PDA

View Full Version : alternator belt question

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 08:24 PM
i have a d16 and just got a UR underdrive pulley. can i use the same alt. belt or do i have to buy another one? and if i have to buy another one does anyone know the specs by chance? i have no ps or ac so those belts dont matter. reps for help!!!

Tech5
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry man you would have to get another belt...What you can do is take your old one an try to install it, and then measure how much shorter you need

Example alternato belt is a
K4 420
but you need it 3 inchs short then you would need a
K4 390

K4 is width
the 420 is length....if you need it .5 inch short then it would be
K4 415

Hope this helps

BTW you could check with there website too, and they usually will tell you there also!

i have a d16 and just got a UR underdrive pulley. can i use the same alt. belt or do i have to buy another one? and if i have to buy another one does anyone know the specs by chance? i have no ps or ac so those belts dont matter. reps for help!!!

Barefoot
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
^^^dats right

BTEC
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
props to tech 5 for the info. same thing i had to do.

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
yeah i went out and looked at it and i didnt realize how much bigger the stock pulley is. wow. yeah a stock belt is a 305k4, so i will measure and see. thanks tech 5. also does this underdrive pulley yield much power? if so is it more low end or top end?

Tech5
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
to be honest anything to make the motor have less resistriction gains power, Just dont never ever ever ever get a light crank puller, I seen them bust oil pumps to shltt!

your not going to gain 10 hp but maybe 1hp or so ..it will rev faster an all

BTEC
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
so u think my UR race pulley is what made the screws back out of my oil pump? Lol!! engine way making HELLA noise so i was like, maybe i should take it out b4 i really fuk something up. oil light took forever to go off (would blink until car got warm). check the oil pump the other day and i could take the screw out by hand.

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
well i got an UR underdrive that weight 1.39 lbs compared to like 6.5 lbs stock...will it hurt my oil pump like your saying?

BTEC
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
well i got an UR underdrive that weight 1.39 lbs compared to like 6.5 lbs stock...will it hurt my oil pump like your saying?
sounds like we got the same pulley. im not 100% sure thats what did it but ive heard ppl talking bad about getting lightweight pulleys. mostly hear it messes up bearings though, not oil pump. :dunno:

i say u should run urs and let me know if u run into the same problem i did. LOL!!!! j/k

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
heh. now im skeptical...

BTEC
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
it crossed my mind but i ran it ne way bc i paid 200 for the thing. built engine, ran it boosted for like 2 or 3 yrs. i didnt have time get a new oil pump bc the one that was in the car started knocking or BANGING so i had to throw it the rest of he way together in one night and use the old pump. that couldve been my problem.

redoing that engine right now and ill prolly run that pulley again, fuggit. but thats just how i do. i live for r & d.

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
well i will try it...see how it goes. i can but a d16 for a nickel these days anyway

BTEC
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
well i will try it...see how it goes. i can but a d16 for a nickel these days anyway
just make sure u pay attention to the way ur engine sounds and make sure r oil light works right. other than that, good luck to us both. lmao!!!

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
great..now im going to be riding down the road and im gonna say to my g/f, "shhh!!! you hear that?" every 5 min and she gonna think im on some effin acid or somethin...

Tech5
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Crank pulleys OEm has rubber to help stop some harmfull vibration, when you go to a light crank pulley like those Ultra light from UR they dont have a Rubber balancer in them, so all that harmfull vibration is going threw the engine causing serious issues, Oil pump is critical when going to the light crank pulley, if you want a light pulley if you have a B series...Use CTR or ITR they still have the Rubber but yet is light!

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
wow, wish i would have known this...

BTEC
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
great..now im going to be riding down the road and im gonna say to my g/f, "shhh!!! you hear that?" every 5 min and she gonna think im on some effin acid or somethin...
lol!! nah, mine sounded like ultimate sh!t. especially when it started up so if the pulley is what messed up my oil pump YOULL KNOW. plus ur oil light will be staying on or flickering like mine pretty much telling you ur oil pressure is low. thats IF the pulley is what caused it in the first place. either way im throwing it back on with a new one this time, and keeping my eye on the light and getting a gauge. Not gonna be my daily so what im hoping the car turns out to be, im gonna need to be able to accuratley monitor the vitals of the mini beast.

Tech5
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Its been a fact for many many years now...Google it

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:38 PM
wow. just trying to free up some more power out of the single cam...

BTEC
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Crank pulleys OEm has rubber to help stop some harmfull vibration, when you go to a light crank pulley like those Ultra light from UR they dont have a Rubber balancer in them, so all that harmfull vibration is going threw the engine causing serious issues, Oil pump is critical when going to the light crank pulley, if you want a light pulley if you have a B series...Use CTR or ITR they still have the Rubber but yet is light!
never considered the ctr/itr bc from a glance it didnt look like they had the rubber either. bought this one like 7yrs ago. hmmm

Tech5
09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
If you want to free up some power , throw the POS pulleys away an get Boost! Nitrous with your D16Z6 it can hold 50 shot all day ! retard timing 2 degrees an boost 75 shot once in a blue moon, maybe only on weekends

Or 7 lbs tune turbo boost would wake it up!

Or B series

Or Killer H22

Or Money time K series!

Best of luck hope I helped

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
well i wanna stay N/A as its my DD

BTEC
09-08-2008, 10:55 PM
you can have a boosted dd. just dnt get crap parts or push it to the limit. a good tuner should be able to keep ur mpg up.

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
yeah well i might plan on that soon

hondaxpurt
09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
check this out guys http://http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.aspx#section2

BTEC
09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
took a type r crank pulley off a friends engine tonight and there is no rubber in it either. so wtf does that mean? who knows...

Tech5
09-10-2008, 01:57 AM
thats because they are fully balanced! for high revs

BTEC
09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
...Use CTR or ITR they still have the Rubber but yet is light!
so they DNT have rubber. i had my UR race pulley balanced at the machine shop along with my clutch and flywheel and bottom end.