PDA

View Full Version : I Just Hydrolocked my engine

Specsteve
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I just recently moved to OK City and was driving home from work tonight in a pretty good amount of rain, but nothing that I did not feel comfortable driving in. I turned onto a road that is not well lit, and occastionally dips down slightly (which I did not realize until now) I went over the first dip which scared the fucck outta me so I came off the gas and put the car in neutral. I proceeded to keep driving slowly (which I now deeply regret) and came up on another dip that was not as bad as the first, and then BAM. No actual noise or anything from the motor, but the engine immediatly cut out and all my dash lights came on. Heres where I fuccked up again, I tried to start the car not realizing how bad that can be on a hydrolocked motor...so now I am pretty much screwed from what I understand.

My car is an '05 Nissan Sentra Se-r Spec V that is fully bolted, and as you guessed with a CAI. I cant believe this happened. Im speechless right now not because I was in love with my car, but financially this is the absolute worst time that this could have happened, and Ive got a good amount of money in mods too.

Does anyone have any input on what my best route would be? Would you try and fix it? Get a new motor put in? Sell as is? Also, does anyone know if my insurance company will cover this? I have full coverage so they might...Im with State Farm.

I am so fuccking pissed off right now, any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Barefoot
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
im not sure if insurance cover that or not. if they do let them handle it. if not i would replace the motor out of pocket. as long as the body and is still worth it.

Turbodude06
09-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I think they may cause I almost bought an 02 civic that this same thing happened to, they gave him a new motor and all, but they totalled his car out......

seanrg1116
09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
most Insurance doest cover drivetrain.

Sorry dude

green91
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Pull the plugs and turn it over... theres a chance (slim) your engine may be ok.

silversol
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Pull the plugs and turn it over... theres a chance (slim) your engine may be ok.
x2

eViLMunkey
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
that's the main reason you never go w/ a Cold Air (Water) Intake... I know it's too late to be telling you this, but you always have to watch out for puddles w/ those things... but yes pull plugs and see if it tries to turn over

G.C
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
hope your insurance company will cover it.

RL...
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
yea good luck

I have a cai and I try to avoid driving in the rain as much as possible

Black4DrEK
09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
should'a Got a BYPASS VALVE!!! sorry to hear that.. GL to you and the spec-v:goodjob:

ps. FUCC THE RAIN!!!!!!

JITB
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
They coudl cover it, A friend of mine did the same thing. And got a estimate from a shop, and they called the shop to confirm what happeend to the car etc. And BAM 800$ for a new Motor! Luckily they didnt come and check the car out, and see the CAI.. but id suggest putting it back to stock in case they decide to.

E=MC˛
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
My brother did this to his 05 civic 3 months after he bought it. insurance fixed it. im not sure how he talked them into it but all he paid was the deduc of 500. gl

redrumracer
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
yea sometimes insurance will cover that, it depends on what you have.

EDIT: if your insurance does replace it, then keep the old motor and build the **** outta the spare.

Tech5
09-10-2008, 03:02 AM
:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
most Insurance doest cover drivetrain.

Sorry dude

Kourt
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
My car did that once. It started long enough to get to my friends house and died again (not even a mile) I let it sit a few mins then held the clutch and gas all the way down, it started up and ran fine after that. Guess I got lucky, but good luck with the insurance thing, some places are cool about it, depends on the agent.

Turbodude06
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
They coudl cover it, A friend of mine did the same thing. And got a estimate from a shop, and they called the shop to confirm what happeend to the car etc. And BAM 800$ for a new Motor! Luckily they didnt come and check the car out, and see the CAI.. but id suggest putting it back to stock in case they decide to.

X2:goodjob:

EG6
09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I'd talk to an insurance agent that you arent affiliated with and see what they would say from an agents standpoint. If you get the green light from them run it by a shop and get an estimate-then get that forwarded to state farm. Sucky situation but life is about learning from mistakes.

And you should try what they said earlier; pull the plugs and turn it over!

GL

tubby
09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
x2
X3

NewGen33
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
This is the first thing I would do. People do it all the time off roading when they hydro lock. GL and welcome to Oklahoma where you will experience some of the most random weather.