PDA

View Full Version : SCCA question..

HachiDori
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm about to put my car all together and I am waiting for the SCCA rule book.

Now, The question I have is a USDM converted RHD scca legal?

I have found this online about firewall modifications:

• To not modify the firewall to accomadate suspension components

And that is it....

Now, this is something I need to find out soon, Since my car is just waiting to be put back together.

Any help or further information is greatly appreciated...... :D

matthewAPM
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm about to put my car all together and I am waiting for the SCCA rule book.

Now, The question I have is a USDM converted RHD scca legal?

I have found this online about firewall modification:

• To not modify the firewall to accomadate suspension components

And that is it....

Now, this is a something I need to find out soon, Since my car is just waiting to be put back together.

Any help or further information is greatly appreciated...... :D

NOT LEGAL! you can run in modified but nothing else. there was a big discussion on soloatlanta.com about this and the answer is modifed class. are you RHD??

Elbow
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Autocross? Or road racing?

HachiDori
09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Road racing. One of my older friends is getting me more into competition racing and he said I'd be running in p2? along with rx7's? Not too sure, I have to join the SCCA first but this would have been a big setback.

I'm not RHD, I was going to convert But It will be sr20det regardless or being rhd or not..

What would you translate Modified class being?

I have got to get the rule book, I have so many question but I don't want to blow any one up. I was told I could download the Rule book on scca.com but could not find a link.

If you know of a Pdf version please send me a link!

Thanks for the help guys!

Elbow
09-07-2008, 09:11 AM
P2? Never heard of it in SCCA.

Put it this way, with the SR and other mods you will be in a class you have no chance of winning in ;) lol. But if you just want to have fun go for it.

Most 240's in SCCA use KA's. Even the fully blown tube frame GT 240's still use KA24E's not DE's. S14 tube framed cars even use KA24E.

There is a PDF rule book on SCCA's website. DEF. check it out NOW. Also look, because your cage might have to be built differently for whatever class your car will be in.

Give me your specs and I can tell you your class or pretty close.

By the way you have to do a LOTTTTT more then just join the SCCA first. :)

matthewAPM
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Well if it had the stock KA in it, it would be ITA legal. A FB RX7 runs in ITA. I think (dont quote me) that a SR is in a GT3 class?? Either way, SR is not the way to go if you are road racing. i know that sounds dumb, but it makes it a car in between classes. its to much for IT class and not enough for a GT class.

I believe what he was saying a FD runs in T2. Which is a stock class. OR, he is talking about a different series such as NASA or Time Attack.

Do you have your road racing license yet? Ever done a track event before? Just curious is to what your background is.

Elbow
09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
To my knowledge SR is not even GT legal...

You are looking at some fun class like SPU or ITU.

HachiDori
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd be doing it for fun, nothing serious. I know I have to go to racing school to get a license, but I'm being guided with all the other stuff. Guess I'll just endup building another 240 later down the road. Thanks 4 the input guys!

I don't have any track experience, I'd be starting as a true noob, but it soundslike fun and I can learn alot

dazn
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
To my knowledge SR is not even GT legal...

You are looking at some fun class like SPU or ITU.

definitely SPU. depending on turbo, maybe even SPO. you would get murdered in either class.
the way you are building it, your best bet is NASA time trials or just trackdays.

HachiDori
09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
lol^

Thanks, I'm not saying im going to be roadracing 247 but I'd be nice to go out to an actual track.

Blitanicle99
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Actually Ive seen SR20 S14s at track events. I saw one at Summit Point it was a black Top running Modified class.

Elbow
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
^lol.....

wtf is modified class? autocross?

Thighs
09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
^ hes talking about the mad jdm tyme attack!!!

and to the OP, if you arent trying to get into serious competitive racing and just want to drive on a road course, why not build the car how you want and do PDX/HPDE and track days?

Sport1.3
09-11-2008, 01:09 PM
2008 SCCA Rule book in PDF

Solo

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf

Club Racing

http://www.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf

2008 NASA

Time trials

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Time-Trial-Rules.pdf

General Rule book

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

matthewAPM
09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
^^ thats solo :doh:

Sport1.3
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
^^ thats solo :doh:

i posted both....i didnt read the thread fully :D

matthewAPM
09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
NASA= FAIL IMO

Everything you need is in the GCR book

Sport1.3
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
NASA= FAIL IMO

Everything you need is in the GCR book

they both contain some entertianing series...i honestly think his best bet for fun factor vs competition would be in NASA TT ....that is after he is licensed of course

Sport1.3
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
though i would listen to matthew more so than myself, he has plenty of actual road racing experience both himself and within his family

matthewAPM
09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
though i would listen to matthew more so than myself, he has plenty of actual road racing experience both himself and within his family

haha. thanks.

I mean if you want to be in a series with competition on a road course with a car like yours, id go TT. If you just want to get out on the track, have fun, and not worry about winning or losing, do HPDE's and PDX's. (simon, u will lose the ARRC PDX:lmfao:). If you dont want to worry about wrecking your car, run autocross. If you ask me, the competition is better in solo2 then ANY race series I've been in. Road racing is going to be the most expensive but to me, the most fun. Instead of blowing all your money to boost your 240, why not keep it like it is and daily drive it, and then buy an IT or SM race car. You can get them for really cheap. Then go to Robeling Road in Feb. and run the racing school to get your license.

Elbow
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Don't run NASA, I have gone back and forth getting my feet wet, everytime I get around a NASA event I get blown away. No offense, it's just like SCCA= F1...NASA=local dirt track. They just aren't as proffesional and well put together like the SCCA. A SCCA driver told me SCCA is where you race, NASA is where you have fun. Depends on what you want to do I guess.

PDX is a GREAT bang for the buck.

The ARRC PDX will be a interesting venue. News release:
-------------
The 2008 SCCA ARRC (American Road Race of Champions) will hold the weekends top event Sunday; the ARRC PDX. Simon Tibbett and Matthew Brueck, both Georgia residents will be going head to head in the years most anticipated battle.

Matthew driving a ITR prepped BMW will be going door to door against Simon's ITA Miata.

"I am going to give it my all, last event of the SCCA season, if I have to spend the winter replacing body parts that's fine, at least I tried." Simon said laughing.

The PDX championship will be decided Sunday at the end of the "quiet time."

-------------------

dazn
09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
NASA is definitely not near as professional as SCCA, but they have some really good ideas and hopefully eventually they will work out their kinks. but with his car, thats really his only hope. Running SPU would be worse than running with NASA I think. And he can also use their HPDE program to slowly move up to wheel to wheel since he has no experience. I havnt run a PDX or know anyone who has, but from what I can, its not worth the money when you can run a whole HPDE day.

Elbow
09-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I run PDX, it's $100 for 40 minutes, NASA is like what $400 for a lot of BS. I did HPDE, will never do it again.

StraightSix
09-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I run PDX, it's $100 for 40 minutes, NASA is like what $400 for a lot of BS. I did HPDE, will never do it again.

NASA's not that expensive for HPDE. Our most expensive event is Road Atlanta and it's still less than $400 to enter. Plus, you get about 2 hours track time for the weekend, which means a driver will actually have enough time to really learn the track and get comfortable with technique. What kind of BS are you referring to exactly?

I'll admit NASA-SE had it's fair share of growing pains in the early days of the region, but things have improved.

IMO, I think it's a terrible idea to recommend that someone go do a three day SCCA license school. The student doesn't actually get enough time to learn how to drive the car, because there are a lot of things that one just can't learn about racing in three days. We had an incident at Road Altanta in August that a "Three day wonder" caused and it tore up three racecars. Oh, and said three day wonder....had already wrecked his other racecar...so a total of four cars by one driver. The other two drivers in that incident had risen though the HPDE ranks and were trying to avoid the guy.

Anyway, there are things that SCCA does well, and thier driver's education program isn't one of them.

Elbow
09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
^What three day thing are you reffering to? To get your competition license you have to go to that school, or something like Skip Barber.

I guess the difference between track days and driver education is the instructing. Chin = track days. PDX & HPDE = driver education.

I will say SCCA PDX when I had an insturctor was 100x better then my experiences with NASA. Not to mention one instructor with NASA kept telling me about his Porsche race car versus giving me tips or anything in my HONDA CIVIC. lol.

The way NASA is ran just scares me away no offense really. HPDE is great to get your feet wet. But just the format of the weekend, the communication, all is just frantic.

Like I said no offense, just voicing my opinion from experience. Other might be different I mean I have seen and heard good things from NASA. I just personally stay away.

matthewAPM
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
If you ask me, you will learn more at a PDX than any other track event. And bang for the buck.... If you work the weekend...its free.

StraightSix
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm curious how a PDX, which is two 20 minute sessions is going to teach lessons that stick? There's just not enough track time for the student to learn a technique and then put into practice so that it becomes habit.

Elbow
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
^Yes there is, if you are good and catch on you can improve within the first like ten laps. :)