View Full Version : Del sol targa top leak problem

fininfarina
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I replaced del sol targa top last week

when its raining, leaking both side

What part I need to change??

SixSquared
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
If you replace the seals themselves, it will run you around $600. The seals are really expensive from Honda.

What I have done in the past is gone to the Honda dealership and asked for a product called HONDABOND. It's made especially for the del Sol tops... it's basically grease that you rub on the seals all the way around (on the targa top itself as well as on the A and B pillar seals). It'll run you about $8 from Honda.

twinj
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Damn that suck, I hate roof leaks. Main reason I got rid of mines

eYezs1ck
09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
damn sucks to be you.

RBS
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
get another targa top, hondabond will eventually leak for something that is easily removable

green91
09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
hondabond isnt made specifically for targa tops LOL!!

1SOL2NV
09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
i have 2 sets of seals ..that DO NOT LEAK ... pm me a REASONABLE offer .....they are expensive at honda but i have a pretty brand new set off a 97 del sol si ... only 1 year old . they jus got them replaced and then the car got wrecked ....

TaKashi
09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
hondabond isnt made specifically for targa tops LOL!!
Try jelly from a honeybun, it should work better.

Mr. Clean
09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
we should write honda and make it a recall and have them send us all new tops.

that's what i think.

1SOL2NV
09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
we should write honda and make it a recall and have them send us all new tops.

that's what i think. wont work .... they wont recall items for a old car like the sol . thats why THEY QUIT MAKING THE DEL SOL ... that and the fog lights being faulty ....

SixSquared
09-10-2008, 08:50 PM
wont work .... they wont recall items for a old car like the sol . thats why THEY QUIT MAKING THE DEL SOL ... that and the fog lights being faulty ....

Actually there's quite a few recalls out for Sols, and the weatherstripping WAS recalled... depending on your VIN you're eligible for it. My 94 DOHC VTEC had the stripping replaced under recall before I bought it. They also recalled A/C compressors... first thing I do whenever I get a new car is call the dealership with the VIN and see if there's any recalls out... you'd be pleasantly surprised to know what's out there for them. :D

5spdfrk
09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I thought it was just a TSB and not a recall.

osnap
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
wont work .... they wont recall items for a old car like the sol . thats why THEY QUIT MAKING THE DEL SOL ... that and the fog lights being faulty ....yeah, it had nothing to do with poor late sales figures (25,000 sold in 93 vs 5,000 sold in 97) and intense competition from the much better-selling miata :rolleyes:... cmon john, do you seriously think they stopped making the car because of a leaky top and "faulty fog lights"... especially when the MY96 and MY07 sols didnt even have aux? :lmfao:

anyways, sols are notorious for the targa leaking. the seals were redesigned in 95, but the issue wasnt completely resolved. i have a 94 VTEC model and luckily i haven't had an issue with my seals, knock on wood.

as for hondabond... ive heard it works, but the idea that it was designed for the del sol is just silly. its primarily a gasket sealant.