PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Can somebody answer me a stupid question?

flak_monkey
09-07-2008, 02:45 PM
A lot of the import guys do this. It seems like they have a tire that is too small on a rim that is too big, so the end result looks like a sphincter muscle pushing out chrome.

Now I come from the other side of things, big american engines and whatnot and am not familiar with this practice or what it's called or why it is done. Is there a reason besides aesthetics?

In the muscle car world, we cram the biggest tires we can fit on our cars to give more contact and get the tires to hook.

So somebody school me. What's the deal?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/Vsept08-23.jpg

LeX
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
there is one reason that lots of the import cars don't have that much space under the fenders and in order to run wider wheels that may not be available in a smaller size, they have to resort to smaller tires that aren't going to hit the fender under suspension compression.

Then again perhaps others just do it for the looks or 'style'

flak_monkey
09-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah I guess that makes sense.

yogi08
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Its called "the stretch look" with the tires stretched it puts an angle on the tires, that way when i am to hit a railroad track or something my fender doesnt **** up, my tire doesnt bust, etc. when i go to the track ill set my camber more, and wheni leave ill have less camber.

chaseamundo
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Its called "the stretch look" with the tires stretched it puts an angle on the tires, that way when i am to hit a railroad track or something my fender doesnt **** up, my tire doesnt bust, etc. when i go to the track ill set my camber more, and wheni leave ill have less camber.

good job man...you tought me something

jdm>usdm
10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I read about this somewhere..... i cant remeber where though..... somthing about how drifters use it because its easier to break loose the tires when theyre stretched out like that.

caseyfoster
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
It stiffens the sidewall, makes it easier to break traction drifting

Fr33way
10-08-2008, 12:19 AM
^^^ Those are both dumb. LOL

yogi08
10-08-2008, 12:23 AM
no... streched tires got nothing to d o with drifting. negative camber is easier to break loose.

jdm>usdm
10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
no... streched tires got nothing to d o with drifting. negative camber is easier to break loose.

^^^ Those are both dumb. LOL

http://driftjapan.com/blog/car-part...ri-style-tires/ (http://driftjapan.com/blog/car-parts/drifting-hipari-style-tires/) :taun:

yungdz
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
just looks like a low profile tire for looks to me? :thinking:

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean. I prefer oversized tires for better grip personally

jwrape
10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I come from the same Old school Muscle cars era as well. My Mustangs were all staggered and WIDE in the rear end. When I had to go to Imports for MPG I wanted to stagger my Integra but soonfound that there JUST isn't enough room under the fenders to even fit a 8" wide wheel under thereunless i run a lot of negative Camber and VERY stretched tires. So if I wanted a staggered or a wheel with a lip on my car i would have to stretch my tires to fit under my fenders.
I settled for the normal 7" wide wheels and will eventually run a 205/50/16 tire to fit as much under there as possible. Still wish i could fit a 8" in the rear because ANY car just looks better staggered in my opinion... But that's the Muscle car guy in me.

flak_monkey
10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I rolled my fenders the other day. I'm glad I can fit a 305 18 if I needed to.

Going with 295's out back, staggered 17 and 18 five spoke c5's

87 Turbo II
10-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I am with you. Stretched looks bad to me. I still stuff the widest rubber I can under my Rx-7's fend3ers. It's currently 205s, but I'm gonig to try and make it up to 225s next.

Brown Man
10-14-2008, 10:47 AM
in the VW world. they do it so that they can run a wide rim but still tuck tire. (also with other cars)

3 words to live by when u own a vw streatched, poke, and dumped

here is a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/aok7387/H2Oi%202008/IMG_5513copy.jpg

AnthonyF
10-14-2008, 11:25 AM
good job man...you tought me something

I guess not the correct spelling of "taught."

But Yogi is right. It's to clear the fender so a lowered stance is achieved w/o damaging the tires.

-Ant.

The BUCKY
10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
that tire isnt stretched its just the rim guard on it that makes it look like that. its a 205 on a 7" wheel. which is the right size for it. the same size tire, diff brand, on that wheel looked normal

LIKEG6
10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
my choice of tire sizes for my cars is:

205/50/15
215/40/16
215/45/17

For the record I hate 205/40/17

But ya gotta have the lower sidewall for slammed cars like everyone else is sayin

The BUCKY
10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
yea no way i could run a 215 on my car in front. i have some on there right now and it rubs just sitting there. it is a 7.5" wheel though

Tensa_Zanget
11-13-2008, 11:33 PM
man those are some nice rims flak!

Ol' Gregg
11-15-2008, 06:46 PM
ummmm dumb thread. bucky your tires are far from stretched

speedminded
11-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Two reasons for it, function and style. It allows the car to be lower while keeping the outside of the wheel flush with the fender. Without stretching the tire you would have to run a narrower wheel and/or a higher offset wheel enabling it to fit up inside the fender, that might look ok on bagged mini-trucks but not on cars you want an aggressive stance on.

Stretching the tire also makes the sidewall more rigid, which can be both good and bad. In drifting it may allow smoother transitions but it can also make the car's handling less predictable. Just like stiffing up the rear sway on a car, lower profile/stiffer tires reduce body roll and any warning the car is coming around. In a controlled environment, on the track, etc. that's perfect but not always on a street car where unpredictable circumstances occur.

I come from the same Old school Muscle cars era as well. My Mustangs were all staggered and WIDE in the rear end. When I had to go to Imports for MPG I wanted to stagger my Integra but soonfound that there JUST isn't enough room under the fenders to even fit a 8" wide wheel under thereunless i run a lot of negative Camber and VERY stretched tires. So if I wanted a staggered or a wheel with a lip on my car i would have to stretch my tires to fit under my fenders.
I settled for the normal 7" wide wheels and will eventually run a 205/50/16 tire to fit as much under there as possible. Still wish i could fit a 8" in the rear because ANY car just looks better staggered in my opinion... But that's the Muscle car guy in me.Staggered wheels on a FWD? Why would you want to promote understeer and bad handling?

no... streched tires got nothing to d o with drifting. negative camber is easier to break loose.Negative camber just means a smaller contact patch for underpowered cars to drift. :doh:

§treet_§peed
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
from what i know, one reason is because i sorta protects the rim if you slightly braze a curb or other object. another is because we are limited to space so we deal. another is you actually want a smaller side wall to a point for better stiffness for handling. the trick is not getting to stiff or you will "drift". and one of the most popular and non benefiting reasons is for looks.

§treet_§peed
11-16-2008, 03:03 PM
listen to speed minded he knows what he is talking about. he helped me get wheels and tire for my old civic, with stock suspension just getting is advice helped my car a shit load with handling better in the mountains. even with mostly stock suspension. well i had front a rear strut tower bars, lower rear brace bar, most of the bushings replaced. was saving for a skunk2 coilover kit but i sold the car instead lol.

slimm
11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
that stretched tire shit is stupid. if you roll your fenders, that usually fixes any problems with the tire rubbing the fender.