PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods opinion on cams

4doortypels
09-09-2008, 04:24 AM
i have stock gsr cams right now, looking for more torque and hp... thinking of stage 1 turbo cams from skunk2. i really dont want to upgrade valvetrain, just looking for a little more power. what do you guys think??

all-mota
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
skunk2 pro1's are great cams but would you need to have a good intake manifold and throttle body and upgrade the valve train to benefit from them.

if you wanna stay cheap and not make as much power, type r's or the cams you speak of will do.

patrick4588
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
you could just turn the boost up some

all-mota
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
you could just turn the boost up some

theres a even cheaper idea

4doortypels
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
have a bbk 73mm intake witha port matached TB... i am currently making 428 @ 18 psi, wanting to do 20 or 21. have 9.0 cp pistons eagle rods block guard, griddle. tunned on s200 by ed at balanced. i am wanting 475, and a want some more torque and a quicker spool. its tunned a little rich due the temps and ethanol added to gas. with a leaner tune and 3 more psi should bring me up close to 485 hp w/out cams. cams hoping for 500whp.

IOnlyLookStock
09-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Idea: Buy a real car... Like a GM. :)

josh green
09-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Type R cams are going to be your best bet. I wouldnt recommend PRO1's in anything that isnt a race car. Unless your street car is making 650+, even still I would probably only run the Type R's.

B18c1Turboed
09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Type R cams are going to be your best bet. I wouldnt recommend PRO1's in anything that isnt a race car. Unless your street car is making 650+, even still I would probably only run the Type R's.:stupid: yup!!

patrick4588
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
well **** i was about order some pro1's for mine. what is so terrible about them for a daily?

B18c1Turboed
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
well **** i was about order some pro1's for mine. what is so terrible about them for a daily?

For daily driver will cause alot of damage on valvetrain... Type r cams are perfect for daily driven cars!!!

Quoted by a well known tuner

The skunk2 tuner series stage 1 cams work really really well. They are a bit bigger than the itr/ctr, make about 20-30whp more, are easy on the valve train (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2315276#)/rockers (which alot of people dont take into consideration) and have stock idle/drivability and usually require no cam gear adjustments (as long as block/head have not been milled severely). The stage 1s seem to work well with turbos as small as the gt28rs and larger (just used them on a s372 and picked up ridiculous power over gsr's)

The skunk2 tuner series stage 2 cams work well from the two cars that i have used them on. Picked up 70whp over itr/ctr cams at higher boost levels. Are a bit harder on valvetrain/rocker wear, have stock idle and drivability. I would not run these for anything less than a gt35r sized turbo.

The skunk2 pro 1 cams are great. They need to be degreed in to idle/work properly. These cams usually pick up a little more midrange than the tuner series in boost (i.e make the turbo spool a little sooner). The idle/drivabilty is a bit harsher than stock, but once degreed and tuned its not that bad. Valvetrain wear is not bad with them either. I have seen gains of 40-50whp over itr/ctr cams with them. The pro 1s seem to work well in gt35r + sized turbos.

The skunk2 pro 2 cams are I feel too large for a turbo application. I have tested them on gt42r/s372 sized turbos and lost power over the itr/ctr cams. There was significant midrange gains with them compared to the itr/ctr cams, but there was about 60-70 whp peak power loss. The cams were degreed into the engines properly. When picking a cam, think about valvetrain wear and seat pressure. Alot of the aftermarket springs do not have the seat pressure to run a higher lift all motor cam, as well as 20-40 psi of boost pressure. Also, the biggest cam does not always work. Its a compromise. I have been using skunk2 products for awhile now, and I would not even think about using another companies cams for the b or h series engines. The reliability, durability and power are awesome.
http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emthup.gif

boosted91rex
09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
i got a stock gsr and i like the pro1 cams and springs in it

bRiAnMcIvIcS
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
ITR/CTR would probably be your best bet.You might wanna upgrade your valvetrain also.:goodjob:

IOnlyLookStock
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey Cole I did a little research and ya type R cams would be pretty pimp in the Teg. Those skunk 2 cams will wear down the valve train really bad after some good mileage so they are only intended for cars that are track only or for people who don't care about price of rebuilding a head.

take dramA elsewhere!!!

B18c1Turboed
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I got a nice fully built type r head ill sell!

blackshine007
09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I edited it myself to keep drama off the forums. Let's just let it be clear that I'm no E thug.

4doortypels
09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
why is everyone so against aftermarket cams??? thinking of upping the valve springs and retainers etc to accomidate for a larger cam... looking for more power. i know im not making enough power for an ITR. but i am wanting more power low mid and on the top side... not looking to rev over 9k

josh green
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
why is everyone so against aftermarket cams??? thinking of upping the valve springs and retainers etc to accomidate for a larger cam... looking for more power. i know im not making enough power for an ITR. but i am wanting more power low mid and on the top side... not looking to rev over 9k
Some of us are speaking from experience. Get the type r cams, people have had no problems making over 800whp on them before people tried the pro 1's. We are not against aftermarket cams, just stating what's best for your application. Type r's are good for any turbo application. You would probably reach your 500 goal with just the cams degreed in.

patrick4588
09-11-2008, 10:47 AM
the tuner stage 1's would work it looks like. if you want something bigger than itr's, they may be your best bet

4doortypels
09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
and are compatible with stock valvetrain

the tuner stage 1's would work it looks like. if you want something bigger than itr's, they may be your best bet

patrick4588
09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
you still have stock valvetrain? swap this shiz yo