.ect..Mahdavi did the install
i guess if the whole is at the front of ur cat ud smell gas considering the cats job is to burn excess unburned fuel but the smell im thinking would be excessive and would eventually melt a cat ne way. to properly diagnose the smell ud have to know what ur a/f was at idle to determine whether or not ur running too rich or not (bad sensor,worn plugs or wires, etc...) or f its just the whole in ur cat. in the mean time if it bothers u, put the test pipe on.

1NonlyAccord
09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
its between 14.5/15-16ish at idle/vac..then 12/12.5 under boost

BTEC
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
its between 14.5/15-16ish at idle/vac..then 12/12.5 under boost
oh. put on the test pipe or get a new cat and keep rolling. if u keep smelling it after that then id look in the trunk or get a match. lol!!!

1NonlyAccord
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
so nothing to worry about? dont want my car to burst into flames.ha
since i already have the test pipe ill just put that on.itl give me little more power anyways for the FI

BTEC
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
i wouldnt worry but id keep my snout clean just in case i still smell it after the test pipe got put on. or take it to a shop and let them look for it. a car breaking dwn is fixable but it burning dwn...yeah.

gsrteg
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
hey, check your gas pump cap...I noticed I was having the same problem, with smelling gas fumes. I checked my gas pump cap, and freakin found out it was messed up. The clicking noise fooled me, but really It wasn't closing tightly all the way, so I bought a brand new one, and gas smell went away....If this not the problem then, check to see When you release ur gas cap to pump gas, you should ALWAYS hear or feel pressure releasing (you know, that "ssshshhhhss" noise). Hope this is answer to ya problem, make sure you close it properly.