PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods stage 2 Cam question Again!!!!!!!!!!

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok I just bought a 99 SI with a B18c5 in it:D .... It supposible has Stage 2 comp cams in it, which the guy gave me the box with stock SI cams in it, and as of right now I can definitly hear some sort of aftermarket cams in their... Could be stage 1 or 2 don't know for sure, But my question is can I stay OBD2 and keep these cams. Cause as of right now its throwing two codes one for the O2 sensor which he told me it would, I guess cause their bad, and the other code is a air fuel incorrect mixture, I don't know if thats cause of the O2 sensor code or the cams?????????

PS- I have a VAFC sitting in my garage I could tune it with, if that would help any...................

+1 to anyone who can help at all... THANKS Turbodude06:ninja:

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok well I just figured out that it also has a High flow cat which is probably why its throwing an O2 code cause everything is plug up and all....... So I'm going to have to get one of those O2 gaper things:thinking: I can't remember what their called to give the O2 less flow of exhaust.....

SiRed94
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Ok I just bought a 99 SI with a B18c5 in it:D .... It supposible has Stage 2 comp cams in it, which the guy gave me the box with stock SI cams in it, and as of right now I can definitly hear some sort of aftermarket cams in their... Could be stage 1 or 2 don't know for sure, But my question is can I stay OBD2 and keep these cams. Cause as of right now its throwing two codes one for the O2 sensor which he told me it would, I guess cause their bad, and the other code is a air fuel incorrect mixture, I don't know if thats cause of the O2 sensor code or the cams?????????

PS- I have a VAFC sitting in my garage I could tune it with, if that would help any...................

+1 to anyone who can help at all... THANKS Turbodude06:ninja:

the air fuel code most likely is related to the bad 02 sensor... without the cat, you will sometimes throw a "catalyst below efficiency threshold" code but some cars don't... same thing with the cams, I have seen some cars throw cylinder misfire codes at idle with large profile cams but some don't... but OBD2 cars aren't very mod friendly... so consider an OBD1 conversion...and as far as the vafc goes... there is no such thing as tuning with a Vafc... just go obd1 conversion and have the ecu chipped and tuned...

SiRed94
09-11-2008, 08:32 PM
oh and if the cams were just slapped in there without any type of tuning, you are most definitely not making the power that you could be off of them... good luck...

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
oh and if the cams were just slapped in there without any type of tuning, you are most definitely not making the power that you could be off of them... good luck...

Yea I know that, I'm just trying to get it runing half way decent u know, But why is tuning a VAFC not tuning:thinking: I know its not as good as a tuning a computar but still??????

Whiteboy572
09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I would get hondata and tune it out. More than likely the mapping is use to stock cams and its not making a complete combustion and throwing a very rich afr out, if you have a rich code. If thats the case you could stay OBD2 and get a simulator for the rear and just take the cat out if you have no emissions.

SiRed94
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Yea I know that, I'm just trying to get it runing half way decent u know, But why is tuning a VAFC not tuning:thinking: I know its not as good as a tuning a computar but still??????

because it works off of altering map sensor voltages to increase or decrease fuel... which also changes the ignition timing... so when you are decreasing fuel you are advancing timing as well, and retarding when you add fuel...

its not that bad of a device if you have something to control ignition timing to go along with it...

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I would get hondata and tune it out. More than likely the mapping is use to stock cams and its not making a complete combustion and throwing a very rich afr out, if you have a rich code. If thats the case you could stay OBD2 and get a simulator for the rear and just take the cat out if you have no emissions.

As long as OBD2 doesn't throw any codes it should pass emissions which I'm really not worrying about cause I know some people:ninja: ..... but yea its running a little rich, which I expected it to.....

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
because it works off of altering map sensor voltages to increase or decrease fuel... which also changes the ignition timing... so when you are decreasing fuel you are advancing timing as well, and retarding when you add fuel...

its not that bad of a device if you have something to control ignition timing to go along with it...

Oh ok, makes sense.....

SiRed94
09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
but to answer your question... not having the cat could also cause a downstream o2 code... and if you are going to continue without the cat... that little spacer for it... wouldn't be a bad idea

Turbodude06
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
^ Yea thats what I figured just got the car two days ago so I just got it running tonight, But thanks for all the advice and if I have any problem tomarrow I guess I'll be back on here.... +1 to everyone that helped THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hondaxpurt
09-12-2008, 05:22 PM
i wanna see it

Turbd4DE
09-13-2008, 01:29 PM
What up man the o2 non fowler will help with the o2 readings.Go to the auto store in downtown woodstock and tell them u a "non fowler" that will fit a o2 plug, they are made for spark plugs but they will work, me and Jordan have them on the neons! Good luck man see ya later.:cheers:

southside
09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
My friend's type-R has crowers stg2s and he has no check lights .But his car is tuned also. He might have worked you though about the aftermarket cams.Never know until you take it apart and see. But make sure your o2s are good,I doubt you will pass emissions with a High FLow cat if its obd2.Because it is a bit.ch getting them to pass emissions.

shinobi
09-15-2008, 12:11 PM
they r called spacers u can get a set of 20 off ebay the cams is throwing the code cuz it is not tuned properly no the VAFC is not really considered tuning but it is in a way will it help u stop throwing that code NO but it will help u in tuning wen u want ur vtec to kick in and how long the power will be there just get it tuned and by a hondata that chipping ecu **** is some bull**** cuz it still going 2 b throwing that code especially since its obd2 chipping is the cheaper way of doing **** than just buying the important **** u need and mother****ers wonder y there car is running too damn rich or too damn lean after about 6 months then u going 2 back 2 square one wen all they had 2 do was not b cheap and go get the proper **** if u want 2 make real power do **** the right way not the half assed way:tongue1: