PDA

View Full Version : The Significance of Calculus

Blitanicle99
09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Can anyone here, explain the Significance of Calculus in everyday life?

*In a nutshell, I HATE THIS ****ING CLASS. I think its the dumbest class Ive ever taken. I am literally learning how to manipulate numbers. Great. What the hell does that teach me? Nothing. It teaches me to take a test and get a grade. Nothing else. I am a business major. Teach me accounting, or other **** that is relavant. Not this crap. *

Stormhammer
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
man i havent taken math in awhile, and i have to take a class in it again

i was like fsck, whats 2+2...

Vayda
09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
doesn't calculus deal with how things grow and change over time? My high school teacher always used some stupid seashell metaphor when "when are we going to use this" came up. Basically calculus uses logarithms and **** to determine the next step in a growth model when it's not just a linear sequence, right? Stuff like e? Well anyway it seems like growth models would be useful in a business.

who knows, i'm an english major, everything i said may have been totally off :D

Total_Blender
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
http://popsci.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/12/collider.jpg

The Large Hadron Particle Collider is why calculus is important. Now excuse me while I search Google for a reason why the Large Hadron Particle Collider is important. :goodjob:

Psycho
09-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Has anyone made a goatse pic of that yet?

RandomGuy
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Has anyone made a goatse pic of that yet?
lmfao i thought the same thing LIRL

repped

con
09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
lolz....

I hated calculus, only because it didn't make sense. I could make it work, but why it worked was beyond my comprehension. relying on theorems someone else conjured up that I could not personally prove was a *****. Managed to walk away with a B though....

good luck

jwrape
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
That's why i failed Calculus. Never understood that mess. It didn't make logical sense

Deke
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Calculus is present in all sorts of everyday things. For instance, acceleration is the derivative of velocity, and velocity is the derivative of position, both with respect to time (concepts IA can relate to :)).

Honestly though, for the average person, you will never have to use Calculus in your life. Even for an engineering major generally a computer program will take care of that sort of calculation for you, but understanding the concept of it is definitely helpful.

And college is all about proving that you are capable of learning. While some of the stuff you might use in the future, a lot of it (in any subject) will never be brought up again.

Z33_kid
09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
that class sucks

RandomGuy
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.jamphat.com/rap/index_files/image025.jpg