PDA

View Full Version : Misc My attempt to change lifestyles...

Blitanicle99
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
So finally after thinking about this for long enough, I finally have a decent plan to get slowly where I wanna get. However, sometimes theres things I don't know about that I might be doing wrong, thus I put up this thread.

In a nutshell, I been doing construction since I was 17. Only 3 years, but done enough to be a privite contractor myself and know how to do most of the stuff in construction. Well, that led me to the current job I have now. I work for a HUGE roofing company based out of Ohio and its great money. All the other sales reps have college degrees, and the new guys getting hired are required to also. Somehow I got myself into this job without one. So yay for me.

I go to school 14 hours a week, and work another 60ish about 6 days a week. My life is pretty busy minus my day off... Sunday. My major is construction management but I have decieded to change majors. What I have realized is that most of the guys working in this business don't have a degree, just experiance.

So, I am changing to business. Probably international business. German was my first langauge, so the international part hopefully will play a good role.

My plan was to work for this company for another year, till next fall semester, then take a semester abroad in Germany. Then when I came back, I was going to try and get on the sales team for Global BMW or somewhere similiar. I believe with my sales experiance already I could do very well. I was going to try to get with Global because the company that owns them is apparently one of the best money making "mega-companies" or corporations in the world.

My true passion is cars, my work has brought me to construction. For now, I like it, but I know it will get old one of these days. I am really not doing this job for the money, I am doing it because of what it will say on my Resume.

Anyways.
Cliff notes:
1. Current Roofing Sales men in construction management major.
2. Switching to International Business, studying abroad the coming fall semester.
3. After study abroad, attempt to get with Global BMW sales team.
4. Hopefully get transferred to Germany and work for BMW there.

Suggestions? Comments?

Please keep the negative ones to a minimum. Thanks..

FasTech
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
You wanna live in Germany?!?!? Ok, not much of a comment there, but I'm not much for living somewhere besides my home state...Thats just me, now its kinda cool I guess...Are you wanting to live there for the rest of your life??? I couldn't do it...lol But good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Blitanicle99
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
You wanna live in Germany?!?!? Ok, not much of a comment there, but I'm not much for living somewhere besides my home state...Thats just me, now its kinda cool I guess...Are you wanting to live there for the rest of your life??? I couldn't do it...lol But good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yeah. I have lots of family there. Theres a lot of things different in Europe that I wanted to experiance. And I don't know how long id stay. However long I feel like staying?

Red_Phoenix
09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I lived in Germany for almost 2 years and loved it. AS far as your plan I think it sounds great. The only think I think you should get more information on is working for BMW there. WhileI was living there a friend of mine was wanting to work for them and he had to do 3 years of apprentanship (spelling???) before being able to qualify to work for them. That may not apply to you at all but I would definitly check it out before I put your plan into action. Other then that you are still young so you've got some room to change plans if all doesn't turn out like you like:D. Good Luck!

alpine_aw11
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Definitely go study abroad. I almost got a scholarship to do it, but a really good friend of mine edged me out and got it. It's a great experience, and on top of that it will greatly help you out in the future regarding a job. International business regarding working with German companies is a great field, should be able to get an awesome job if you pursue it. Definitely go for it.

T.C.
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
your plan sounds good and living and working abroad is just cool. There is nothing like experiencing other cultures

EJ25RUN
09-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I meet a guy living in Germany currently and he said it is terrible to own a car there because you have to pay for parking.....ALWAYS. Even at your house.

redrumracer
09-23-2008, 11:01 PM
the only thing about getting a job in Germany from what i have seen or really anywhere in Europe is that they are not like America where every tom dik and harry can get a job that is not a citizen from over there. Ive been looking at possibly trying to get a job with Lufthansa, the only thing i have to do is learn the language. Im a German Citizen and dont even speak the language.