PDA

View Full Version : Pell Grant/HOPE???

addandrew
09-15-2008, 09:46 AM
So my fin aid came through but now I don't know how to use it to pay for my classes. I'm attending GTC. Anyone that went through fin aid to pay for school, please share some kind of information. Someone told me Pell Grant was free money, which I still don't understand why it's "free money".

Sammich
09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
if ur financial aid came thru..they should automatically apply it to your tuition..if there is extra money left over..expect a check

carbon_crash
09-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Pell Grant is free money, its money the government gives you if your COMBINED parent's income is low. I dont remember what it is exactly, but its gotta be hell of low! I didnt have any support from either one of my parents when I went to college andlived with my sister, But the financial aid office still wanted my mom and dads W2 to see their income

addandrew
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
thank you both for the info! So will they send me a check for the Pell Grant?

Sammich
09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
whenever i got extra money i went to the schools financial aid office to get mine if i remember correctly

dvlerin41
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Just go to the financial aid office and they should be able to tell you if you are getting any money from pell. But sometimes they are slow as hell and give u the run a round. My Pell money goes directly on a school debit card that i can use anywhere. $800 for free each quater is fine with me. Just check with FA

JTM
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Pell grant = free money to buy basically whatever, even if its non school related

DevilK9
09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Clark Howard (if you know who he is) did a study and found that if invested in 12 month CDs, the extra funds from the average Pell Grant would pay for an average of 50% of most outstanding student loans in 4-5 years. Basically, he said to make that money work for you and pay off half your debt when you graduate.

Not sure about the specifics, just heard it on the radio a while back.

<end of unsolicited advice>

addandrew
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Pell grant = free money to buy basically whatever, even if its non school related

If it's really free money...I feel very :eek:. $2500 is a lot IMO to be just free. I prob have to pay them back or something, no?

Sammich
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
GRANTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS = NO PAYBACK

ONLY THING U PAY BACK ARE LOANS

Total_Blender
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Wait until you have to buy books, pay technology/equipment fees, etc. Tuition is only half of the college financial burden. You'd be amazed at all the way schools can needle money out of their students. :ninja:

Sammich
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Wait until you have to buy books, pay technology/equipment fees, etc. Tuition is only half of the college financial burden. You'd be amazed at all the way schools can needle money out of their students. :ninja:

QFT

GSRtegŪ
09-17-2008, 01:58 AM

x2 :goodjob:

japan4racing
09-17-2008, 09:10 AM

for realz...buying books was the gay...i couldnt get pell becuase my parents made too much money but i got hope..they gave a $100 book allowance and i would still spend extra getting my **** for school. pell is where its at..i remember going ot get my hope check when i wouldnt use teh hope money on books and ppl would be getting pell checks for $700 and $800..made me jealous

SPOOLIN
09-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Pell Grant is free money, its money the government gives you if your COMBINED parent's income is low. I dont remember what it is exactly, but its gotta be hell of low! I didnt have any support from either one of my parents when I went to college andlived with my sister, But the financial aid office still wanted my mom and dads W2 to see their income

thats what bothered the **** out of me back in the day was them wanting that info. Hell my wife was 21 and she had to fill out parental **** i was like, leave that crap blank because you are 21!!