PDA

View Full Version : General Chat WHY does everyone seem let down by the GTR

hybrid90accord
09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
well ive been a fan of the Skyline since i first saw a r33, and its actually my favorite. They are a very well rounded car even though its heavy and have the powerplant that can put out high numbers, but i dont think nissan's true intension when they built that car is to have a 1100hp highway battle, Z06 and 911 killing 215mph highway run monster out of the RB26. i know we have all played GT4 and watched it spank much ass, lol. I just wonder why in 2008 everyone seems so be so angry now that the GTR is finally in the United states/ is it the price tag, isnt it an expensive car over in jap also? Was everyone thinking that with a intake upgrade and exhaust it was gonna get a 300hp gain and kill every car on the streets? The supra's, Rx-7's, VR4's, R32,R33,R34's all were not killing machines in stock form just wonder why people expectation were so high and why are so many angry??

http://www.skylinegtr.8k.com/r33/eng.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/2028552468_c2b1320896.jpg?v=0

KevinT707
09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
True, I feel where you're coming from homie.

alpine_aw11
09-05-2008, 04:06 PM
It's because of how they designed the car. It doesn't resemble the older Skylines in any way. It's not a car you can maintain yourself at low cost, and it's loaded with electronics that take away from the true experience of driving that the R34 and before had. It's just too radical of a change from the older models for most to accept.

Elbow
09-05-2008, 04:25 PM
^Pretty much it.

87 Turbo II
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
It's a great car, but Skylines had enough computers as it is in the R34, it's just too much.

Glides
09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually. When the latest generation Supras and RX7's came out, they were killers.

To understand the difference, you need to go back to a time when you either were not alive, or were still peeing your Underoos. The Supra, the RX7, the Z car.....all were poor mans sports cars. They were made for you and me, the everyday guy that couldn't afford Porsches.

Fast forward to the Mid-eighties and the Automotive electronics age and they started getting more and more heavy, crammed with techno-wizardy and hoopla. THe price went up, the weight went up and the performance went down.

The last gasp for the Big 3. The RX7, the Supra and the Z car came in 93 or so when they brought out the Latest turbo incarnations. All Twin Turbo, all 40k or more fully loaded and all supposed to be Vette Killers. They lost the original intent of what the car lines were designed for. Poor mans performance.

Now, take the Skyline. It was always designed to be upper crust performance. It has always been associated with BIG gains in performance. Always detuned. It was a tuners wet dream. Think of it as a Virgin and when you stuck it to her the first time, she came alive and wanted more and more and more with no limit. So then you get 1100hp Skylines. 500-700 being commonplace.

Enter the new Skyline. No longer is it straight 6 performance. No longer can you bolt on exhaust and a bigger turbor and go big. Hell, you can't bolt anything on or you void your entire warranty. Now add in the fact that the Pre-production numbers of the test GTR's were incredible.......but the showroom ones can't compare to the test ones and you get everyones dissappointment.

But in the end, who the hell cares. If you like the GTR and can afford one, buy it.

JITB
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
It's because of how they designed the car. It doesn't resemble the older Skylines in any way. It's not a car you can maintain yourself at low cost, and it's loaded with electronics that take away from the true experience of driving that the R34 and before had. It's just too radical of a change from the older models for most to accept.

GTR's have NEVER been cheap cars. And hell even Skylines are a pretty penny. Gtr's have ALWAYS! had electronics. The R34..has just as much Technology as the 35 has. Its not radical..... i dont think you all really looked into it. The R35's interior is almost identical to the 34's setup from the dash, to the gauge, to the Navigation unit.

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/46794/2004857937332561688_rs.jpg
http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/49052/2004850857756120595_rs.jpg
http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/40981/2003695556150164050_rs.jpg

http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_large/17491_e.jpg?Nissan-Skyline-R34-GTR-V-Spec-II-N1-2003-Modified-Cars
http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2008/01/live-shots-of-the-nissan-gt-r-interior.jpg

The gtr is obviously bigger, but ther is no newer generation of car that looses weight. Its just not gonna happen... safety equipment and technology is heavy. But they are very much similar, the front ends, are the biggest difference, btu the overall profile is so so similar!

The r34 is only 3oolbs lighter than the 35..

alpine_aw11
09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I was talking about maintenance costs... I mean I'm pretty sure you can get an R35 for cheaper than a R34, but which one is easier/cheaper to maintain? Definitely not the R35. Plus when you add on the extra new electronics, just more potential repairs. And pretty much any modification voids your warranty, so you're ****ed. In the long run, an R34 would be much cheaper and easier to keep running.

nreggie454
09-05-2008, 07:39 PM
It isn't a drivers' car. If I wanted my car to do all the racing for me, I would buy a set of slot cars and save 80k.

/thread

JITB
09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I was talking about maintenance costs... I mean I'm pretty sure you can get an R35 for cheaper than a R34, but which one is easier/cheaper to maintain? Definitely not the R35. Plus when you add on the extra new electronics, just more potential repairs. And pretty much any modification voids your warranty, so you're ****ed. In the long run, an R34 would be much cheaper and easier to keep running.

When the r34 came out im sure the maintenace was crazy also. And now people are familliar with the car. So you wont have to go the dealer to repair or maintenance.

Im sur ethe 35 is jsut as reliable as the 34.

And HOW MANY CARS CAN YOU MOD AND NOT VOID THE WARRANTY? Cmon man you can throw a exhaust on a civic and the warranty will be voided..

and how do u know which will be easier to maintain in the end.. the car hasnt even been released for a year?

Glides
09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
When the r34 came out im sure the maintenace was crazy also. And now people are familliar with the car. So you wont have to go the dealer to repair or maintenance.

And HOW MANY CARS CAN YOU MOD AND NOT VOID THE WARRANTY? Cmon man you can throw a exhaust on a civic and the warranty will be voided..

and how do u know which will be easier to maintain in the end.. the car hasnt even been released for a year?

Okay, you might want to check on the GTR a bit. You cannot go anywhere but the dealer for ANY maintenance. No oil changes, nothing. Do so, and warranty is voided.

Reliability isn't a problem. Theres a warranty on the car for a reason.

The thread was about why people are dissappointed with the car. Not everyone is dissappointed. But the reason they are is because of the wildly varying performance numbers and how they are radically different from the test cars that were released to the magazines.

Theres nothing wrong with the car. I think it's hot.

antiv6
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
well ive been a fan of the Skyline since i first saw a r33, and its actually my favorite. They are a very well round car(heavy) and have the powerplant that can put out high numbers, but i dont think nissan's true intension when they built that car is to have a 1100hp highway battle, Z06 and 911 killing 215hp highway run monster out of the RB26. i know we have all played GT4 and watched it spank much ass, lol. I just wonder why in 2008 everyone seems so be so angry now that the GTR is finally in the United states/ is it the price tag, isnt it an expensive car over in jap also? Was everyone thinking that with a intake upgrade and exhaust it was gonna get a 300hp gain and kill every car on the streets? The supra's, Rx-7's, VR4's, R32,R33,R34's all were not killing machines in stock form just wonder why people expectation were so high and why are so many angry??

they also didnt cost 70k +. if i was gonna drop that much money on a performance car it better be beating everything else on the street

C-loS109
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
i personally really like them

but what my question is, why do people talk so much crap when a skyline pulls up to a meet and everybody is drawn to it. why? bet u if it was ur car u wouldnt be saying nothing. jealousy, i think, its the cause of this.

OneSlow5pt0
09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
i personally really like them

but what my question is, why do people talk so much crap when a skyline pulls up to a meet and everybody is drawn to it. why? bet u if it was ur car u wouldnt be saying nothing. jealousy, i think, its the cause of this.

i for one have never stared at a skyline at meet,i just look at like another car.........only imports that affect me that way is Rotary cars

C-loS109
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
i for one have never stared at a skyline at meet,i just look at like another car.........only imports that affect me that way is Rotary cars

but do u talk crap about how people are drawn to it?

Catnip
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
http://a341.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/108/l_2ff8d61210b08c96fa516e5966076e84.jpg

OneSlow5pt0
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
but do u talk crap about how people are drawn to it?

lol,sure.......i dont see big deal,its a heavy coupe,ive never liked them and imo GTR is just new so eevryone is all over it,but Z06 still best bang for buck

alpine_aw11
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM

You absolutely cannot do maintenance on a GTR in your driveway. They took that aspect away that the older models had. Don't get me wrong, I love them and they're great cars. They just don't seem to fit the mold of the older generation Skylines. Granted, a GTR is a much better car from the factory than the older generations, but as of now it doesn't have the potential. We'll see how it goes when it can be extensively modded.

JITB
09-06-2008, 03:11 AM
You absolutely cannot do maintenance on a GTR in your driveway. They took that aspect away that the older models had. Don't get me wrong, I love them and they're great cars. They just don't seem to fit the mold of the older generation Skylines. Granted, a GTR is a much better car from the factory than the older generations, but as of now it doesn't have the potential. We'll see how it goes when it can be extensively modded.

how do u know? you cna jack up a GTR remove the underpanels, and change the oil just like any other car.. just like u would to your car. How many modified cars actually go to the dealer anyway for anything. i mean people by bentleys and dont touch them either. they go to the dealer for their services.

When any high-perf car is released the warranty bug always bites the owners. Remember when subaru/ mitsu was voiding warranties on cars that were registered with the Scca? i mean this stuff isnt new. The dealer wants to make money, and they are not their to fix anyone elses mistakes form poorly installing parts, or tearing up their car on a race track. The GTR is no different from any specialty vehicle, it comes with a warranty like any base model nissan, but it being a performance car the buyers are expected to abuse it, thats what its made for.

You take a car to any shop, while its still under warranty... and than try to take it to the dealer.. They aint touchin it, under that warranty.. Cmon you all know how it goes. Why is this a big deal or even a issue.

POTENTIAL!
GTR NO POTENIAL!
GTR HAS NO POTENTIAL!!
HE SAID THE GTR HAS NO POTENTIAL!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

VooDooXII
09-06-2008, 04:47 AM
I just think it's ugly...and pretentious.

Glides
09-06-2008, 07:12 AM
how do u know? you cna jack up a GTR remove the underpanels, and change the oil just like any other car.. just like u would to your car. How many modified cars actually go to the dealer anyway for anything. i mean people by bentleys and dont touch them either. they go to the dealer for their services.

As of right now. You touch ANYTHING on that car. You void the warranty. YES that means jacking it up, removing the underpanels and changing the oil. Do that, and you are without warranty. That is Factory. A dealer may tell you differently so that you buy the car, but per Nissan factory. You are screwed.

As for the GTR having no potential......um.....i'm gonna stand next to you and make funny faces on that one. NO POTENTIAL?!?!?!?!

Some companies have already developed parts for it. Mines has an exhaust that makes an extra 20hp more. Now, this catback system is NOT approved for the car. Some Japanese dealers are turning a blind eye to it or so the story goes. But in the end, they can strip your car of the warranty for changing it out. Now thats IN JAPAN that you might find them turning a blind eye. Not here. BIG difference between the 2.

Having worked in both the dealer and as a claims adjuster for Ford, I can tell you that in the end, all the warranty has to do is point to the line in the paragraph that says, "No modification". And that is that..if they want too. I have warrantied peoples cars with exhausts, cold air intakes, suspension mods (done right), and many others. But thats at the claims adjusters discretion. Most times you will not find a person that knows jakc**** about cars behind the phone and they will deny right away leaving you to fight it and 99% of the time lose. Then, they strip the warranty and you are left with nothing. Aftermarket warranties are different.

In the end, it boils down to a choice. Do you want your already fast car to go faster or don't you. If you do, then say bye bye to the warranty like a man and do what you want to do. If not, don't.

But the warranty is NOT the reason why people are dissappointed. It is the difference between pre-release test car numbers and showroom delivery cars.
You can complain about warrenties all day, but you are barking up the wrong tree.

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I never said it doesn't have any potential, way to take my statement out of context. But as of now, you can't build a GTR to be better than a built R34. If you can't see that, then you really are a fanboy. Good luck finding an R35 that would touch this.

http://i33.tinypic.com/259yd5v.jpg

Elbow
09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
^Considering that's BARELY even a real street R34 I agree...

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
^Considering that's BARELY even a real street R34 I agree...

Yea I know, but I'm just saying there probably won't be a GTR that's on that level for a while.

JITB
09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
As of right now. You touch ANYTHING on that car. You void the warranty. YES that means jacking it up, removing the underpanels and changing the oil. Do that, and you are without warranty. That is Factory. A dealer may tell you differently so that you buy the car, but per Nissan factory. You are screwed.

As for the GTR having no potential......um.....i'm gonna stand next to you and make funny faces on that one. NO POTENTIAL?!?!?!?!

Some companies have already developed parts for it. Mines has an exhaust that makes an extra 20hp more. Now, this catback system is NOT approved for the car. Some Japanese dealers are turning a blind eye to it or so the story goes. But in the end, they can strip your car of the warranty for changing it out. Now thats IN JAPAN that you might find them turning a blind eye. Not here. BIG difference between the 2.

Having worked in both the dealer and as a claims adjuster for Ford, I can tell you that in the end, all the warranty has to do is point to the line in the paragraph that says, "No modification". And that is that..if they want too. I have warrantied peoples cars with exhausts, cold air intakes, suspension mods (done right), and many others. But thats at the claims adjusters discretion. Most times you will not find a person that knows jakc**** about cars behind the phone and they will deny right away leaving you to fight it and 99% of the time lose. Then, they strip the warranty and you are left with nothing. Aftermarket warranties are different.

In the end, it boils down to a choice. Do you want your already fast car to go faster or don't you. If you do, then say bye bye to the warranty like a man and do what you want to do. If not, don't.

But the warranty is NOT the reason why people are dissappointed. It is the difference between pre-release test car numbers and showroom delivery cars.
You can complain about warrenties all day, but you are barking up the wrong tree.

i know the warranty will be voided.. for anything. Its nothing new...with any new performance car, manufacturers are anal with their warranties. i didnt say the GTR has no potential.. other guy did... i was just shocked he would say such a insane thing.

And i dont know where u get the pre-release numbers wrong? The GTR hasnt let us down with production numbers either. They are pretty much the same as what they said it would be. They said 480hp at the crank.. And reportedly makes up to 550hp at the crank. Where are u all getting this information from?

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
i know the warranty will be voided.. for anything. Its nothing new...with any new performance car, manufacturers are anal with their warranties. i didnt say the GTR has no potential.. other guy did... i was just shocked he would say such a insane thing.

And i dont know where u get the pre-release numbers wrong? The GTR hasnt let us down with production numbers either. They are pretty much the same as what they said it would be. They said 480hp at the crank.. And reportedly makes up to 550hp at the crank. Where are u all getting this information from?

I never said it had no potential...jesus christ.

JITB
09-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I never said it doesn't have any potential, way to take my statement out of context. But as of now, you can't build a GTR to be better than a built R34. If you can't see that, then you really are a fanboy. Good luck finding an R35 that would touch this.

lol find me a street legal R34 that will lap the ring under 7:29... :yes:

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Guarantee you it's been done. And if it hasn't, I'm sure there's plenty that are more than capable. Just because you're so hung up on defending the almighty GTR doesn't mean an R34 doesn't have WAY more potential AS OF NOW. If you say otherwise, you=fanboy. Plain and simple. Down the road, I'm sure R35's will be built to catch up, but it's obviously not happening right now.

JITB
09-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Guarantee you it's been done. And if it hasn't, I'm sure there's plenty that are more than capable. Just because you're so hung up on defending the almighty GTR doesn't mean an R34 doesn't have WAY more potential AS OF NOW. If you say otherwise, you=fanboy. Plain and simple. Down the road, I'm sure R35's will be built to catch up, but it's obviously not happening right now.

lol why are u so hostile? im just responding to your facts. you say a car can do something... And you dont even know or have proof that the R34 has done so.

And it HASNT! the best R34 street legal time was around 7:50, and that wasnt even certified. GTR makes Almost double the Hp of the R34 stock, and only weighs 300lbs more. R34 cant touch the R35 in stock form. R34 Doesnt even have alot of track racing victories under its belt as far as world records, and back to back victories. 1/4 mile, and time attack world records yes. The R32 and R33 are the ones with the impressive times and that was beating up on all the super cars on the track.

im not defending anything but these crazy message board rumor/Facts your posting that arent even true. You entitled to your own opinion, but ill go back and forth with you on these facts.

yungdz
09-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I think people hate on the GTR so much because of the Hype building it up and the fact that they can't afford the 70K. All this crap about it not being a real performance car because of the technology put into it is BS when that tecnology is put into it to enhance the driving experience. Its 2008 for christ sake, computers are everywhere. Even the new Evo and Sti are more expensive because of the tech in them. It doesn't drive itself, in fact, not everyone can drive the damn thing like its supposed to be driven. Even the dude on TopGear got whiplash while testing it on the track. And everyones butthurt because its a better performing car than almost anything out right now from the factory. And as far as pricing goes compared to other GTR's, try and order a used r34 GTR from Japan and expect to spend 60k+, and it doesn't even perform as well from the factory.

Bottom line people hate on the GTR to try and look cool by being different from the hype but that ****s getting just like Emo kids, trying to be different from everyone else but because so many are into it its just wierd.

Me86Rob
09-06-2008, 01:53 PM
the thing that did it for me is the tranny. why have a sports car like that, a drivers car, and not offer it in a standard tranny. so yea, its got padle shifters, but who cares. i want to have to manually engage/dissengage the clutch via a pedal.

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
It just lost what the old Skylines had. They used to be sleeping giants. Great when you bought them, but no where near what they were meant to be. You had to work at it. The R35 doesn't offer that at all. You get everything right out of the box. It just depends on how you look at it. There's nothing wrong with not liking a GTR, I think they're pretty incredible personally but I'd take a R33 any day over a GTR. It really all depends on your personal outlook regarding what you want out of a car, so I guess there's no point arguing over it.

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
\Bottom line people hate on the GTR to try and look cool by being different from the hype but that ****s getting just like Emo kids, trying to be different from everyone else but because so many are into it its just wierd.

Just because you don't have the balls to have your own opinion and run with the OMFG ID BUST ON A GTR IF I SAW ONE doesn't mean I'm like an "emo" kid. That's seriously the dumbest GTR fanboy statement I've seen thus far. Yea, my opinion on the GTR is solely to look cool.:rolleyes:

Elbow
09-06-2008, 03:04 PM
It just lost what the old Skylines had. They used to be sleeping giants. Great when you bought them, but no where near what they were meant to be. You had to work at it. The R35 doesn't offer that at all. You get everything right out of the box. It just depends on how you look at it. There's nothing wrong with not liking a GTR, I think they're pretty incredible personally but I'd take a R33 any day over a GTR. It really all depends on your personal outlook regarding what you want out of a car, so I guess there's no point arguing over it.

One thing to understand, the new GTR isn't even classed the way the old ones were. This is marketed towards the same people who buy high end cars and exotics. Cars that are good from the factory and nice DD's. This is not a tuner car, wasn't supposed to be.

1SICKLEX
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
What? the R34 weighed a ton compared to the competition and has TONs of electronics. Every GT-R from the R32 on got bigger, heavier with more gizmos.

The R35 continued that tradition. The GT-R never has been about purity but about technology overcoming physics.

Who is let down by the GT-R? Maybe 12 people? EVery review and every person loves it, even if they feel its a lil detached (steering) but it ALWAYS has been like that.

Demand is huge, Nissan can't build enough.

1SICKLEX
09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It hasn't been done. There is no proof of it ever being done. There are only a handful of vehicles under 7:30, most are either race cars or pretty much "kit" cars.

Just b/c a car has more power does not mean faster lap times.

I love the R34, fantastic car and a classic. The R35 simply takes it to another level stock. The R35s target was the Porsche 911 turbo.

I totally agree the R34/33/32 are the ones for tuners. The R35 has a blackbox and as stated, tehy WILL void the warrenty at will if they want to. We have seen though people crack the box (Mine for example) and companies modify the car. BBS released 20 sets of LMs for the GT-R.

It will take time but people will do it.

hybrid90accord
09-06-2008, 05:57 PM
How many people have actually driven a skyline(r32,r33,r34 or GTR???? I keep hear all this nissan has taken away from the driving experience this and that but 8 out of 10 people in their lifetime will never drive a GTR let alone owns on. So are we getting this info from magazines or racingflixx.com??????????? I dont see peopel left and right doing time attacks in them so how can you speak on something unless you have owned a older gtr and driven a new GTR. Gran turismo doesnt count

sTeadFasT
09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Isn't the GT-R built as a cheap supercar that's supposed to outperform? Not a Tuner car like the old? If so then I guess all the old fashion people get their panties in a bunch when they see the cars they've loved for the past however many years and see it change for a group of people not like themselves. I dunno.

RL...
09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
gt-r is da ****. period

it runs on par with lambos, ferrari's, porches, zo6's in 0-60, at a cheaper cost.

People just dont like to recognize...:D

the gt-r is a sophisticated automobile...all around...people just like to hate...

and this is the truth...people love to hate on others...

1SICKLEX
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
How many people have actually driven a skyline(r32,r33,r34 or GTR???? I keep hear all this nissan has taken away from the driving experience this and that but 8 out of 10 people in their lifetime will never drive a GTR let alone owns on. So are we getting this info from magazines or racingflixx.com??????????? I dont see peopel left and right doing time attacks in them so how can you speak on something unless you have owned a older gtr and driven a new GTR. Gran turismo doesnt count

Common agreement with enthusiasts and reviews have stated the GT-R is an ANIMAL, it has always been HP underated from the factory and it NEVER has been truly driver involved. To you and me, hell yeah it will be involved. To its competition, it simply is not as involving. Are some nitpicking? Surely yes, the Japanese have NEVER had the upper hand in review when it comes to bias outside of Honda.

Rule of thumb;
"You can be FASTEST around the track or you can be FUNNIEST around the track". There is a difference :)

That is NOT the GT-Rs purpose. The purpose is to be Japanese "Godzilla" and lay waste to the competition in a bigger, badder kind of way. GT-R=Fastest around the track. That is what its trying to do.

No I have not driven a GT-R BUT I am not going to disagree with decades of experts opinions.

Lets look at the competition. Porsche for example. The 911 Turbo is hardcore than most cars, it is AWD and Turbo. Even Porsche knows it is not "pure" with AWD. So what do they do? They create the RWD, lighter, GT3 and GT3 RS. Experts think those 2 are some of the greatest drivers cars ever made.

Even Audi is changing. The RS4 was the first Audi with a RWD 60/40 bias instead of 50/50 so it can be more "engaging" to the driver.

ATL_EG
09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
the only thing i don't like about the gtr is the tranny, i just can't see how the driving expirience could be the same

buuut if i had the $80k i'd more than likely pick one up:D

alpine_aw11
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
gt-r is da ****. period

it runs on par with lambos, ferrari's, porches, zo6's in 0-60, at a cheaper cost.

People just dont like to recognize...:D

the gt-r is a sophisticated automobile...all around...people just like to hate...

and this is the truth...people love to hate on others...

Typical GTR fanboy argument. Yes, it's fast. Faster than most. Overall it's a huge advancement in automotive technology. Does that mean everyone's going to blow their load when they see one like you would? Definitely not. It's not about the fact that it isn't an amazing car, it's about how they made it that way. Everyone has this dumb argument that someone can't say a GTR doesn't have the true driving experience because they'll never drive one. It's stupid, anyone can see from the technology it posesses that it does. It is far easier to control than most supercars are. Nissan will tell you that, and anyone who's driven a GTR will tell you that. Take an ACR for example, that thing won't correct itself for you if you **** up taking a corner. You have to take control of it, and the GTR eliminates having to do that. And the most obvious factor of all, paddle shifters ftl. Everyone has their own taste in what they want in a vehicle. Maybe you need to learn to recognize. BTW a zo6 is cheaper.

EJ25RUN
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I took the time to read everyones post and some good points have been brought up but some :no: points have been brought up too.

if i was gonna drop that much money on a performance car it better be beating everything else on the street

Street? You mean like street racing?......i'll give Nissan a call and see what they say about R&D for street racing. :rolleyes:

You absolutely cannot do maintenance on a GTR in your driveway.

As a person that has quiet a bit of car sales experience, i think i can safely say that people that buy a $70K car, will never do anything on it themselves. Ever.

Remember when subaru/ mitsu was voiding warranties on cars that were registered with the Scca?

This has to do with your relationship with your dealer's service dept. SOG used to be terrible but the writers know i'm an scca member and turn the other cheek.

Dude, seriously. When a car gets to the point where firewall's are moved back and the chassis is totally altered....is it really anything like a stock car?

I see that R34 to be as close to stock as this does to a stock R35

http://news2.as-web.jp/photo/news/200803/18125/web_big.jpg

The only thing that even comes to mind is the Falken R34 that ran the Nurburgring 24 years back. That car is a race car but i guess if you tried to get it as close to a street car as possible you'd still be under 7:29

http://www.gt-eins.de/Bilder/bfglm02/24hnring/044-001.jpg

But, yeah JITB. I can think of no street R34 faster than that time.

One thing to understand, the new GTR isn't even classed the way the old ones were. This is marketed towards the same people who buy high end cars and exotics.

True. As another member posted before, Japanese cars have climb to the top of the mountain and are now capable of asking top dollar for their highest products. In the Group A days when you had to make 2500 street examples of a car to race, the GTR had to exist and be sold to the public. By the time the R33 came out, it had become a true model instead of a "we just have to sell it". By 2008, the GTR has earned a name that can stand alone. Past Skylines used the GTR name as the top model. But just like the Celica Supra split into two different cars, this is the story with the Skyline and the GTR.

EJ25RUN
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
What? the R34 weighed a ton compared to the competition and has TONs of electronics. Every GT-R from the R32 on got bigger, heavier with more gizmos.

The R34 was smaller than the R33. But overall you are correct. The RB26 Iron block I6 was too heavy to stay competitive and the GT500 car moved to a 3.0 TT v6.

Demand is huge, Nissan can't build enough.

LOL, Aint that the truth

Nissan raises R35 GTR MSRP by nearly $7,000 (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/05/nissan-raises-gt-r-msrp-by-nearly-7-000/)

I totally agree the R34/33/32 are the ones for tuners. The R35 has a blackbox and as stated, tehy WILL void the warrenty at will if they want to. We have seen though people crack the box (Mine for example) and companies modify the car. BBS released 20 sets of LMs for the GT-R.

It will take time but people will do it.

I look at it differently. I see the R32 as the great development for Group A in 1989. Nissan took everything that worked already, and put it in a package that would effectively be the end of the sport. The R32 was Nissan's racing yardstick. It was never meant to be more than just another low production hyper car like the Cosworth Escort and Evo Mercedes 190.

About the tuners. Mines and MCR had their cars before they were released on the street so im sure Nissan had pretty much let them have first dibs.

Rule of thumb;
"You can be FASTEST around the track or you can be FUNNIEST around the track". There is a difference :)

Very true. This is why people like me believe in the H box transmission so much.

That is NOT the GT-Rs purpose. The purpose is to be Japanese "Godzilla" and lay waste to the competition in a bigger, badder kind of way. GT-R=Fastest around the track. That is what its trying to do.

I read the Godzilla name actually came from Australia when the R32 put the Holden/Ford V8's to shame and won both the 91 and 92 Bathurst 1000.

Elbow
09-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Isn't the GT-R built as a cheap supercar that's supposed to outperform? Not a Tuner car like the old? If so then I guess all the old fashion people get their panties in a bunch when they see the cars they've loved for the past however many years and see it change for a group of people not like themselves. I dunno.

Yes like I said. And I agree that's one reason. But for me that's not the reason I am not a fan of it.

HachiDori
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I think people in the US were upset because the skyline (r32,r33,r34) was never released here. Those are the "Gray market super cars" I'd love to rock a r32.

For some of us who don't have the wallet to modify, the R35 is damn near impossible to even get our hands on the " USDM" skyline.

Not too shabby for the ppl who can afford it!

Got Milk?
09-07-2008, 08:21 AM
True, I feel where you're coming from homie.

1SICKLEX
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
The R34 was smaller than the R33. But overall you are correct. The RB26 Iron block I6 was too heavy to stay competitive and the GT500 car moved to a 3.0 TT v6.

LOL, Aint that the truth

Nissan raises R35 GTR MSRP by nearly $7,000 (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/05/nissan-raises-gt-r-msrp-by-nearly-7-000/)

I look at it differently. I see the R32 as the great development for Group A in 1989. Nissan took everything that worked already, and put it in a package that would effectively be the end of the sport. The R32 was Nissan's racing yardstick. It was never meant to be more than just another low production hyper car like the Cosworth Escort and Evo Mercedes 190.

About the tuners. Mines and MCR had their cars before they were released on the street so im sure Nissan had pretty much let them have first dibs.

Very true. This is why people like me believe in the H box transmission so much.

I read the Godzilla name actually came from Australia when the R32 put the Holden/Ford V8's to shame and won both the 91 and 92 Bathurst 1000.

Good post, nothing to refute, I agree!! I do think the R34 is bigger than the R33 though...... but I could be wrong :)

RL...
09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
eehhh If I was rich I'd buy an audi r8......

EJ25RUN
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
eehhh If I was rich I'd buy an audi r8......

i sat in one at the Audi driving experience yesterday. I could have drove it if i spent the $600 for the entire Audi experience but :no: . The interior is amazing.