PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods turbo questions

hondaxpurt
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
yes i was thinking about buying a turbo off ebay. has anyone had any experience with ebay turbos? i was thinking about buying everything piece by piece and i was wondering if anyone had any experience? also i was wondering should i get a JRSC or turbo? pros and cons for each? reps for help...its a d16 btw...

99fordzx2
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
From what I hear ebay turbos are decent. You get what you pay for most of the time. As for turbo or supercharger its really a matter of preference. Like where and when you want your power, and what the purpose of the car is as wel as power level you plan on reaching. Those are the things you have to ask yourself when researching for a build like this.

-D

hondaxpurt
09-14-2008, 08:57 PM
well i have seen some turbos t3/t4 for like 150 shipped and manifolds for like 100 shipped...i wanna be around 200-210 whp while still being reliable. but i have a dd, so not too worried about the motor

slostang
09-14-2008, 09:36 PM
eBay turbos are hit or miss. they are either good or bad. and there's virtually no way to tell what you're getting. I say spend the extra money for some reliability and quality.

hondaxpurt
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
what about the manifolds, wastegate, etc?

slostang
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
manifolds tend to break or crack eaisly, wastegates and blow off valves tend to leak alot and or not open when they are supposed to.

for the realistic power you'll get out of a chep turbo kit or jrsc on a d16z6 I'd say just get a strong running GSR swap with a nice cold air intake, a hytec header, exhaust and a tune. it'll prolly be about as fast for around the same money or less and be 10x more reliable.

roche
09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
^That, or just piece together a quality turbo kit for about the same price that would actually be reliable.

slostang
09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
^That, or just piece together a quality turbo kit for about the same price that would actually be reliable.

you've never owned a car with an aftermarket turbo kit have you?

there is ALWAYS something wrong with a boosted car. they are never truly finished.

99fordzx2
09-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Ebay maniofolds tend to crack, hey Chirs remeber Matt with his backyard turbo setup, he's cracked two ebay manifols, now hes going with a cast unit. That being said not all non cast iron manifolds are bad, just the cheap ones.

-D

99fordzx2
09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
manifolds tend to break or crack eaisly, wastegates and blow off valves tend to leak alot and or not open when they are supposed to.

for the realistic power you'll get out of a chep turbo kit or jrsc on a d16z6 I'd say just get a strong running GSR swap with a nice cold air intake, a hytec header, exhaust and a tune. it'll prolly be about as fast for around the same money or less and be 10x more reliable.

Speaks troof.

-D

slostang
09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
thats all I do.

hondaxpurt
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
well i plan on installing a t3/t4 on my d16 and while thats running im going to buy an ls swap and prep it for boost...found a decent turbo kit for 950 everything included

99fordzx2
09-15-2008, 10:58 PM
g/l your gonna need it.

-D

turbob20
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
ebay kits are good decent kits. there waste gates are hit and miss, be sure to get no more than an 8 psi spring. and be sure to have a boost guage or you never know how high it might go with these kits. ive had friends get an 8 psi wg and take it apart and have a huge 14 psi spring. that would suck. also get an oil restrictor as full perssure some times makes the seals on the turbo leak.get a cast iron manifold with a center waste gate for 79.00 on ebay the (because tubular ones crack) and these are good for decent power seen 352 made on one on a b series wich are same design just smaller diffrent bolt patern and a walbro fuel pump and try to at least get an injector resistor box off an older obd-0 honda or teg and some dsm talon or eclipse blue top 450cc injectors and chipped and tuned. i dont know what your numbers will be on stock internals but it will depend mostly on the tunner. talk to scotty from mainstream on here and pm him about his d16 and hes stock internals and pushed it hard a couple times on the dyno and got 220- 250 around in there. good luck bro.

turbob20
09-15-2008, 11:36 PM
also as these guys said reliable is a mystic word. i every engine has its service life. drivr hard every second it will fail sooner than later. get it tunned then drive hard when the need arises. when you add turbos and superchergers they increase extra wear and tear but she damn feels good till it does tear up...