PDA

View Full Version : Gas Station Shut Down for Price Gouging

chrisdavis
09-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Somewhere in Alphretta they were charging 4.99 a gallon for regular. They got shut down for it :goodjob:

IanHavok
09-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Yeah I hear its a $5000 fine for each incident, and if you take advantage of the elderly it's a $50000 fine. They had better hope no old people went to that gas station.

rolling_trip
09-01-2005, 07:54 AM
good, they should put the owners(or the one marking it up) on the pumps and make them fill every car that comes by

Tuan
09-01-2005, 08:29 AM
yeah someone needs to fine there ass or arrest them

rollin_hard
09-01-2005, 09:03 AM
over in marietta/smyrna gas was ranging from $4.05 for premium down to 2.89. what the hell is the story. all that freakin hype yesterday causing all sorts of stupid shit over nothing. relax people the gas is still there, its just not moving.

WTF..kebe
09-01-2005, 09:08 AM
LMAO at the people friggin out i'm glad i just bum rides at the moment shoot

Bajjani
09-01-2005, 09:10 AM
uhhh...well the fact that it isnt moving..causes it NOT to be there..you see..because its not moving...its still stuck in the same spot..which obviously isnt where it needs to be...get it?

rollin_hard
09-01-2005, 09:20 AM
uhhh...well the fact that it isnt moving..causes it NOT to be there..you see..because its not moving...its still stuck in the same spot..which obviously isnt where it needs to be...get it?

yeah I get it. you are one of the people freaked out by this. well obviously its not the problem EVERYONE said it is cause I can still get gas at the same price it was a week ago. enjoy your 4.00 per gallon. these GD radio stations (star94) don't help either. yesterday they were practically crying about it ON AIR! PLEASE ADD TO HYSTERIA IN A FORUM WHERE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE LISTENING. they should be fired. go join the sheep. me, I'll just stay put and enjoy a few nights at home.

chrisdavis
09-01-2005, 09:32 AM
I went out this morning to run some errands and almost all the gas stations that kept reasonable prices were out of gas. The highest I saw was 3.75 on Salem Rd in Conyers. The average on 138 right now is 3.15. I paid 3.12 at Kroger(got 3 cents off with my plus card). I paid 13 bucks for 4 gallons of gas to top off my truck, but it will get through till after next weekend when all this should be over

rollin_hard
09-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Question? now that Chrisdavis brought it up (although he wasn't trying) how long does everyone expect this to last?

HyPer50
09-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Eh, I'm just not gonna worry about it too much. As has been explained many times, it's not a SHORTAGE, just unable to get the supply here.. problem will be resolved and prices will drop.. So for the meantime, HyPer50 is parked and i'm driving the 40mpg Mirage. Hopefully won't have to fill up til after the weekend when they are saying the supply should be back to "normal".

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that 'price gouging' doesn't exist outside non-state-of-emergency areas?

Seriously. You charge what you think people will pay. If they don't, then you don't get any money. If this gas station felt that the demand necessitated raising the price to $4 a gallon, more power to them. Hell, I could even see them doing it to prevent a rush on their pumps and sucking them dry. Raise the price, demand goes down.

JoeCoolinATL
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah I hear its a $5000 fine for each incident, and if you take advantage of the elderly it's a $50000 fine. They had better hope no old people went to that gas station.

wrong.

its a 10000 fine for price gouging gas stations in the state of ga.
-according to Gov Perdue yesterday in his speech.

Bishop
09-01-2005, 02:53 PM
yeah I get it. you are one of the people freaked out by this. well obviously its not the problem EVERYONE said it is cause I can still get gas at the same price it was a week ago. enjoy your 4.00 per gallon. these GD radio stations (star94) don't help either. yesterday they were practically crying about it ON AIR! PLEASE ADD TO HYSTERIA IN A FORUM WHERE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE LISTENING. they should be fired. go join the sheep. me, I'll just stay put and enjoy a few nights at home.
Um yeah.....most of the gas stations by me are shut down....

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Um yeah.....most of the gas stations by me are shut down....

Possibly because they're out of gas. Which is, in part, because Purdue signed that stupid 'price gouging' executive order.

Bishop
09-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Possibly because they're out of gas. Which is, in part, because Purdue signed that stupid 'price gouging' executive order.
LOL yeah its cause they are outa gas....duh

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
LOL yeah its cause they are outa gas....duh

Hey, I'm not gonna assume anything. They could be playing twister in the back room or something.

IndianStig
09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Why the hell can't they charge what they want?? It is a fucking capitalist society!

Ask most gs station owners and they will tell your they make lees then 3cents on a gallon, alot work with like .5cents and so on. Thats besides the point though, the people were acting fucking crazy yesterday. They are a bunch of paniking pussies. They were coming in and getting gas in like 5 gallon kegs!! WTF???? If all you assholes would just go about normal business then nothing would have happened, the gas would be there, not one place would really have runout due to gas shortages, they can get deliveries from up noirth or other places. But it was like the fuckin domino effect, one bastard out there starts saying were gonna have a gas crisis, and the whole city fills up at one time, forcing everyone to go to the stations because they really will need to fill up in the next day or so and they can't because Bob over there came with 10 5 gallon kegs and took all the fucking gas.

The owners can raise prices as much as they fucking want to. If I were one of the gas station owners I would have gone to $5+ and controlled the goddamn crowd for the night then drop down after midight to regular prices.

Chicken Farmer made a decision out of his ass, it was like a fucking communist, the government should never be able to control haw much profit one person can make. If you don't like the stations that gouged, don't go to them, you are the consumer. But atleast they still have gas, I just saw QT at 3.34 and they were at 2.80 yesterday, but because they ranout overnight, they probably had to get a special delivery and paid more so now you paymore. BOOOHOOOOO.

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Why the hell can't they charge what they want?? It is a fucking capitolist society!

Ask most gs station owners and they will tell your they make lees then 3cents on a gallon, alot work with like .5cents and so on. Thats besides the point though, the people were acting fucking crazy yesterday. They are a bunch of paniking pussies. They were coming in and getting gas in like 5 gallon kegs!! WTF???? If all you assholes would just go about normal business then nothing would have happened, the gas would be there, not one place would really have runout due to gas shortages, they can get deliveries from up noirth or other places. But it was like the fuckin domino effect, one bastard out there starts saying were gonna have a gas crisis, and the whole city fills up at one time, forcing everyone to go to the stations because they really will need to fill up in the next day or so and they can't because Bob over there came with 10 5 gallon kegs and took all the fucking gas.

The owners can raise prices as much as they fucking want to. If I were one of the gas station owners I would have gone to $5+ and controlled the goddamn crowd for the night then drop down after midight to regular prices.

Chicken Farmer made a decision out of his ass, it was like a fucking communist, the government should never be able to control haw much profit one person can make. If you don't like the stations that gouged, don't go to them, you are the consumer. But atleast they still have gas, I just saw QT at 3.34 and they were at 2.80 yesterday, but because they ranout overnight, they probably had to get a special delivery and paid more so now you paymore. BOOOHOOOOO.

I can garauntee you that:

A) any gas station who was most expensive in their area still has gas, and
B) There were people this morning who could NOT find gas because prices were kept artificially low and the retarded myrmidons who were rushing the pumps put gas in everything that could hold liquid. If they put it up to $5 a gallon for 24-48 hours, the people who really NEEDED it could get it, and everyone else would begin rationing and budgeting appropriately, instead of mass hysteria.

Allstar3.8T
09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=tunerforlife]Why the hell can't they charge what they want?? It is a fu^&ing capitalist society!

Actually, No you cant. Not on a natural Gov regulated resource.
They sign an agreement allowing the gov to mandate sales, and taxing on the product. They are allowed a tollerance w/ in a pheasable range, but when it stirs panic, its a punishable crime...I heard of a store that had reg @ 8.99 a gallon. They are shut down, and not just fined.
This should piss us off, these people making a bad situation worse. Oh and Kerry making things any different?! , he couldnt have stopped Katrina from knocking power out of our only 2 Gulf supply lines...this isnt political, its what insurance refers to as an "act of God"
When 25% of our total supply is stopped cold, the week before one of the largest demand gas weekends in the year, and during a war...we are just gonna suffer, even if the new Pope was Pres.
Everyone relax, and buy gas as you NEED it...theres plenty left if you do.

IndianStig
09-01-2005, 03:26 PM
werd man.

They are being dumbasses. Now the people that need gas are having a hard time finding it because of the asshats of yesterday!!@!

IndianStig
09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Everyone relax, and buy gas as you NEED it...theres plenty left if you do.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Actually, No you cant. Not on a natural Gov regulated resource.They sign an agreement allowing the gov to mandate sales, and taxing on the product. They are allowed a tollerance w/ in a pheasable range, but when it stirs panic, its a punishable crime...I heard of a store that had reg @ 8.99 a gallon. They are shut down, and not just fined.

1) The entire concept of taxing and regulating price on a government 'regulated resource' is another bag of monkeys altogether.

2) The rise in gas prices didn't stir a panic, speculation on gas prices/availability stirred a panic, and because gas stations were prevented from regulating their own supply by raising prices, many of them ran out, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy for the consumer who panicked.

This should piss us off, these people making a bad situation worse.

Wrong. It only 'pisses us off' because all the average person would see is gas for 5-6 dollars a gallon, and he'd get mad, and whine to his local politician, who would then pass an executive order forbidding it, and get average joe to vote for him next election. Except now average joe can't find any goddamn gas because due to price restrictions, everyone rushed the pumps. Oops, well, at least Purdue got some extra voters.

Brett
09-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that 'price gouging' doesn't exist outside non-state-of-emergency areas?

Seriously. You charge what you think people will pay. If they don't, then you don't get any money. If this gas station felt that the demand necessitated raising the price to $4 a gallon, more power to them. Hell, I could even see them doing it to prevent a rush on their pumps and sucking them dry. Raise the price, demand goes down.

Thats what Neal Boortz was saying this morning

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Thats what Neal Boortz was saying this morning

Neal Boortz has a basic grasp of economic theory, which is more than I can say for Sunny Purdue. As usual, our politicians have done exactly the opposite of what's necessary, and exacerbated the problem in order to get more votes.

boosted1jz
09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I recently saw gas listed at $LOL for Regular, $OMG for midgrade, and $WTF for Premium.

PSINXS
09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
^ lmao!!

technoteg97
09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
several places in atlanta they were chargin well over $5 even $6 in some cases and they are going to be Fined by the Gov't

neontuner95
09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Somebody had told me they paid 5.00 a gallon for gas in Georgia I couldn't believe. Anyways here in North Louisiana gas is 2.79 at some places and I just heard from my neighbor that they are shuting down all gas stations up here for three days. This is gonna suck for those who have to work this week, makes me glad I took 2 weeks off and switch from driving my 16mpg suv to my avg 30mpg neon.

David88vert
09-01-2005, 06:49 PM
The commisioner basically made a statement this afternoon that no one is getting fined for price gouging. He can only go after them if they find them using bait-and-switch tactics or misadvertising the price. It was all over the news. So the stations that got paid are going to get away with it. Luckily, all my tanks were already topped off.

malfeas99
09-01-2005, 07:22 PM
The commisioner basically made a statement this afternoon that no one is getting fined for price gouging. He can only go after them if they find them using bait-and-switch tactics or misadvertising the price. It was all over the news. So the stations that got paid are going to get away with it. Luckily, all my tanks were already topped off.

You don't get it.

The stations that charged $5 a gallon didn't get 'paid', because there were stations selling it for much cheaper, so they got much less patronage.

However, I'll bet you a C-note they have gas in their holding tanks, which is what's important right now.

IndianStig
09-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Neal Boortz for governer, been listening to that mofo since I was 8, lol.

David88vert
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
You don't get it.

The stations that charged $5 a gallon didn't get 'paid', because there were stations selling it for much cheaper, so they got much less patronage.

However, I'll bet you a C-note they have gas in their holding tanks, which is what's important right now.

Actually, you don't get it. They were getting paid. There was a line of people paying that much for it. How many? How about more than 100 cars. They were backed up around a half mile - at just one station. They had a lot of Buford Hwy blocked also. Everyone was trying to get into stations to top off.

Of course there is gas in the holding tanks. People still panic though, and the station owners took advantage of it - and it was totally legal. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. Here's the press release from the commissioner:
http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_41734678,00.html

"Commissioner Irvin also reiterated that while the Georgia Department of Agriculture monitors the quality of gasoline and makes sure the proper amount is dispensed at the pump, the department has no authority to regulate the price of gasoline."