PDA

View Full Version : Heated Floors? WTF!

psycho_freke
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm having an issue with heat coming from my floorboard underneath the stereo/shifter area. It's making my feet really hot and I'm sick of it! I've noticed that the floor vent never goes all the way off, but it's not blowing hot air. There is definitely heat radiating from the floorboard. All I can come up with is that it must be coming from my exhaust somehow. The engine is not overheating and the heat shield near the shifter under the car is in place. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing my problem and what to do about it?

Revmaynard
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I thought you meant like bathrooms. I was gonna post about my dads bathroom with heated floors. But nvm. And I have no clue as to the initial post. Sorry. LOL

psycho_freke
09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I thought you meant like bathrooms. I was gonna post about my dads bathroom with heated floors. But nvm. And I have no clue as to the initial post. Sorry. LOL

LOL nah, I wouldn't be posting that in general tech :lmfao:

Deke
09-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Has it always been a problem? I have a friend that drives a Blazer and heat has always radiated from the engine bay/under the car into the feet area.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust or something that doesn't have a heat shield/wrap?

psycho_freke
09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes, I have a 4-2-1 Greddy Stainless header with a magnaflow high flow cat that I installed a few months ago and whatever cat-back system the car had on it when I bought it. I don't know if it's always been a problem because I haven't had the car that long. You think some of that heat wrap from the parts store around the header and possibly the cat may help? If I'm not mistaken, I do believe the area I'm feeling the heat at is about where the cat sits. The car does have a heat shield there, though.

twinj
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
My civic was doing that. After I had it Converted from auto to manual(An extra opening was cut and never used). Try riding with the windows up for a minute, and see if it stays at a normal temp. Then crack window/roof and see if it heats up the floor. If so you definately have a open in your floor board. Shiit you might could just get the car on a lift somehow and find it that way. The only way I fixed it was to just weld it shut.

psycho_freke
09-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check into that. Might be able to get a rubber plug like the ones you find in the firewall if this is the case though, you think?

BallerDave04
09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
You might wanna wait to fix the problem until after winter LOL! It's right around the corner.

trc_gsr
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
your cat could be clogged and heating up, ive seen cats so clogged they were turning red, put it on a lift and look at the cat and try to see how much heat is coming from it, but then it again is a high flow cat, those don't usually go bad that often, but it is possible

psycho_freke
09-05-2008, 11:48 PM
your cat could be clogged and heating up, ive seen cats so clogged they were turning red, put it on a lift and look at the cat and try to see how much heat is coming from it, but then it again is a high flow cat, those don't usually go bad that often, but it is possible

If it were going bad, I'm sure I'd be throwing codes by now.

You might wanna wait to fix the problem until after winter LOL! It's right around the corner.

LOL, yeah I thought about winter just being around the corner!

9ussy
09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
same thing happens to me also.. so i don't know whats wrong.. i have a test pipe or straight pipe whatever so i don't know if that would be causing the problem??

1CleanEg
09-06-2008, 04:10 AM
man i have the same problem. I have a 95 integra ls and it gets pretty annoying. I have no aftermarket parts at all and it happens.

psycho_freke
09-06-2008, 04:54 AM
I talked to my father, who drives a '92 DB1 and he said he also has this problem. Must just be the nature of the beast. There's gotta be something you can do about that, though!

Glides
09-06-2008, 06:42 AM
I talked to my father, who drives a '92 DB1 and he said he also has this problem. Must just be the nature of the beast. There's gotta be something you can do about that, though!

Yea. Get a fan like the overweight school bus driver that drove you to school and aim it at your feet. :)

slostang
09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I think all Honda (idk if this is what we are talkin about) always heatsoak. I know mine does. lol

Atlblkz06
09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
"Heat soak" has to do with the engine block/intercooler and other parts of the engine heating up from residual heat. Don't just throw out terminology like that.

I have this problem in my car and my car is freakin bone stock. The only way is to wrap the exhaust, add extra shielding, or insulation under the carpets in the floorboard area. Eventually I'm going to do all 3.

jtaylor48
09-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Exhaust wrap is known to cause rust problems especially in undercar applications. Just throwing that out there

JITB
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Exhaust wrap is known to cause rust problems especially in undercar applications. Just throwing that out there

i never had that problem with exh wrap.. and i had it for 3 years.

Its prob the heatshield that is probrably gone. From the aftermarket exhaust. Or you could really have a hole in the firewall form the auto-manual conversion... my shifter heats up after long drives.. b/c of the lack of heatshield form the aftermarket exhaust.

psycho_freke
09-08-2008, 03:01 AM
i never had that problem with exh wrap.. and i had it for 3 years.

Its prob the heatshield that is probrably gone. From the aftermarket exhaust. Or you could really have a hole in the firewall form the auto-manual conversion... my shifter heats up after long drives.. b/c of the lack of heatshield form the aftermarket exhaust.

Not sure which heat shield you're talking about. I do know that there is a heat shield under there near around the same area that keeps heating up. Not only is it not coming from the firewall, but there was no auto-manual conversion. The GSR only comes in manual. Aftermarket exhaust is the only one of these three possibilities you're giving me that may be a possibility.

JITB
09-08-2008, 03:25 AM
Not sure which heat shield you're talking about. I do know that there is a heat shield under there near around the same area that keeps heating up. Not only is it not coming from the firewall, but there was no auto-manual conversion. The GSR only comes in manual. Aftermarket exhaust is the only one of these three possibilities you're giving me that may be a possibility.

whoops i was reading twinJ's comment and i thought u did the conversion.

But there is a heatshield (or should be) on Oem exhaust, like above the Cat, and or under the shifter linkage, to keep heat from coming in thru the floor like that. and to protect the bushings in the shhifter linkage.

psycho_freke
09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
whoops i was reading twinJ's comment and i thought u did the conversion.

But there is a heatshield (or should be) on Oem exhaust, like above the Cat, and or under the shifter linkage, to keep heat from coming in thru the floor like that. and to protect the bushings in the shhifter linkage.

Yeah, I've still got that.