PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Camshaft + Piston Compression = Help

DC2NR
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
If I were to run ... say Skunk2 Stage2 cams in my B18C1. Would it be ok to run on a stock block with at least arp rod bolts? Or would I have to run a higher compression to yeild any good power?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

VickNotic
09-14-2008, 01:56 PM
i would say let me test them out .. and i'll tell you if it's good or bad :)

allmotorX
09-14-2008, 03:10 PM
i would say let me test them out .. and i'll tell you if it's good or bad :)lol

4DrTeg
09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
i would say let me test them out .. and i'll tell you if it's good or bad :)

x2:D

9ussy
09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
i would say go with ITR pistons.. i dont know.... hehe... man goin stage 2 cams? beast..

4eyedbox
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
If I were to run ... say Skunk2 Stage2 cams in my B18C1. Would it be ok to run on a stock block with at least arp rod bolts? Or would I have to run a higher compression to yeild any good power?

Thanks

First and foremost, I would advise you to do some reading to get a better understanding of what camshafts do. You would need to be looking at upgrading valve train parts to support cams if they are of extreme lift and duration, noot your block. So please do some reading of the basic principles of internal compustion engines before asking if you need high-compression pistons to get your cams to produce power.

9ussy
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
First and foremost, I would advise you to do some reading to get a better understanding of what camshafts do. You would need to be looking at upgrading valve train parts to support cams if they are of extreme lift and duration, noot your block. So please do some reading of the basic principles of internal compustion engines before asking if you need high-compression pistons to get your cams to produce power.

well he did say if he "was" to run the Skunk2 stage2 cams.. and of course anyone who even knows what tha heck skunk2 stage2 cams are and the basic knowledge of what they do to your engine .. they should know that you will need an valve train upgrade also... well my point is that your bashing on this guy b/c you think he's a noob... At least ask him " Do you know running Skunk2 stage2 cams.. that you'll need a valve train upgrade?? (Valves, Springs and retainers, etc...) "

-al

DC2NR
09-16-2008, 12:00 AM
well he did say if he "was" to run the Skunk2 stage2 cams.. and of course anyone who even knows what tha heck skunk2 stage2 cams are and the basic knowledge of what they do to your engine .. they should know that you will need an valve train upgrade also... well my point is that your bashing on this guy b/c you think he's a noob... At least ask him " Do you know running Skunk2 stage2 cams.. that you'll need a valve train upgrade?? (Valves, Springs and retainers, etc...) "

-al

Thank you sir ...

P.S. Al- Found my PR3's so I think they'll be fine if I run a 2 layer headgasket. But whoever said I was running Stage 2 cams? :ninja: it was just a question :D

Sorry to confuse you but I already am running aftermarket valvesprings and retainers. enough to hold my lift. Also I said a stock block, never said anything about runnin stock internals on the head. It was just a basic question if I should be running a higher compression with more aggressive camshafts. But thanks I've already done my research and have gotten my answer.

9ussy
09-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Thank you sir ...

P.S. Al- Found my PR3's so I think they'll be fine if I run a 2 layer headgasket. But whoever said I was running Stage 2 cams? :ninja: it was just a question :D

Sorry to confuse you but I already am running aftermarket valvesprings and retainers. enough to hold my lift. Also I said a stock block, never said anything about runnin stock internals on the head. It was just a basic question if I should be running a higher compression with more aggressive camshafts. But thanks I've already done my research and have gotten my answer.

Let me know how it goes.. might want to do it too :ninja:

all-mota
09-16-2008, 07:14 AM
yes they will work fine. the p30's should help you out also. just because you have a stock bottom end doesn't mean the cams wouldn't work they would just benefit more from higher compression most any cam will make more power with higher compression, but that doesn't mean they won't make good power with a stock bottom end

TheChosenOne
09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
It's posts like this that junk up the all-motor threads...:no:

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!...:gay:

All-Mota pretty much hit it on the head. The most important part would be to have an upgraded valve train, but you've already got that. So, to answer your question, you can run the stock GSR internals and pull very "reliably" good numbers, but you COULD get more with a higher compression. You can always get some OEM pistons to turn up the ol' compression ratio.

99SI
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I would not run a 2 layer HG. You just don't get the same seal and reliability. If you want a little extra bump in compression run a flat face valve or do a .020/.030 mill on the head, never hurts to make sure that you have a nice flat surface to mate to your block. You can get good gains without upping compression with S2S2 cams as long as supporting mods are in place: GOOD HEADER!, intake manifold that will help make that power up high, something to tune with, either obd1 running crome/uber, hondata etc. Good luck

DC2NR
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
:ninja:

boosted91rex
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
u should make 200 to the wheels if tuned g/l with it

all-mota
09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
if i had to guess i would say mid 180's maybe 190.

and i wouldn't mill the head thats a cheap way out for a little compression that won't make much of a difference use that cash on something to squeze a little extra power out of your setup else where. thats just my opinion i would rather not go through the trouble of having a head milled and getting the timing back where it needs to be to run the best.

4eyedbox
09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I really wasn't attempting to bash on anyone. In reading the OP's question as it was written it really seemed like he was missing the boat as to how cams operate. The OP also cleared the fact that he already had upgraded valve train in a later post, something that would have been very beneficial to know up front and also saved on some confusion. I had no idea that he was attempting to ask if using hi-comp pistons along with cams would add more power, it really seemed that he was attempting to make sure he had the correct supporting mods for the cams.

And as far as the "hate hate hate" chit. Dude get real, I am not hating on anyone. I was attempting to help the guy gain some useful knowledge, which by the wording of his original post it seemed that he really needed.

9ussy
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I really wasn't attempting to bash on anyone. In reading the OP's question as it was written it really seemed like he was missing the boat as to how cams operate. The OP also cleared the fact that he already had upgraded valve train in a later post, something that would have been very beneficial to know up front and also saved on some confusion. I had no idea that he was attempting to ask if using hi-comp pistons along with cams would add more power, it really seemed that he was attempting to make sure he had the correct supporting mods for the cams.

And as far as the "hate hate hate" chit. Dude get real, I am not hating on anyone. I was attempting to help the guy gain some useful knowledge, which by the wording of his original post it seemed that he really needed.

got cha :goodjob:

DC2NR
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM

Thanks

Still don't get where as how you got the idea of me running a stock head. All I asked was if I needed higher compression pistons to get any good power. Never asked what was needed to run stage 2 cams. But thanks ...

End thread.

joseseclipse9
10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
u will make good power have a homeboy who had a skunk 2 setup

USDM CTR
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.skunk2.com/CookBook.php

IntegraXTR
11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
i would say go with ITR pistons.. i dont know.... hehe... man goin stage 2 cams? beast..

p73 pistons won't yield much compression in a b18c1 block and head, it should put you at about 10.5:1 or so. PR3 or p30 would yield higher which is suitable for pro2's. Also, milling the head and a 2 layer headgasket would bump you up as well. You can use an OEM headgasket and just take off the top layer which is the same thing as the mugen 2 layer.