PDA

View Full Version : Honda Transmission Woes!

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Heres the story.

THe car is a 01 civic 5 speed. New clutch and throw out installed about a year ago. I was hearing a clicking noise while driving, which i thought was my autozone cv axle going out, so i didn't think to much of it. I'm driving down the freeway and everything seems fine. The clicking got louder, but i didn't think much of it beacuse I was going to pick up a new axle.

As i get ready to exit 285, i pushed the clutch in (operated ok) and tried to shift into neutral. But the car would not shift out of 5th. The shifter would move, but the gear would not change. I limped off the freeway and made it to a hotel. The clutch will still engages and disengages like normal. The cables aren't broken because the shift fork moves. The problem is it won't get out of 5th....

The mechanic i talked to says its the throw out bearing. But i don't think thats the problem. If it was bad, i don't think the clutch would engage and disengage like normal.

Another common problem with my car is the input shaft bearings going out. But i cant get a solid definition of the symptoms

Any suggestions?

B18c1Turboed
09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
CLUTCH!!!

B18c1Turboed
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
When you got too the hotel? and turned car off and put in another gear, or put car in neutral what did it do?

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Think so? I can idle the car with the clutch pushed in, and I can slip it to get the car moving.

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
When you got too the hotel? and turned car off and put in another gear, or put car in neutral what did it do?

It wont go to another gear or neutral. I can basicially move the shifter around in a circle

X-Runner
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
The shifter would move, but the gear would not change.

What do you mean "would move?" Sounds like something in the shift linkage broke if the shifter moves but the trans doesnt change gears.

EmminoDaGreat
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Bring it to us. 678-567-9384...

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
What do you mean "would move?" Sounds like something in the shift linkage broke if the shifter moves but the trans doesnt change gears.

I can move the shifter forwards, backwards, left and right. But the actual gears don't change. And it does not "snick" into gears.

X-Runner
09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I can move the shifter forwards, backwards, left and right. But the actual gears don't change. And it does not "snick" into gears.

But it has full range of motion, like it will move over to the first gear spot, etc?

Bruce Leroy
Bring it to us. 678-567-9384...

If i don't fix it by firday i might just do that... Thats a long way to tow from peachtree city tho.

**** this honda. It keeps eating into my rx7 money

B18c1Turboed

drop the tranny, more then likely its something internal!!!

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
But it has full range of motion, like it will move over to the first gear spot, etc?

Kinda. There is no pattern tho. I can move the shifter in big circles

EmminoDaGreat
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Lol hondas don't eat money, compared to a RX-7 lmk the tow place next to us works a deal for out customers.

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
drop the tranny, more then likely its something internal!!!

THx. I was planning to do it as soon as i can get two consecutive days off work...

Hopefully I don't have to get a new one cuz thats $700 down the drain.

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Lol hondas don't eat money, compared to a RX-7 lmk the tow place next to us works a deal for out customers.

Mine has broken once a month since june.

First both of my wheel bearings went. THen my coilover snapped in half, next my ball joint popped out of the lca and took out my axle, and now this.

But if i need to take it somewhere I will most def let you know.

EmminoDaGreat
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Thats crazy, my girl has one, and has never had a problem out of it...

B18c1Turboed
09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
its cheaper to rebuild it. Find out what is wrong and go to acura and buy those parts, gears arent as expensive as people think

Bruce Leroy
09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Everyone who has responded has been repped

EmminoDaGreat
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Gears are not whats preventing it from going into gear, more than likely a roll pin broke,needle bearing has totally been overheated, or shift fork has gotten messed up making it stay in one gear only, but not allowing it to shift into others.

C-loS109
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
i dont know what it oculd be but hope u fix it soon and it doesnt cost u too much.

SuperChicken
09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
He has said "I can move the shifter around in a circle, no pattern" repeatedly. Has anyone considered that the shifter pivot or anchor bushing may have fallen out or broken? Either would be a LOT cheaper to fix and easier to find, too. First things first...

Just sayin'

joshk5145
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
i had the same thing happen to my car and it ended up being that one of the pins on the linkage that hooks to the shifter had fallen out. pulled the console apart put a new pin in and it's perfect.

gsrteg
09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
do you have a hard time shifting into gear? Check under the clutch pedal with flashlight, and see if its leaking fluid from the clutch master cylinder and on the pedal...check the clutch fluid if its not low or empty and flush it, then take apart the Clutch MC, clean it and refill with new fluid....after that, bleed it. If this not the case, lift your car on jacks, and inspect the shifter linkage...Grab the shift knob, and pull UP towards the ceiling, and if it budge, then the shifter bushing stabilizer is torn or something is messed up....

turbob20
09-16-2008, 12:26 AM
take it from experiance the one thing honda should have never changed,to a shift cable. you can take the cotter pin out and take the bigger cable off from the tranny and get some one to move it in and out by hand while you hold shifter inside the car.if shifter wont move back and foward youll know.you have a cable that goes to the neutral position that makes shift linkage on tranny move up and down and the shifter moves around in nuetral position but its stuck in gear but another that goes to the shifter to the shift linkage that moves linkage in and out on tranny as well for gear actuation. your shift cable broke and the other is still working. it comes in a set with both cables anyways. after removing shifter console each cable has a pin that connects them to your shifter,some clips that holds cable to shifter console a couple of 10mms under the car and some washers and cotter pins that attaches them to the tranny linkage.good luck its easy to do.

slostang
09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
did you check the linkage?

turbob20
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
i dont really know when they went from a rod to a cable but if its a cable then read th above carefully.