PDA

View Full Version : Turns over but won't run.

Catnip
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Car: 1989 VW Cabriolet

-Fuel IS getting to the motor
-NEW- spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, fuel pump, and fuel filter.
-Battery is up and has a good charge
-Spark from coil is orange
-Spark gets to the distributor cap from the coil wire
-Spark will leave the cap
-No spark at the end of the plug wires
-No spark from the plugs
-(holding these ignition components about a 1/4 inch from the head for a ground)

The exhaust smells like straight gas. The owner says before the fuel pump, he could spray starter fluid in the intake and it'd run for about 10 seconds. I installed the new parts mentioned and it just turns over sounding like it's trying to start every other revolution, but won't actually run. I transfered the plug wires/distributor cap one by one as to not mess up the firing order.

I'm lost as to what to try besides a coil, I believe it's a weak coil. Does this sound like a correct diagnosis?

turbob20
09-05-2008, 12:29 AM
hey man i know we didnt hit it off well but give me a chance. id say you most likely right because you should be getting a good healthy blue spark at the plug. what about ignition module,ignitor pack ect...is it getting too much fuel via sticking injectors? i mean im just trin to help, let me know if you get it goin and good luck.

1SOL2NV
09-05-2008, 04:05 AM
coil and igniter needs to be replaced .... should run fine .

Catnip
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
coil and igniter needs to be replaced .... should run fine .

Where's the igniter located on this car? or what is it hooked to?

I hate this car:cry:

Z0_o6
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
coil spark should not be orange. blue intense spark is what you are looking for. try a coil.

Catnip
09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
coil spark should not be orange. blue intense spark is what you are looking for. try a coil.

Just put a coil in and it has spark at the spark plugs now, but its still not running. Spark is strong at the spark plug too, no more orange.

Z0_o6
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
if you have air (duh) spark and fuel it will run. somethin is missing.

Catnip
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
if you have air (duh) spark and fuel it will run. somethin is missing.

theoretically...

lol

stephen
09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Car: 1989 VW Cabriolet

The exhaust smells like straight gas. The owner says before the fuel pump, he could spray starter fluid in the intake and it'd run for about 10 seconds. I installed the new parts mentioned and it just turns over sounding like it's trying to start every other revolution, but won't actually run. I transfered the plug wires/distributor cap one by one as to not mess up the firing order.

sounds like it may have jumped timing, or the belt broke. i'd try to check it with a timing light, or just pull the cover off.

1SOL2NV
09-06-2008, 01:06 AM
buy a new car ????? LOL ... .,... OLD GAS maybe .... ? how long did it sit b4 you got it ???? might have water mixed or not enough gas to start engine ? i had a guy who for the life of him could never get his 97 del sol SI to run ... so it sat 6 years without being cranked ..... the gas guage busted on him and after 6 years i added 10$ of gas ... runs like a dream lol ... stupid .. i know ..

Catnip
09-06-2008, 02:42 AM
buy a new car ????? LOL ... .,... OLD GAS maybe .... ? how long did it sit b4 you got it ???? might have water mixed or not enough gas to start engine ? i had a guy who for the life of him could never get his 97 del sol SI to run ... so it sat 6 years without being cranked ..... the gas guage busted on him and after 6 years i added 10$ of gas ... runs like a dream lol ... stupid .. i know ..

lol, well the car isn't mine, just "fixing" it for an old teacher. The gas doesn't smell too old, as stupid as that sounds... I've just smelled gas worse that will still make a car run. I guess I'll go put some gas in it tomorrow though... :D

1SOL2NV
09-06-2008, 02:45 AM
its worth a shot ... my sol ran like **** once when i put fresh gas in it ... but had water in it ... later made my fuel pump go out ..... may i ask why the fuel pump was replaced ? if thats the reason .. then the gas is still in the tank ? u feel me ? OCTANE BOOSTER works great 2 !

Catnip
09-06-2008, 02:51 AM
its worth a shot ... my sol ran like **** once when i put fresh gas in it ... but had water in it ... later made my fuel pump go out ..... may i ask why the fuel pump was replaced ? if thats the reason .. then the gas is still in the tank ? u feel me ? OCTANE BOOSTER works great 2 !

Pulled the pump because it just wasn't pumping. But yea, if it has a drain plug like most, I might just go ahead and drain the tank and put some fresh gas in. We'll see! You're definitely getting repped everytime I can rep you if this works. lol

1SOL2NV
09-06-2008, 02:56 AM
lol .. it worked for me ... its worth it by this point !!! uve replaced alot of stuff for it NOT to run ... its stupid **** that gets overlooked by many ( including myself) .

Catnip
09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
yeah, definitely worth a shot.:goodjob:

1SOL2NV
09-06-2008, 03:08 AM
keep us posted !

1SOL2NV
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
did it work ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?

Catnip
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
I haven't drained the gas, I talked to the owner and it's apparently only 1 month old and he advised against it. So I checked the firing order and it's all right, next thing is checking timing on the cam gear/balancer...