PDA

View Full Version : Online Courses... and other questions...

Killer
09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
so..... got rid of all my gaming stuff so i could get a laptop.. and take some online courses.. cause my schedule just doesn't allow for me to go to school or night school...

problem is... i don't even know where to start... and on top of that... I DON'T KNOW WTF I WANNA DO!!!!!!!!!

only things i'm passionate about are music.. and photography.. and chances of making a good living of those are slim...

anyone know of some sort of "test" i can take to tell me what i'd be good at.. or should be doing...

i'm so freakin tired of hating my job everyday!!!!!!!! yes i wanna make more money.. but mainly i just want to be happy and get out of this cubicle!!!!!!!!

jacktheraper
09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Graphic design.

Red_Phoenix
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Go to free-career-test.com or something like that

Killer
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Graphic design.

i do like the thought of some sort of design..

Killer
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Go to free-career-test.com or something like that

tried that... doesn't really cut it..

The Ninja
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Doesn't matter what you want to do, but start off undeclared and begin taking your Core classes and go from there.

Along the way begin experimenting with different classes, consult your advisor. You haven't experienced everything there is to experience so don't have any reserves unless you are sure you don't want to do a few specific careers.

Killer
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Doesn't matter what you want to do, but start off undeclared and begin taking your Core classes and go from there.

Along the way begin experimenting with different classes, consult your advisor. You haven't experienced everything there is to experience so don't have any reserves unless you are sure you don't want to do a few specific careers.

well, i'm not sure that'll i'll try to get a college degree... i may just do some sort of trade specific course....

like real estate lic... or something of that sort.. (NO I DON'T WANT MY REAL ESTATE LIC!!!! I JUST ME SOMETHING I CAN DO THE COURSE AND BE CERTIFIED/LIC TO DO THE JOB) get it??

The Ninja
09-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Get a degree.. you won't regret it. DO IT! DO IT NOW F4GGOT.

Killer
09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Get a degree.. you won't regret it. DO IT! DO IT NOW F4GGOT.

give me money!!!!!!

The Ninja
09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Naw, you got it twisted. YOU give ME money. :ninja:

Killer
09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
if i had lots.. i'd think about it..

for some "favors" lol........

anyways... point is.. i don't really have the time or cash for a degree.. i don't think anyway.....

and i'm not just trying to go the easy route.. cause going back to school is always an option... i'm just trying to get out of what i'm doing now... and don't want to wait 2-3 more years before i do it... i'll be 23 in oct.. and i just want to have a bit more established than what i have...

b18hb
09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
have you considered engineering?

Killer
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
have you considered engineering?

YES!!! i just don't know what field.. my old room mate was a mechanical engineer... i was so jealous at the stuff he did/could do at work....

Hulud
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
why dont you do school man?

can you get HOPE?

Killer
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
why dont you do school man?

can you get HOPE?

if i do straight school i'm gonna have to do a lot of remedial classes.... i went tech prep my senior year because i ****ed around too much and failed a few college prep classes.... (not that i wasn't smart enough... just wasn't smart enought to pull my head out of my ass!!!)

and my job.. though not physical... it wears me the f out!!! mentally i just don't have the drive to get out and go to school....

as far as hope goes... i doubt it.. i didn't have the gpa that i needed for the scholarship... i think there is a hope grant i can get though... maybe... i don't remember how that all worked out...

Hulud
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
yea weve had this convo before i just wasnt sure about hope, and i forgot you got a tech degree

Killer
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
yea weve had this convo before i just wasnt sure about hope, and i forgot you got a tech degree

yeah, i'm retarded... i know... i know... :lmfao: :lmfao:

girls are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulud
09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
lol you comin to World Of Wings tonight?

Killer
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
lol you comin to World Of Wings tonight?

i would.. but i'm broke as a joke... and i got a lot to do tonight.... :(

sorry home slice... maybe ya'll can stop by afterwards???

maybe donate some redbulls to the "killer has jager maybe we should drink some tonight" fund??? lol

b18hb
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
YES!!! i just don't know what field.. my old room mate was a mechanical engineer... i was so jealous at the stuff he did/could do at work....

It would probably be more appropriate to say fields... from what I understand, a lot of interdiscipline study is going on now. (i.e. biomedical and mechanical for artifical limbs). if you want to do something with cars, mechanical and aerospace* (*for high end cars mainly).

The big thing is getting started. Until your junior year, you don't especially need to decide on a specific field of study and there will be a lot of opportunity to explore the responsibilities of each discipline. Do some research...

ASME, AIAA, ASCE, ACS, are the acronyms for some of the different engineering societies. Each of their websites will have a lot of good information for you and possibly help you to understand the roles of each in the engineering profession. There are many more societies, but you can find those on your own.

If you decide to pursue a degree, be prepared to spend a lot of time doing the work. It is not easy. It helps if you get involved and looks great on a resume. A lot of big engineering companies offer internships and co op opportunities as you move your way through your studies. Again, looks good on the resume and helps you to gain some experience.

There is a lot of financial assistance offered through various programs as your work your way through, which could relieve you a bit from the financial part of education (and maybe living also). You have to look around for it.

Sammich
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
GO INTO NETWORKING...

Killer
09-18-2008, 02:48 PM
GO INTO NETWORKING...

dude, i already have a myspace and facebook... what other kind of networking is there?!?!?!!!

lirl!!!!!

honestly though.. do you mean like IT networking type stuff...

Killer
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
It would probably be more appropriate to say fields... from what I understand, a lot of interdiscipline study is going on now. (i.e. biomedical and mechanical for artifical limbs). if you want to do something with cars, mechanical and aerospace* (*for high end cars mainly).

The big thing is getting started. Until your junior year, you don't especially need to decide on a specific field of study and there will be a lot of opportunity to explore the responsibilities of each discipline. Do some research...

ASME, AIAA, ASCE, ACS, are the acronyms for some of the different engineering societies. Each of their websites will have a lot of good information for you and possibly help you to understand the roles of each in the engineering profession. There are many more societies, but you can find those on your own.

If you decide to pursue a degree, be prepared to spend a lot of time doing the work. It is not easy. It helps if you get involved and looks great on a resume. A lot of big engineering companies offer internships and co op opportunities as you move your way through your studies. Again, looks good on the resume and helps you to gain some experience.

There is a lot of financial assistance offered through various programs as your work your way through, which could relieve you a bit from the financial part of education (and maybe living also). You have to look around for it.

^^^ the financial end is my biggest worry.. and one reason i'm not sure about an actual degree.... and as far as the looking around for aid... thats where i fail at... I never can find ANYTHING i'm looking for... like i am the worst google/yahoo searcher alive!!!!!!!!! lol

b18hb
09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
most schools have several programs designed to help students who are struggling financially to find a way. there are other programs working their way into schools. mesa is one, there is lsamp (in some schools), and probably hundreds for minorities. there is usually a financial aid website for major universities that has information about the various scholorships, grants, programs, etc. and outlines rough requirements for each.

i think your first step should be to look at and seriously consider what it is you want to do, then choose a school based on that decision, and then consider your financial options. there is always a way to make things work out, especially when you dig in and go after it (which is why you have to make a study decision before you can go further)

Killer
09-19-2008, 12:58 PM
most schools have several programs designed to help students who are struggling financially to find a way. there are other programs working their way into schools. mesa is one, there is lsamp (in some schools), and probably hundreds for minorities. there is usually a financial aid website for major universities that has information about the various scholorships, grants, programs, etc. and outlines rough requirements for each.

i think your first step should be to look at and seriously consider what it is you want to do, then choose a school based on that decision, and then consider your financial options. there is always a way to make things work out, especially when you dig in and go after it (which is why you have to make a study decision before you can go further)

yeah, i've got to figure out what i want to do first thing... i honestly just don't know though...